• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

I'm hoping to be able to give sound advice in the GA Market soon...simply because I don't follow it...

That's the feel I get here...

Don't sell yourself short. I'm sure you can think of other markets you don't know well enough to start a similar thread. :baiting:

Most people can read their Moderns in under 3 minutes, not sure what you are saying there. It took me ~20 minutes to read a silver book...I can read a bronze in about 15 minutes. Sounds like the trend is in reverse.

It took you 20 minutes to read a SA book because you were 6 then.

:signfunny:

Why are there so many comparisons being made between the walking dead and spawn? Spawn is nicely drawn fluff with 2 dimensional characters and unremarkable stories. The movie sucked, the cartoon sucked and the spinoffs are all hiding in dollar bins.

The walking dead is on the other side of the spectrum. The art is so so but the stories are what keeps fans coming back. The show is a huge success, and unlike spawn has brought a lot of people back into the hobby.

Im not trying to bash spawn I just don't see the parellells. I like todd mcfarlanes art. It looks cool. But spawn is nothing like the walking dead.

Im not saying the walking dead is the number one comic/tv show of all time but it captivates people in a way spawn never has. Theres no real comparison to be made. Unless you are simply trying to contrast the two to show what makes the waking dead a good comic book.

I personally would like to see a better artist take the helm with the walking dead and I agree the stories seem a little repetitive at times but I still find it exciting and I can't wait for #102 to come out to see what happens next.

Just my thoughts.

The quality of writing and illustration have little to nothing to do with speculative value. Just look at NM98. It's a good comic, lots of good comics never catch on with the mainstream or the speculators and entire runs can be purchased for a few bucks. comics catch on with the mainstream and speculators more often than good comics it seems. This comic is both but I don't see that making this any less of an inflated bubble. It's a good comic but the prices people are paying for it seem outrageous, and I'm a fan (shrug)

Why are there so many comparisons being made between the walking dead and spawn? Spawn is nicely drawn fluff with 2 dimensional characters and unremarkable stories. The movie sucked, the cartoon sucked and the spinoffs are all hiding in dollar bins.

The walking dead is on the other side of the spectrum. The art is so so but the stories are what keeps fans coming back. The show is a huge success, and unlike spawn has brought a lot of people back into the hobby.

Im not trying to bash spawn I just don't see the parellells. I like todd mcfarlanes art. It looks cool. But spawn is nothing like the walking dead.

Im not saying the walking dead is the number one comic/tv show of all time but it captivates people in a way spawn never has. Theres no real comparison to be made. Unless you are simply trying to contrast the two to show what makes the waking dead a good comic book.

I personally would like to see a better artist take the helm with the walking dead and I agree the stories seem a little repetitive at times but I still find it exciting and I can't wait for #102 to come out to see what happens next.

Just my thoughts.

+1 It's a horrible comparison. Especially the #1 issue. Didn't spawn have a print run of 1,000,000 copies and TWD around 8,000? Apples and Oranges

Okay.. I guess I have to do this.

Issue #1 of The Walking Dead had a print run of around 7,300 copies, correct?

In America ALONE, 50 states, EACH state can have 143 people that own a copy of issue 1.

Now, take into consideration all the other countries in the world where there could be, potentially, people that want an issue 1 first print for themselves? And hey, not to mention some of those earlier issues!

The print run at issue 19 was somewhere around 17,000 copies.

That means that, considering again just America, only 340 per state could have a copy. Now how many other people are there in Canada, and Spain, and the U.K., and countless other countries that want these early issues?

Now, maybe my math is terrible, but those numbers seem mighty low.

The obscenely low print run of the series alone will keep prices high. Add this to the increasing number of people that are reading the series now, then add the future generations of people that will read it and want the originals in their collections. It may FEEL like we're in the nineties, but the truth is production numbers on books are NOWHERE near the numbers then.

Edited by Phillip

Just my thoughts.

Well Spawn had a fairly original concept and the series tackles some interesting topics. The writing has varied from to good but I wouldn't go as far as call it fluff. Some of the characters are pretty lame, but the writing and story line since issue 185 has been very good (in my opinion).

As far as comparisons go, Spawn did make a splash when it came out because Image was new and MacFarlane was more popular. It's popularity waned over time and I expect the same will happen with Walking Dead.

For the record, I like both titles a lot.

Its gonna be a long time for this bubble to go in the shi%er kirkman is a genius and these books are still going strong .. we'll see this book going for a long time.. original material. Cult/fanboy very strong following. The books are just awesome and i'm gonna enjoy the ride for a long time...

P.S. Revival Rules as well..

Edited by Muaythai607

340 copies per state doesn't seem low to me at all when we are talking about what's become a big ticket item. Actually, it sounds like too many copies to me.

For what has become a "big ticket item" as you say, that number is low.

So you are assuming there are at least 340 people per state who are looking to drop 1K on a comic? A modern comic that is as volatile a market as can be? You do realise we are watching it shoot up, no leveling, no sustained market, just up.

So I say we sit back and watch, because there are alot of speculators and hoarders who will be the ones to bust the bubble. I will guess that I am more aware of the fact there are people holding 5 to 10 copies of the "key" issues, and buying more to keep the market going. So this is a big we will see.

340 copies per state doesn't seem low to me at all when we are talking about what's become a big ticket item. Actually, it sounds like too many copies to me.

So you are assuming there are at least 340 people per state who are looking to drop 1K on a comic? A modern comic that is as volatile a market as can be? You do realise we are watching it shoot up, no leveling, no sustained market, just up.

So I say we sit back and watch, because there are alot of speculators and hoarders who will be the ones to bust the bubble. I will guess that I am more aware of the fact there are people holding 5 to 10 copies of the "key" issues, and buying more to keep the market going. So this is a big we will see.

+1

The key will be not to be the collector stuck sitting on a stack of books that lose over 80% of their value when the bubble pops

+1

The key will be not to be the collector stuck sitting on a stack of books that lose over 80% of their value when the bubble pops

The very reason I've been missing #1-4 in my collection. I can't reason the prices now.

I wasn't saying that all those people want to spend 1k on a book, merely that even when prices level out on the early books, there are still very few copies going around - and this will keep the prices relatively high..

Prices will remain steady as long as interest remains strong! As long as the show is a hit and the story stays good people will stay interested, here lately noticed the art has not been the greatest, especially on covers! IMO

+1

The very reason I've been missing #1-4 in my collection. I can't reason the prices now.

I wasn't saying that all those people want to spend 1k on a book, merely that even when prices level out on the early books, there are still very few copies going around - and this will keep the prices relatively high..

I was looking at some old Overstreet price guides,and it like took about 20 years for AF #15 and FF # 1 to be worth $1500 in near mint. It is amazing how Walking Dead #1 has broken the $1000 dollar mark in less then 9 years. I think no comic key has ever broken $1000 comic as it`s value in less then a decade like Walking Dead has.

hm

+1

I was looking at some old Overstreet price guides,and it like took about 20 years for AF #15 and FF # 1 to be worth $1500 in near mint. It is amazing how Walking Dead #1 has broken the $1000 dollar mark in less then 9 years. I think no comic key has ever broken $1000 comic as it`s value in less then a decade like Walking Dead has.

hm

and in 1963 a gallon of gas was 30 cts, a first class stamp cost 4 cts and a comic book was 12 cts. so for AF 15 to reach $1000 was an 8,000x move, for TWD to hit $1,000 it was 300x.

I set up at FanExpo Saturday and Sunday to promote my new website and set up selling ONLY Walking Dead books. Went with 6 short boxes of slabs and raw, came home with one and a half boxes. My top row I had half a dozen slabbed WD #1's, and you should have seen the oohs and aahs. Teenagers and Twentysomethings falling over themselves wanting to take a picture with them like I had an Action 1, 'Tec 27 AND Marvel 1.

My youngest customer was a 14 year old girl, who stopped by the booth 5 times and begged her Dad to buy her a #1 and she promised to work at his business he owned, free for the rest of her life. I had a mother stop by the booth and snag one of my flyers as she was interested in buying a piece of original artwork for her son, as a Christmas present to hang on his wall. (He was 12 and she said all he talks about, all he lives is Walking Dead).

This has some legs, but I'd prefer if you don't believe me as it would make things a lot easier.

Jim

I set up at FanExpo Saturday and Sunday to promote my new website and set up selling ONLY Walking Dead books. Went with 6 short boxes of slabs and raw, came home with one and a half boxes. My top row I had half a dozen slabbed WD #1's, and you should have seen the oohs and aahs. Teenagers and Twentysomethings falling over themselves wanting to take a picture with them like I had an Action 1, 'Tec 27 AND Marvel 1.

My youngest customer was a 14 year old girl, who stopped by the booth 5 times and begged her Dad to buy her a #1 and she promised to work at his business he owned, free for the rest of her life. I had a mother stop by the booth and snag one of my flyers as she was interested in buying a piece of original artwork for her son, as a Christmas present to hang on his wall. (He was 12 and she said all he talks about, all he lives is Walking Dead).

This has some legs, but I'd prefer if you don't believe me as it would make things a lot easier.

Jim

Great info Jim, and that tween wanting the book so bad it hurts today is the next big spender when they are in their 20s, 30s, and beyond.

Jim

I understand exactly what he is saying here. The last 2 shows I went to in the last year this is all I heard at every booth. "Got any Walking Dead?". I seriously heard that 50 times at least at both shows. Copies were scarce at the time for the key issues except I could find 1-5 at the show in a couple of places.

People were swarming to buy up books to :o wait for it...... actually read the storyline. These weren't normal comic book readers they are fans of the show. A local shop at my last convention(this was a few months ago) told me they re-order entire sets of the trades at least twice a week at the time and cant keep them in stock. They had no issue of WD or WD weekly left in stock. (They did have last 2 issue of WD.) This is the perfect storm. Had I any key issues left of the series I would be selling some time this year. I just dont have any because I have sold every issue I had that I didnt want to keep in the past year. An entire group of people I work with have banned me from coming around to talk to them on Mondays because I might give away the next week's episodes. :devil:

Never seen anything like this and please dont use the Death of Superman comparison. I was there when it happened it was bump for a little while. I had friends asking to get a copy to read. They didnt ask me if I could pick up 30 issues to read. This aint going anywhere for awhile and I doubt we will see anything like it for awhile.

BTW I like Revival too. :cloud9:

Edited by Fastballspecial