• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

What Walking Dead fans need to realise is that this is a natural hazing process.

I still remember Spider-Man being a second rate property to Batman and Superman in the eighties. (Marvel celebrated 25 years while Superman celebrated his 50th, within a few years of each other) I remember arguments about longevity and tradition.

I still remember TMNT being a second rate property compared to the Marvel and DC icons, even as late as ten years ago, disregarding their three movies, multiple cartoon iterations, toy lines, comic lines, etc.

Walking Dead still has to prove itself to comic book fans at large. Long term.

And it will.

Or it won't.

Nice perspective. I guess it's the typical case of what I know and love is awesome and what is new sucks.

I would never spend $10k on a 9.9 WD #1. I'm very content with my 9.6 for now. I'll eventually buy up to a 9.8

But I would spend $1,000,000 on the OA cover for #1 if I had it, and I wouldn't even lose sleep.

Now that's a "True Fan". These books and OA are for my PC, cause I love this story and show that much. It gets my heart racing. I don't mind if it lulls in story once in a while, I'm in it till the end.

MOAR DEAD PLEASE!!!

Complete hypothetical: Robert Kirkman dies. He is replaced by someone who clearly has no clue about what made Walking Dead tick. He introduced clones or some other out there idea to the series and now the series is exploring dead clones or some such nonsense. Maybe they introduce the devil and Rick makes a deal with the devil to bring his departed wife back to the living. The series gets even more popular than it use to be or it at least maintains its popularity, but mostly with new readers who have never read the title before. Do you stick with it?

hm

Interesting scenario. If I liked it, then I would still read it. If I didn't. I would drop it, but would still my current collection. For example, I love the Flash and still have a compete run of Vol 2 but go nowhere near the new 52 stuff.

You don't like it or are morally opposed to another reboot?

I just didn't like it. I'll try it again when a new writer takes over. I try not to blankety dismiss something. The idea of a reboot doesn't bother me, but what they did with it (poor output IMO) does.

I would never spend $10k on a 9.9 WD #1. I'm very content with my 9.6 for now. I'll eventually buy up to a 9.8

But I would spend $1,000,000 on the OA cover for #1 if I had it, and I wouldn't even lose sleep.

Now that's a "True Fan". These books and OA are for my PC, cause I love this story and show that much. It gets my heart racing. I don't mind if it lulls in story once in a while, I'm in it till the end.

MOAR DEAD PLEASE!!!

Complete hypothetical: Robert Kirkman dies. He is replaced by someone who clearly has no clue about what made Walking Dead tick. He introduced clones or some other out there idea to the series and now the series is exploring dead clones or some such nonsense. Maybe they introduce the devil and Rick makes a deal with the devil to bring his departed wife back to the living. The series gets even more popular than it use to be or it at least maintains its popularity, but mostly with new readers who have never read the title before. Do you stick with it?

hm

Man, I cannot believe I missed the obvious. :facepalm: We find out the survivors are all clones and they introduce the real version of the survivors with the intent of knocking off the clone survivors. In this way, we ultimately get back some of the older characters who have died off. It turns our the Rick and company we have been following are not the real Rick and company.

Edited by rjrjr

Interesting scenario. If I liked it, then I would still read it. If I didn't. I would drop it, but would still my current collection. For example, I love the Flash and still have a compete run of Vol 2 but go nowhere near the new 52 stuff.

You don't like it or are morally opposed to another reboot?

I just didn't like it. I'll try it again when a new writer takes over. I try not to blankety dismiss something. The idea of a reboot doesn't bother me, but what they did with it (poor output IMO) does.

Yeah, I can see that. New 52 hasn't been great, but I can only re-read my omnibuses or showcase/masterpiece series so many times...

What Walking Dead fans need to realise is that this is a natural hazing process.

I still remember Spider-Man being a second rate property to Batman and Superman in the eighties. (Marvel celebrated 25 years while Superman celebrated his 50th, within a few years of each other) I remember arguments about longevity and tradition.

I still remember TMNT being a second rate property compared to the Marvel and DC icons, even as late as ten years ago, disregarding their three movies, multiple cartoon iterations, toy lines, comic lines, etc.

And it will.

Or it won't.

Nice perspective. I guess it's the typical case of what I know and love is awesome and what is new sucks.

My personal opinion is that TWD IS the next big thing and hands down, the most important modern book.

And it will.

Or it won't.

My personal opinion is that TWD IS the next big thing and hands down, the most important modern book.

Aside from the price tag...what is it that makes it the next big thing & the most important modern book?

And it will.

Or it won't.

Aside from the price tag...what is it that makes it the next big thing & the most important modern book?

personal opinion

And it will.

Or it won't.

personal opinion

Care to elaborate?

And it will.

Or it won't.

personal opinion

Care to elaborate?

can't, it isn't my personal opinion...

I'm with you on the Flash statement…I loved having Wally West at the helm. It's like 'to heck with the 20+ years of Wally West…welcome back, Barry!"

I like Barry, too…but I grew up with Wally. :frustrated:

I'm with you on the Flash statement…I loved having Wally West at the helm. It's like 'to heck with the 20+ years of Wally West…welcome back, Barry!"

I like Barry, too…but I grew up with Wally. :frustrated:

#ThanksDC

And it will.

Or it won't.

personal opinion

Care to elaborate?

Have you read TWD? I can promise you issues 1-48 are worth a 230+ page thread about debating its longterm relevance. It's great story. Not my favorite, but a great story.

Rick Grimes meets a new villain who calls himself the Devil :idea:

Kirkman dies and they relaunch Dead like the New 52 :idea:

The Duck Dynasty crew makes a guest appearance on the season four finale, destroying the entire universe :idea:

In 2 years all the dead fans turn against the series and turn toward My Little Pony (scarier than zombies) :idea:

I like the first idea the best.....

And it will.

Or it won't.

personal opinion

Care to elaborate?

Have you read TWD? I can promise you issues 1-48 are worth a 230+ page thread about debating its longterm relevance. It's great story. Not my favorite, but a great story.

Anyone who hasn't read the comic and comments on this thread should go read the book then come back.

I am not some zombie lover. I am a Marvel guy ....it's in my DNA. But, the writing in TWD comic was/is phenomenal.

It's the only comic I have pulled at my LCS and that i've read the whole run. Seriously that says a lot coming from a superhero fan. In the runs I collect of Iron Man, Thor, etc, there are pockets of story arcs that are great but I never had a book pull me in for 50 issues and me still wanting more.

Anyway, that's my perspective.

Rick Grimes meets a new villain who calls himself the Devil :idea:

Kirkman dies and they relaunch Dead like the New 52 :idea:

The Duck Dynasty crew makes a guest appearance on the season four finale, destroying the entire universe :idea:

In 2 years all the dead fans turn against the series and turn toward My Little Pony (scarier than zombies) :idea:

I like the first idea the best.....

lol nice!!

Anyone who hasn't read the comic and comments on this thread should go read the book then come back.

I am not some zombie lover. I am a Marvel guy ....it's in my DNA. But, the writing in TWD comic was/is phenomenal.

It's the only comic I have pulled at my LCS and that i've read the whole run. Seriously that says a lot coming from a superhero fan. In the runs I collect of Iron Man, Thor, etc, there are pockets of story arcs that are great but I never had a book pull me in for 50 issues and me still wanting more.

Anyway, that's my perspective.

TRUTH.

I have read the first 96 issues twice. It pulls you in and you keep turning the pages. I remember the first time I read it and how big my eyes got during certain section, me cursing out loud when mess went down and being continually blown away with the story that unfolded before me.

I agree with what was said earlier about this being the normal "hazing" that happens with a series. It's easy to pick apart something that's popular, especially if you're not a fan. It's like me trying to understand Pokémon. I still don't get it (shrug)

I grew up on Marvel, but the Walking Dead has established itself as a solid series that I think will be relevant for years to come.

2c

(Okay.... Bring the hate)