• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

Has anyone asked why anyone would buy a comic book like Walking Dead #1 in the midst of a massive speculator hype filled 'bubble?' That is the better question.

Why? To flip it of course!

Silly ;)

Actually, I am sure there are people that are convinced that we have not reached the peak yet. So why wouldn't they buy to flip. I imagine you asked the same thing when it was $1000 .....

Silly. You are missing the point. Someone has to be buying it from the 'flipper.' Therefore, to ask the question again and in another form, is this the perceived 'real estate' of the comic book industry? They just keep buying and selling, because the price will 'NEVER' fall, right?

If that doesn't say speculator hype to anyone here, nothing will.

BTW, to answer a PM, I am only 35, nowhere near 50!

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I like MINT.

When the first NM#98 9.9 came to market, it sold for something like 12,500.

Nearly all of us commented that it was an absurd price and the buyer was a fool. As luck would have it, the buyer came onto the site to defend his purchase.

Shortly after that, 2 more 9.9's showed up on the census and the sale prices plummeted.

It was awesome.

Has anyone asked why anyone would buy a comic book like Walking Dead #1 in the midst of a massive speculator hype filled 'bubble?' That is the better question.

Silly ;)

Actually, I am sure there are people that are convinced that we have not reached the peak yet. So why wouldn't they buy to flip. I imagine you asked the same thing when it was $1000 .....

Silly. You are missing the point. Someone has to be buying it from the 'flipper.' Therefore, to ask the question again and in another form, is this the perceived 'real estate' of the comic book industry? They just keep buying and selling, because the price will 'NEVER' fall, right?

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Just a question - have you read it my friend and if so, did you enjoy it? :foryou:

Just a question and a statement before I answer...would it matter? What is considered to be 'good' is a matter of opinion. There are a lot of items that were critically 'flawed' and critically acclaimed. 'Investment potential' favors neither. My favorite book of all time is 'The Great Gatsby' by F. Scott Fitzgerald (yes, I do collect first edition books as well). This book was HATED by the majority of critics when it first appeared. I had no problem dropping $6,000 on my copy. I love the book. It had a positive influence on me throughout my life and I still read it again and again at least once a year. (Edited to add: I read my much cheaper reprint from Amazon.com; just to clarify).

That being said, any collector who wants to read it could easily buy the trade paperback and avoid the speculator hype altogether (not that the average collector is going to 'pop' open a CGC 9.6/9.8 and start reading it, but you never know).

To answer your question, I am more of a comic book collector; and not much of a reader. I have only seen a few episodes of the television show as well; and I am a huge 'horror' fan.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Edited by mintcollector

Haha and now we are at five and counting. But poor fellow, never want to see anyone lose money. The first WD 1 10.0 now that would be a safe investment...

...until the second WD 1 10.0 shows up...

'mint'

I was joking. Sarcasm translates poorly on the interwebs.

Thats fair enough - if you have read it and do not see why its very popular, then thats your call.

At least you have read it!

Silly ;)

Kind Regards,

'mint'

How can I be missing the point? My answer was pretty clear.

There are people who think they can still profit because they feel the franchise has not peaked yet.

I don't think that today's prices are going to be sustained long term, but to pronounce judgement on other's choices of "investment", is not my cup of tea.

Comparing Walking Dead to TMNT #1 is ridiculous. Please, anyone how many TMNT #1's are there in 9.9, and 9.8? And how many Walking Dead in those grades.

Seriously, to argue that is not even worthy of the time I just wasted with the most obvious point to be made. It's still common..

And it is a great read, but about as scarce as a ing McDonalds.

Your argument is irrelevant.

Most copies of TMNT 1 are midgrade. Therefore most people are happy to own a FN-VF copy.

Most copies of WD 1 are NM. Therefore most people will only be happy to own a NM or better copy.

People adapt to what's available. I doubt many people would want a VF WD 1. Hell most of the guys i know that are into it will only go for a CGC 9.8.

a VF copy of #19 sold on the firum here the other day pretty quickly for either $125 or $175, I forget, so I'm thinking there's a nice market for some of the WDs in VF.

Well, if in fact a WD #98 in CGC 9.9 condition sold for over 12K as someone mentioned earlier then I guess is comes down to the person who wants it the most especially if money is no object to that person then so be it as they might have being doing the seller a favor (which I am certain they did).

For the record I watched a video the other day on Yahoo about a dessert in a fine eating establishment that actually added thin layers of 24K gold to their ice cream which went for 1K each!

Think this is why I love the boards, and granted only recently came back but after reading many posts here love seeing peeps helping others in need out during times of hardship!

Well, if in fact a WD #98 in CGC 9.9 condition sold for over 12K as someone mentioned earlier then I guess is comes down to the person who wants it the most especially if money is no object to that person then so be it as they might have being doing the seller a favor (which I am certain they did).

For the record I watched a video the other day on Yahoo about a dessert in a fine eating establishment that actually added thin layers of 24K gold to their ice cream which went for 1K each!

Think this is why I love the boards, and granted only recently came back but after reading many posts here love seeing peeps helping others in need out during times of hardship!

it wasn't a WD #98 in 9.9 that sold for over 12K, it was a New Mutants (NM) #98 in 9.9 that accomplished that feat. (thumbs u

I remember at $600 people said it was a fad!

They just don`t get it. This is this generations Incredible Hulk #181 and TMNT #1.

They just don`t get it. This is this generations Incredible Hulk #181 and TMNT #1.

Oh there has never been a question that this is the mega modern key for sure of all time. (thumbs u

The question is with so many 9.9,9.8,9.6 copies out there I think ten years from now what is the realistic price for this book long-term after the show ends after season 6.

Usually shows on average if they are good end after 6 seasons.

Except those comics represent the first appearances of characters that have fan followings. Walking Dead is more about the overall story than any character. This is why it doesn't make sense to hoard 1st apps of Michonne or whoever, there will not be Michonne cereal and lunchboxes and cartoons. She could be a thing of the past any month, and unlike Wolverine, she won't be coming back once it happens. I expect the characters to age and die and I do not expect retcons bringing them back to the dead or putting them back in high school.

Rick will never get that arm back, Carl will never get that eye back, and we'll never see Glenn in the comic again.

When characters are disposable like that I don't expect them to have a Superman legacy. I think Walking Dead is more comparable to Cerebus than any super hero comic, and how much are you willing to pay for the first appearance of Lord Julius?

Edited by dupont2005

Except those comics represent the first appearances of characters that have fan followings. Walking Dead is more about the overall story than any character. This is why it doesn't make sense to hoard 1st apps of Michonne or whoever, there will not be Michonne cereal and lunchboxes and cartoons. She could be a thing of the past any month, and unlike Wolverine, she won't be coming back once it happens. I expect the characters to age and die and I do not expect retcons bringing them back to the dead or putting them back in high school. Rick will never get that arm back, Carl will never get that eye back, and we'll never see Glenn in the comic again. When characters are disposable like that I don't expect them to have a Superman legacy. I think Walking Dead is more comparable to Cerebus than any super hero comic, and how much are you willing to pay for the first appearance of Lord Julius?

Spoilers? :(