• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

This thread is a lot like all the Hulk #181 threads in the mid 2000's when people were wondering how much higher Hulk #181 was going to go.

Just substitute WD #1 for Hulk #181 and we can relive them all over again.

The only difference is Walking Dead #1 is much rarer!

I think Hulk #181 had a print run between 200,000 to 300,000,while

WD had 7,000.

7500 :foryou:

Hulk #181 bubble is already bursting. (thumbs u Well the realistic supply pricing anyway.

This thread is a lot like all the Hulk #181 threads in the mid 2000's when people were wondering how much higher Hulk #181 was going to go.

WD had 7,000.

Hulk #181 bubble is already bursting. (thumbs u Well the realistic supply pricing anyway.

Hulk #181 has strong upward support in every grade up to 9.4 as prices have been rising in all grades up to (and including 9.4).

9.6 and 9.8 might be levelling off but that is happening on all books.

People adapt to what's available. I doubt many people would want a VF WD 1. Hell most of the guys i know that are into it will only go for a CGC 9.8.

Actually, most people who are into this stuff would gleefully pick up the VF WD 1 as the 9.8 )and 9.0 - 9.6) is out of their budgets. They might not pay 5X guide for it or any of that nonsense, but I assure you, if my local shop(s) put a WD 1 in VF up for 1 - 2X guide it would be bought in a couple of days, just like the $50 GS X-Men 1 with the taped up spine was gone in a couple of days.

I got $50 for the 1st app. of Father Gabriel and it had a big fat spine tick right in the middle of the spine, probably wouldn't have gotten better thana VF from CGC.

I was looking at some old Overstreet price guides,and it like took about 20 years for AF #15 and FF # 1 to be worth $1500 in near mint. It is amazing how Walking Dead #1 has broken the $1000 dollar mark in less then 9 years. I think no comic key has ever broken $1000 comic as it`s value in less then a decade like Walking Dead has.

hm

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1?

Maybe which goes to show that the Walking Dead is special,and be very cautious about buying all these new moderns for speculative picks.

It took the Walking Dead seven years to make it to tv,and become a hit.

So people who are paying $50 to $400 a pop for the next Walking Dead book might have a long wait. The Walking Dead was the perfect storm that might never been seen in comic books again. 2c

Be VERY careful with this comparison. People did NOT save comic books like they did back then. As stated in many of my other threads; we are a very collector conscious society and culture. Just turn on the History Channel, A&E, Spike, PBS, or Discovery; and I am sure now or within the next few hours another collecting show will air.

There are very few Walking Dead #1's NOT in near mint condition! Comparing a comic book published in 2000+ to one published before 1965 is a very bad comparison.

'mint'

Very true. This is something that is constantly ignored by buyers of all types of collectibles.

I think this is vastly overstated. 50-75% of new comics on the rack at my various shops are dinged to at or below 9.0 within an hour of being put out there. Seriously, I wanted to buy a copy of Earth2 #2 (or whatever it was) and there were 30 copies out ...ALL of them had a crunched lower left hand corner, I finally settled for one that might be 9.2. While it's true, file copies are largely protected, mail order copies, I would venture to guess there are thousands of copes of WD 1 in or below 9.0.

I'd also add, there are people who actually buy comics to read them. Every day at my shop I see people picking up their file and DECLINING the free bag and board the shop gives them! clearly they don't care about mintyness. every day i see guys on the subway reading comics (and damaging them, folding them in half, shoving them into their backpack, etc.). my brother used to buy 20-25 new comics a week and he'd just read them in the bathroom, throw them in the reading material pile and could not care less about condition.

Edited by the blob

WD had 7,000.

Hulk #181 has strong upward support in every grade up to 9.4 as prices have been rising in all grades up to (and including 9.4).

9.6 and 9.8 might be levelling off but that is happening on all books.

I see that which makes me think it could be a quick market boost or the same guy being a d-bag. Just like what happened to NM #98.

All it takes is one insufficiently_thoughtful_person to pay more for a book and every other d-bag dealer up their pricing.

the key issues of the series which are #'s 1-9,19,27, and prison arc issues

The keys are #1,2,6,19,27,48. :gossip:

All the younger people who love the show/comic now are going to grow up and get jobs and eventually, and for nostalgic reasons, want a copy of this book. (thumbs u

Prices might seem outrageous now but wait until all the kids who don't have the money now grow up and decide they have to have one.

Edited by MostAwesomeComics

John, it's not that dealers are upping their prices...people are just paying more for Hulk #181 across the board from every grade 0.5 - 9.4

Has anyone asked why anyone would buy a comic book like Walking Dead #1 in the midst of a massive speculator hype filled 'bubble?' That is the better question.

Not to use the original poster's words against anyone, but the title of this thread is 'When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?' This implies that there is a 'bubble' occurring in this market (and I would of course agree), according to the original poster. However, I do not recall anyone stating that there is NOT a 'bubble.' Therefore, by logical deduction one could surmise that the people coming here stating that the book may perhaps increase in value or even hold its value; are readily aware that there is a speculative 'bubble' in relation to this book, correct? Yet, they still defend it? Just something to consider.

Personally, I would wait a few years after the television show runs its last episode before I bought this book. Then again, I do not buy moderns; nor do I wish to own this book at all; but that is just my opinion.

Respectfully,

'mint'

As an avid TWD collector, I can only comment on first hand experience.

I regularly take 'reader' copies into work - I have possibly said this before - and the reaction is always the same.

Why is an older bloke reading a comic?

What is it?

Oh, was it a comic first?

Can I borrow it?

It was brilliant!

How come Shane is dead?

What! The story is different??

WHERE CAN I GET THESE?

That is always the last question.

Its younger co-workers too - average age 24 up - as well as top line professionals - one anaethetist is collecting an entire CGC run (swine!), and various surgeons etc are happily reading the TPBs.

These in turn get passed onto their families.

Now this is just one hospital department, in one of 30 hospitals, in one of 100 towns, in one Australian state.

Imagine the interest around the world.

Its new,fresh,exciting and relevant. And there are still only 7200 (the exact figure btw) copies of first print #1 ever printed.

I imagine some have been lost forever.

There will always be a very bouyant market for this graphic novel. This is how its going to be $ wise. No bubble, just the simple fact that a hell of a lot of people want a scarce book.

The older age comic collectors should be grateful really as a few, not a lot, but a few are actually buying other titles as well.

It just adds up to more people coming back into comics.

Thats got to be good for all of us right?

:foryou:

I regularly take 'reader' copies into work - I have possibly said this before - and the reaction is always the same.

What is it?

Can I borrow it?

It was brilliant!

How come Shane is dead?

WHERE CAN I GET THESE?

Its younger co-workers too - average age 24 up - as well as top line professionals - one anaethetist is collecting an entire CGC run (swine!), and various surgeons etc are happily reading the TPBs.

Now this is just one hospital department, in one of 30 hospitals, in one of 100 towns, in one Australian state.

Its new,fresh,exciting and relevant. And there are still only 7200 (the exact figure btw) copies of first print #1 ever printed.

There will always be a very bouyant market for this graphic novel. This is how its going to be $ wise. No bubble, just the simple fact that a hell of a lot of people want a scarce book.

The older age comic collectors should be grateful really as a few, not a lot, but a few are actually buying other titles as well.

:gossip:

They are still waiting for the TMNT,Transformers and Deadpool fads to end as well. lol

Has anyone asked why anyone would buy a comic book like Walking Dead #1 in the midst of a massive speculator hype filled 'bubble?' That is the better question.

Why? To flip it of course!

Silly ;)

Actually, I am sure there are people that are convinced that we have not reached the peak yet. So why wouldn't they buy to flip. I imagine you asked the same thing when it was $1000 .....

John, it's not that dealers are upping their prices...people are just paying more for Hulk #181 across the board from every grade 0.5 - 9.4

Or it could be one stupid buyer with an agenda like the one guy did with NM's 98.

I think there are more HG copies of Hulk #181 than Spawn #1. :P

God Wolverine is an over rated tool bag character.

Plus he is Canadian. :sick:

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

Or it could be one stupid buyer with an agenda like the one guy did with NM's 98.

I think there are more HG copies of Hulk #181 than Spawn #1. :P

God Wolverine is an over rated tool bag character.

Plus he is Canadian. :sick:

what is the story with NM 98?

My 2 cents. Walking Dead 1 is an abnormality. It has consistently beat the odds. Every time I thought it had peaked, it has just kept on going. I've stopped betting against it.

The fact is that it is a crazy hot book. It has brought excitement and a fever to the comic community that has been absent for a long time. IMHO, we, as readers/collectors/traders or whatever you want to label yourself as-should be happy that for once we have a book that BRINGS IN NEW READERS.

Has it driven up the price? Sure. I think the biggest point is that if it prolongs the lifespan of our lcs and floppies, then I'm on board and you should be too.

I still think kirkman up with 100 though, a lot of people didn't dig it.

What is it?

Can I borrow it?

It was brilliant!

How come Shane is dead?

WHERE CAN I GET THESE?

Just to add to this... I live in an isolated part of Australia too and I recently asked a young guy at work (22yo) if he'd heard of The Walking Dead. I fully expected him to say "The Walking What?" but his answer opened my eyes big time. He said that it's his favourite show on TV at the moment and he heard about it through a couple of his friends. The all meet once in a while and catch up on a few episodes. After he found out that he could read the comic books digitally online he was hooked and BANG! we have another comic book reader.

He's now reading MANY other titles online and seriously thinking about collecting physical books. TWD is doing more for the hobby than I thought. I never really knew it was having this much impact.

Granted I love the run overall minus some recent art, but the television show has made so many more aware of the fact that it is a based on a comic! Still occasionally have peeps asked if I watch the show and I tell them I was reading it before the show came out and some are surprised to know it was in fact based on a comic!

Just curious, I wonder how many copies of volumes 1 - 5 or so of the TPB have sold. Sure, book stores are getting to be as rare as comic shops, but my local Borders (before it closed) often had a tough time keeping them in stock they sold so well.

You think the TPBs have sold over 100K each? 300K? more?

really not relevant to the initial inquiry, but it goes to show how a book can get so hot as a collectible while still only selling 20-30K copies a month (at least until the last few months). there have to be some people blowing money ona #1 or other key who read the TPBs rather than the floppies.

Silly ;)

Actually, I am sure there are people that are convinced that we have not reached the peak yet. So why wouldn't they buy to flip. I imagine you asked the same thing when it was $1000 .....

Silly. You are missing the point. Someone has to be buying it from the 'flipper.' Therefore, to ask the question again and in another form, is this the perceived 'real estate' of the comic book industry? They just keep buying and selling, because the price will 'NEVER' fall, right?

If that doesn't say speculator hype to anyone here, nothing will.

BTW, to answer a PM, I am only 35, nowhere near 50!

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Silly ;)

Silly. You are missing the point. Someone has to be buying it from the 'flipper.' Therefore, to ask the question again and in another form, is this the perceived 'real estate' of the comic book industry? They just keep buying and selling, because the price will 'NEVER' fall, right?

If that doesn't say speculator hype to anyone here, nothing will.

BTW, to answer a PM, I am only 35, nowhere near 50!

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Just a question - have you read it my friend and if so, did you enjoy it? :foryou: