• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

Pittsburgh is a zombie mecca. Out at one of Todds (he is a senior overstreet advisor) stores at century 3, they have all the early Walking dead issues collecting dust for about 6 months now in the case. At the mills store they have a bunch of walking dead back issues to on display noone seems to be interested in. (they actually downsized the Walking dead section at Cranberry last year)

At the recent Pittsburgh Comic-con usually there are lots of people buying walking dead merchandise but this year was definitely a bust.

Zombies are definitely fading a bit but thats the thing. I dont think the book will ever drop below $500, even when the dust settles.

But realistically, looking at the census numbers (quite a few 9.8's there) there is no way this book can maintain such a high value.. especially with the sharp decline in zombie popularity this last year... the fact every season but the first is kind of bad isnt doing the book good either.

everything boils down to census numbers vs demand. however this book despite the 10,000 print run was still horded and there are hundreds if not,thousands of 9.8's out there.

The fact walking dead #1 is selling for the same price or more than a 9.8 bronze key is sort of wonky considering those rare bronze 9.8's have as few 5-25 total in the census.

Pittsburgh is a zombie mecca. Out at one of Todds (he is a senior overstreet advisor) stores at century 3, they have all the early Walking dead issues collecting dust for about 6 months now in the case. At the mills store they have a bunch of walking dead back issues to on display noone seems to be interested in. (they actually downsized the Walking dead section at Cranberry last year)

At the recent Pittsburgh Comic-con usually there are lots of people buying walking dead merchandise but this year was definitely a bust.

Zombies are definitely fading a bit but thats the thing. I dont think the book will ever drop below $500, even when the dust settles.

But realistically, looking at the census numbers (quite a few 9.8's there) there is no way this book can maintain such a high value.. especially with the sharp decline in zombie popularity this last year... the fact every season but the first is kind of bad isnt doing the book good either.

everything boils down to census numbers vs demand. however this book despite the 10,000 print run was still horded and there are hundreds if not,thousands of 9.8's out there.

The fact walking dead #1 is selling for the same price or more than a 9.8 bronze key is sort of wonky considering those rare bronze 9.8's have as few 5-25 total in the census.

I respectfully disagree. By now WD 1 is a well entrenched modern blue chip key, to the point where people buy on the dips, thus raising the price back up whenever it falls below a certain level. Its initial print run is actually closer to 7300, not near the 10k you mentioned, and while 700 9.8/9.9's on the census certainly sounds like a lot, it is not as though they are all on the market simultaneously, and clearly their scarce availability at any given time is enough to maintain a very strong price point.

-J.

WD 2, CGC 9.8 just sold for $1,030.00. I believe the earlier issues will still sell well and that iss 19 is going to remain solid. 9.8 sig books also seem to be doing well.

I will say that sales of Walking Dead books have slowed at the last three shows I've done. My best Walking Dead seller was a killer deal on the regular run of Compendium 1 & 2, which I was selling as a set for $60.00 - needless to say, I sold out.

At the last show I did this month in Salem, Oregon, my Walking Dead single issue sales did better than at both Wizard World Portland and the Rose City Comic Con. The previous year I could not keep a good stock of Walking Dead books.

Seeing books sit at shops for months on end, I think of that more on a regional level and maybe a lack of exposure - after all, if you have the same customers coming in and out of your shop all the time and there's no interest from them in those books, they're going to be sitting a while. 2c

Hate to say it because he's a nice guy, but Todd is an Overstreet advisor due to having 5 stores and massive volumes. He doesn't really know Moderns. If I were him, I'd be following this board closely or having one of his minions follow it, and as soon as something hits, send a mass email to each store to pull the hot books. He was slow at catching on that Walking Dead was getting big, so I went to two stores right before the show hit and did the "Buy 50, get 50% Off" cover, then by season two, he's finally pricing the comics at "Dealer" prices (i.e the prices at comic shows that you laugh at, when non-key, non-anything issues are priced at $40.00 each...), and they won't sell.

Another example, the last $1.00 basement sale was, I recall a full week after the DMZ news hit. Picked up 6 copies of DMZ #1 in the basement and flipped them for $30.00 each on average. I know that is chump change to him, but I'll bet you if he comes across a copy now, it will be at $50.00 and no-one will want it.

The only reason i wouldn't consider his stores goldmines is because the lack of bag/boards, and things get beat up over the years.

As stated many times, the true test of this book will come well after the television show has ended. I really don't see too much demand for Westerns, but I can assure you the situation woukd be very different if any of those books were based on a current popular television series.

WD is not a 'blue chip.' I would much rather take a wager on a scare first print copper key issue like TMNT than go anywhere near this book.

We'll see what happens in the next several years, but I have to ask why would you want to buy a book when it is 'hot'? The same can be said for NM 98 as well

If you think about Walking Dead TV series has now lasted longer then the original Star Trek series.

TOS had 3 seasons, while Walking Dead is past it. TWD even will have more seasons then Lost.

One thing I know is TWD stuff sells fast from the Trade paperbacks to the action figures.

I don`t see the bubble popping soon. :cloud9:

If you think about Walking Dead TV series has now lasted longer then the original Star Trek series.

TOS had 3 seasons, while Walking Dead is past it. TWD even will have more seasons then Lost.

One thing I know is TWD stuff sells fast from the Trade paperbacks to the action figures.

You are comparing a television show based on a comic book with a long running successful science fiction franchise that went through a lot to become what it is today. Again, there is no comparison. Assuming even if the Walking Dead franchise survives in another medium (outside of comic books) even after the television show was cancelled I doubt very much it would ever be as big as Star Trek.

Very few television shows come back on the air after being cancelled and even fewer go on to becoming successful multimedia franchises. Is there a Star Trek television series still running on television now? No. The last series started off with much fanfare and quickly succumbed to bad ratings and an inflated budget that quickly led to its demise. Combine that with the fact that fans got sick of the then current storyline and the reason fro the movie reboot was obvious.

Walking Dead's test will not come until a few years after the show is officially cancelled. That is when interest in the series will fall and most likely the price of the books will start to undergo a correction in price.

I respectfully disagree. By now WD 1 is a well entrenched modern blue chip key, to the point where people buy on the dips, thus raising the price back up whenever it falls below a certain level. Its initial print run is actually closer to 7300, not near the 10k you mentioned, and while 700 9.8/9.9's on the census certainly sounds like a lot, it is not as though they are all on the market simultaneously, and clearly their scarce availability at any given time is enough to maintain a very strong price point.

-J.

"modern | blue chip | key"

lol

Oxymoron: a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect, or are expressions composed of words that are not inherently mutually exclusive but express an opinion that the two cannot occur together.

(shrug)

-J.

lol

Oxymoron: a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect, or are expressions composed of words that are not inherently mutually exclusive but express an opinion that the two cannot occur together.

(shrug)

I would have to agree. I don't think any true 'blue chips' from the modern era have yet to be established.

-J.

lol

(shrug)

I would have to agree. I don't think any true 'blue chips' from the modern era have yet to be established.

I would have to disagree.

WD #1 even though over valued by 25%-35% till the show ends is still a blue chip book.

AF 15 of the modern age.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

You are comparing a television show based on a comic book with a long running successful science fiction franchise that went through a lot to become what it is today. Again, there is no comparison. Assuming even if the Walking Dead franchise survives in another medium (outside of comic books) even after the television show was cancelled I doubt very much it would ever be as big as Star Trek.

Very few television shows come back on the air after being cancelled and even fewer go on to becoming successful multimedia franchises. Is there a Star Trek television series still running on television now? No. The last series started off with much fanfare and quickly succumbed to bad ratings and an inflated budget that quickly led to its demise. Combine that with the fact that fans got sick of the then current storyline and the reason fro the movie reboot was obvious.

Walking Dead's test will not come until a few years after the show is officially cancelled. That is when interest in the series will fall and most likely the price of the books will start to undergo a correction in price.

the only other tv series to air for many many years. get cancelled and not produced in years, then picked up again and is even more popular even getting good ratings in the united states that it did not do before , Dr Who,

there may only be a few comics published but the merchandising, toys ect is world wide

-J.

lol

(shrug)

I would have to disagree.

WD #1 even though over valued by 25%-35% till the show ends is still a blue chip book.

AF 15 of the modern age.

eh, might be a little early to call it the "AF 15" of the modern age. AF 15 only is what it is because generation after generation of children have fallen in love with Spiderman and grown old enough spend a butt-load (sorry for the technical term) on his first appearance.

Its been what, just under 11 years since WD 1 was released? Popular or not, I might give it a bit more time before I equivalize it to one of the most highly collected and revered books in the hobby...

You know, just to be sure and all.

:D

Edited by rfoiii