• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

I was looking at some old Overstreet price guides,and it like took about 20 years for AF #15 and FF # 1 to be worth $1500 in near mint. It is amazing how Walking Dead #1 has broken the $1000 dollar mark in less then 9 years. I think no comic key has ever broken $1000 comic as it`s value in less then a decade like Walking Dead has.

hm

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1?

I was looking at some old Overstreet price guides,and it like took about 20 years for AF #15 and FF # 1 to be worth $1500 in near mint. It is amazing how Walking Dead #1 has broken the $1000 dollar mark in less then 9 years. I think no comic key has ever broken $1000 comic as it`s value in less then a decade like Walking Dead has.

hm

Maybe which goes to show that the Walking Dead is special,and be very cautious about buying all these new moderns for speculative picks.

It took the Walking Dead seven years to make it to tv,and become a hit.

So people who are paying $50 to $400 a pop for the next Walking Dead book might have a long wait. The Walking Dead was the perfect storm that might never been seen in comic books again. 2c

hm

Maybe which goes to show that the Walking Dead is special,and be very cautious about buying all these new moderns for speculative picks.

So people who are paying $50 to $400 a pop for the next Walking Dead book might have a long wait. The Walking Dead was the perfect storm that might never been seen in comic books again. 2c

Or it's in print right now, ten issues deep, with a print run that can't make Diamond minimums and isn't listed in Previews. Until one of the three hundred copies lands in the hands of someone who can get it on Cartoon Network

hm

It also ignores inflation. $1,500 in 1982 is more like $4,000 today.

hm

I had the same thought.

hm

Be VERY careful with this comparison. People did NOT save comic books like they did back then. As stated in many of my other threads; we are a very collector conscious society and culture. Just turn on the History Channel, A&E, Spike, PBS, or Discovery; and I am sure now or within the next few hours another collecting show will air.

There are very few Walking Dead #1's NOT in near mint condition! Comparing a comic book published in 2000+ to one published before 1965 is a very bad comparison.

'mint'

hm

Be VERY careful with this comparison. People did NOT save comic books like they did back then. As stated in many of my other threads; we are a very collector conscious society and culture. Just turn on the History Channel, A&E, Spike, PBS, or Discovery; and I am sure now or within the next few hours another collecting show will air.

There are very few Walking Dead #1's NOT in near mint condition! Comparing a comic book published in 2000+ to one published before 1965 is a very bad comparison.

'mint'

Very true. This is something that is constantly ignored by buyers of all types of collectibles.

hm

but that was after twenty years, not nine years like the Walking Dead.

The question then would be what was AF# 15 worth after 9 years in the Overstreet Priceguide?

I doubt it was $1200.

Walking Dead #1 is this generations Incredible Hulk #181.

It will be at least another generation before something like this ever gets hot in comic books again.

The next generation`s comic book icons will most likely come from digital comics,and most likely will not be superhero icons we keep comparing Walking Dead with.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

hm

'mint'

Very true. This is something that is constantly ignored by buyers of all types of collectibles.

Suppy and Demand factor in here.

The print run for Walking Dead #1 at 7,000 is miniscule compared to DC, and Marvel comics that had print runs in the 300,000 to 600,000 in 1965.

Sometimes age isn`t a factor. I can buy golden age funny animal comics all day on Ebay for less then $5.

I doubt we will ever see a first print Walking Dead #1 sell for $5 dollars on EBay.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

hm

'mint'

The print run for Walking Dead #1 at 7,000 is miniscule compared to DC, and Marvel comics that had print runs in the 300,000 to 600,000 in 1965.

Sometimes age isn`t a factor. I can buy golden age funny animal comics all day on Ebay for less then $5.

I doubt we will ever see a first print Walking Dead #1 sell for $5 dollars on EBay.

but they sold at less than cover for a few months after the book was first released, so we've already seen them sell for less than $5 on e-bay :whistle:

hm

'mint'

but they sold at less than cover for a few months after the book was first released, so we've already seen them sell for less than $5 on e-bay :whistle:

ok, then from this day forward the Walking Dead #1 first prints will never sell for less than $5 on EBay like old golden age funny animal comic books.

:baiting:

hm

but that was after twenty years, not nine years like the Walking Dead.

The question then would be what was AF# 15 worth after 9 years in the Overstreet Priceguide?

I doubt it was $1200.

Walking Dead #1 is this generations Incredible Hulk #181.

It will be at least another generation before something like this ever gets hot in comic books again.

The next generation`s comic book icons will most likely come from digital comics,and most likely will not be superhero icons we keep comparing Walking Dead with.

The real question is what was Action 1 worth nine years after it came out? I think the guide had it at a quarter in 1947.

:idea: That surely means that Walking Dead is this generation's Action 1.

Seriously, what Action 1 or Amazing Fantasy 15 or Hulk 181 or Turtles 1 or Walking Dead 1 were/are worth nine years after publication have no relation to each other. It's a useless comparison. There are so many differing factors that go into why each were worth what they were then, and are worth what they are right now. There is a tremendous demand for Walking Dead right now. It is going for big bucks. But you can't compare the factors that created the demand to any other book that came before it.

hm

'mint'

ok, then from this day forward the Walking Dead #1 first prints will never sell for less than $5 on EBay like old golden age funny animal comic books.

You also have the fact that the television show has caused a massive spike in value. This is short lived phenomenon. I do NOT understand the 'got to have it/buy it now' mentality for an item like this. The price will drop well after the television show ends (within a few years).

By contrast, Spider-Man's value was NEVER based on a television show. It was also NOT a manufactured collectible; forced onto the marketplace. There is NO comparison between these two items.

The best collectibles are those whose value rises steadily over a LONG period of time; not the course of several years.

This is a true speculative bubble. Why buy into it at the peak of the 'hype?'

Its not whether or not the book will ever be in the dollar bin someday in the future, but rather will we start to see 9.8s start to stabilize and see GPA drops to 1400 1200 and back under 1000? The hot potato climb makes it scary to jump in everyday. Just back in Feb I sold 2 copies for 1100. Who knew, not me.

hm

'mint'

You also have the fact that the television show has caused a massive spike in value. This is short lived phenomenon. I do NOT understand the 'got to have it/buy it now' mentality for an item like this. The price will drop well after the television show ends (within a few years).

By contrast, Spider-Man's value was NEVER based on a television show. It was also NOT a manufactured collectible; forced onto the marketplace. There is NO comparison between these two items.

The best collectibles are those whose value rises steadily over a LONG period of time; not the course of several years.

It could be similar to TMNT. Low print run, then TV show got popular and kept it's value since.

hm

'mint'

It could be similar to TMNT. Low print run, then TV show got popular and kept it's value since.

It could, but remember that the Turtles have been in movies and on TV for about 25 years now. Does anybody think that the Walking Dead comic will even last that long? The TV show definitely won't.

hm

'mint'

Walking Dead #1 is not a manufactured collectible. These #100 and #101 variants going for $700 are though. And Spiderman, Batman, Superman, ect all relied heavily on television shows, toys, halloween costumes, video games, and any other form of getting the brand in kids hands to build and maintain the audience they have. This is probably why GA Superman comics are so much more valuable than GA Tracy comics. In the 40's I'd say Tracy was just as beloved by children as Superman, but not quite a pop culture icon. I wonder how many owners of high grade Action #1's are actual comic geeks or just rich guys?

hm

'mint'

"It could be similar to TMNT. Low print run, then TV show got popular and kept it's value since."

So what you are saying is that it is it will lose money either way? If it 'keeps its value' inflation alone would cause the book to be a losing proposition.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

hm

'mint'

Walking Dead #1 is not a manufactured collectible. These #100 and #101 variants going for $700 are though. And Spiderman, Batman, Superman, ect all relied heavily on television shows, toys, halloween costumes, video games, and any other form of getting the brand in kids hands to build and maintain the audience they have. This is probably why GA Superman comics are so much more valuable than GA Tracy comics. In the 40's I'd say Tracy was just as beloved by children as Superman, but not quite a pop culture icon. I wonder how many owners of high grade Action #1's are actual comic geeks or just rich guys?

^^