• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

I was looking at some old Overstreet price guides,and it like took about 20 years for AF #15 and FF # 1 to be worth $1500 in near mint. It is amazing how Walking Dead #1 has broken the $1000 dollar mark in less then 9 years. I think no comic key has ever broken $1000 comic as it`s value in less then a decade like Walking Dead has.

hm

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1?

Maybe which goes to show that the Walking Dead is special,and be very cautious about buying all these new moderns for speculative picks.

It took the Walking Dead seven years to make it to tv,and become a hit.

So people who are paying $50 to $400 a pop for the next Walking Dead book might have a long wait. The Walking Dead was the perfect storm that might never been seen in comic books again. 2c

Be VERY careful with this comparison. People did NOT save comic books like they did back then. As stated in many of my other threads; we are a very collector conscious society and culture. Just turn on the History Channel, A&E, Spike, PBS, or Discovery; and I am sure now or within the next few hours another collecting show will air.

There are very few Walking Dead #1's NOT in near mint condition! Comparing a comic book published in 2000+ to one published before 1965 is a very bad comparison.

'mint'

Very true. This is something that is constantly ignored by buyers of all types of collectibles.

Suppy and Demand factor in here.

The print run for Walking Dead #1 at 7,000 is miniscule compared to DC, and Marvel comics that had print runs in the 300,000 to 600,000 in 1965.

Sometimes age isn`t a factor. I can buy golden age funny animal comics all day on Ebay for less then $5.

I doubt we will ever see a first print Walking Dead #1 sell for $5 dollars on EBay.

but they sold at less than cover for a few months after the book was first released, so we've already seen them sell for less than $5 on e-bay :whistle:

ok, then from this day forward the Walking Dead #1 first prints will never sell for less than $5 on EBay like old golden age funny animal comic books.

:baiting:

You also have the fact that the television show has caused a massive spike in value. This is short lived phenomenon. I do NOT understand the 'got to have it/buy it now' mentality for an item like this. The price will drop well after the television show ends (within a few years).

By contrast, Spider-Man's value was NEVER based on a television show. It was also NOT a manufactured collectible; forced onto the marketplace. There is NO comparison between these two items.

The best collectibles are those whose value rises steadily over a LONG period of time; not the course of several years.

This is a true speculative bubble. Why buy into it at the peak of the 'hype?'

It could be similar to TMNT. Low print run, then TV show got popular and kept it's value since.

"It could be similar to TMNT. Low print run, then TV show got popular and kept it's value since."

So what you are saying is that it is it will lose money either way? If it 'keeps its value' inflation alone would cause the book to be a losing proposition.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

No. I think it will drop significantly after the show ends. I say this as someone who owns a #1. I was being devils advocate re: TMNT 1.

What is the difference between Beanie Babies and The Walking Dead comics?

What is the difference between Twilight Comic books and Walking Dead comic books?

Is there anything hotter right now than Twilight? Harry Potter?

And where the heck are some Big Bang Theory comics. I want me some.

What is the difference between Beanie Babies and The Walking Dead comics?

What is the difference between Twilight Comic books and Walking Dead comic books?

And where the heck are some Big Bang Theory comics. I want me some.

Pretty obvious. Walking Dead was a comic before it became a TV show. None of the others you mentioned are the same.

Like everything? :shrug: Harry Potter has no more movies, no more books coming at all, I'd say it was pretty cold in fact. Twilight? Not really, even my daughter who lived this stuff a couple of years ago could care less now that she's grown up (she's 12).

Like everything? :shrug: Harry Potter has no more movies, no more books coming at all, I'd say it was pretty cold in fact. Twilight? Not really, even my daughter who lived this stuff a couple of years ago could care less now that she's grown up (she's 12).

i'm not sure about Twilight comment; it's going to have a movie released in 10 weeks that's going to do $350mm at the US BO

i'm not sure about Twilight comment; it's going to have a movie released in 10 weeks that's going to do $350mm at the US BO

yeah, the movie will be big, but compared to the release of the first movie, it is nowhere near as "hot" right now.

yeah, the movie will be big, but compared to the release of the first movie, it is nowhere near as "hot" right now.

Thank you, much more eloquently said than my jibberish but this is exactly what I was going for. :thumbsup:

Jim

given that it's the last, i think the studio will prefer BO $ to hotness. this is projected to be the biggest BO of the five (nearly 2x the first one in the US)

Edited by paperheart

Comparing Walking Dead to TMNT #1 is ridiculous. Please, anyone how many TMNT #1's are there in 9.9, and 9.8? And how many Walking Dead in those grades.

Seriously, to argue that is not even worthy of the time I just wasted with the most obvious point to be made. It's still common..

And it is a great read, but about as scarce as a ing McDonalds.

Comparing Walking Dead to TMNT #1 is ridiculous. Please, anyone how many TMNT #1's are there in 9.9, and 9.8? And how many Walking Dead in those grades.

Seriously, to argue that is not even worthy of the time I just wasted with the most obvious point to be made. It's still common..

(worship)

Since the year 2000 there hasn't been a hotter book that Walking Dead #1 and a close 2nd place to Ultimate Spider-man #1 (White Cover variant).

This season of the show will be a good market indicator for the key issues of the series which are #'s 1-9,19,27, and prison arc issues.

If the show gets a movie then those issues will sky rocket to even more laughable prices then they are now.

However, I feel the bubble of #1 and #2 might not pop till after the shows ends.

There is no way anyone can compare this book to TMNT#1 unless you say both books are the kings of their respected time periods. Walking Dead for the time period is more relevant that TMNT is today though. However, TMNT is a million times more rare to find let alone in HG.

WD #1 = not common, but definitely not rare (eBay auctions ending 24/7 w/Raw or CGC)

TMNT#1= rare

I also feel though Walling Dead #1 is very much a modern day classic cover that could very well stand the test of time like other such classic cover of the olden years.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

Your argument is irrelevant.

Most copies of TMNT 1 are midgrade. Therefore most people are happy to own a FN-VF copy.

Most copies of WD 1 are NM. Therefore most people will only be happy to own a NM or better copy.

People adapt to what's available. I doubt many people would want a VF WD 1. Hell most of the guys i know that are into it will only go for a CGC 9.8.

Don't you think there might be a few non-comic collectors, for whom grade is not the driving force, who might be interested in that book?

If they don't collect comics they can buy the first issue of the Walking Dead Weekly... or the TPB's... or even the books.

Based on their present cost I'm pretty sure no non-comic collector would ever buy the key issues of the walking dead...

Since the year 2000 there hasn't been a hotter book that Walking Dead #1 and a close 2nd place to Ultimate Spider-man #1 (White Cover variant).

This season of the show will be a good market indicator for the key issues of the series which are #'s 1-9,19,27, and prison arc issues.

If the show gets a movie then those issues will sky rocket to even more laughable prices then they are now.

However, I feel the bubble of #1 and #2 might not pop till after the shows ends.

There is no way anyone can compare this book to TMNT#1 unless you say both books are the kings of their respected time periods. Walking Dead for the time period is more relevant that TMNT is today though. However, TMNT is a million times more rare to find let alone in HG.

WD #1 = not common, but definitely not rare (eBay auctions ending 24/7 w/Raw or CGC)

TMNT#1= rare

I also feel though Walling Dead #1 is very much a modern day classic cover that could very well stand the test of time like other such classic cover of the olden years.

+1 - will likely be from higher prices than now but will fall far below where they are now

This thread is a lot like all the Hulk #181 threads in the mid 2000's when people were wondering how much higher Hulk #181 was going to go.

Just substitute WD #1 for Hulk #181 and we can relive them all over again.

The McDonalds comment is just silly. I'll pick another random once-hot book from the same time period - Batman 608. That book had a print run of 120,000 copies. There are 17 Batman 608s for every Walking Dead #1 printed.

TMNT #1 is one of the rarest modern/copper mega-keys and it only has Walking Dead #1 beat by a 2:1 margin in print run. WD#1 has a miniscule print run compared to the number of fans of the property. You're only looking at it from a super-high grade perspective - obviously almost every copy is 9.0 or better, but there are only 7,000 copies TOTAL to go around.

Of course there are only half as many TMNT#1s, but that book is also worth a lot more money grade-for-grade.

I'd say things are exactly as they should be.

Your argument is irrelevant.

Most copies of TMNT 1 are midgrade. Therefore most people are happy to own a FN-VF copy.

Most copies of WD 1 are NM. Therefore most people will only be happy to own a NM or better copy.

People adapt to what's available. I doubt many people would want a VF WD 1. Hell most of the guys i know that are into it will only go for a CGC 9.8.

Amazing that the two most valuable comics books published in the last 30 years were black and white comic books?

TMNT #1

Walking Dead #1

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

This thread is a lot like all the Hulk #181 threads in the mid 2000's when people were wondering how much higher Hulk #181 was going to go.

Just substitute WD #1 for Hulk #181 and we can relive them all over again.

The only difference is Walking Dead #1 is much rarer!

I think Hulk #181 had a print run between 200,000 to 300,000,while

WD had 7,000.