• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

Seriously, i dont get the WD hate, ESPECIALLY from comic geeks
I hope my :facepalm: didn't come off as hate.

I really enjoy the books and have a modest collection myself. :foryou:

I like Walking Dead, but sometimes the show reminds me of Lost.

So what I am saying is I hope The Walking Dead isn`t just to replace our Lost fix we had. I hope that isn`t the reason why it`s so popular.

What in the heck are you talking about?

Also where does Resident Evil fit in all this?

A lot of the zombie stuff with TWD was done about 7 or 8 years earlier on the PlayStation 1 and 2 with Resident Evil.

Like I said I enjoy Walking Dead, but it seems to have taken some liberties from Lost and Resident Evil to make a hit.

Nothing wrong with that. Just throwing thoughts out to see if anybody else noticed the similarities to Lost and Resident Evil.

Any thoughts?

a) There's no plane crash, island or secret organization behind the WD, which are all central to the story of Lost.

b) There's no animal mutation, military or secret organization behind the WD, which are all central to the story of Resident Evil.

1) Reading and being a fan of the stories is not that same as believing it is the sole reason comics still exist (which is part of the argument being throw about right now)

Who made THAT argument? Show me who made that argument.

2) If you really are such a believer, why own only a lowly 9.6? With such a disproportionate number of the comics in 9.8 (versus other "popular" books), why wouldn't you really put your money where your mouth is?

Because slabs are not what makes something relevant. 9 year old kids walking into my store and seeing a picture of the actor who played Shane and recognizing him as 'Shane from the Walking Dead'... that does. I find that amazing. And yet I see it regularly.

If you're argument is, will 9.8 #1 be worth more in 10 years or after the show ends... the answer can only be... who gives a crud.

If you're argument is, has Walking Dead reached into the cultural consciousness of our society... the answer is yes. You can deny it all you want. But it has.

Not sure if it's 'comic geeks', as much 'modern collectors', but once they lose the ability to make easy money off of something (i.e. $100 comic from some suckers $1 box), the backlash is inevitable. What are they going to do, actually read some of these things?

Not sure if it's 'comic geeks', as much 'modern collectors', but once they lose the ability to make easy money off of something (i.e. $100 comic from some suckers $1 box), the backlash is inevitable. What are they going to do, actually read some of these things?

i'd say that most of the negative nancy's in this thread are not "modern collectors". i'd go as far as to say that most of them are out of touch with what goes on in the world of "non comic book" people.

Not that theres anything wrong with that, but they just dont grasp how big WD is in todays society

i'd say that most of the negative nancy's in this thread are not "modern collectors". i'd go as far as to say that most of them are out of touch with what goes on in the world of "non comic book" people.

Not that theres anything wrong with that, but they just dont grasp how big WD is in todays society

Hmmm...could be, I really haven't followed this thread all that closely. Or at all.

Why the heck would a long time collector who does't involve himself at all with moderns argue about this topic? Weird.

Not saying they're not... just saying it's...kinda weird.

But yeah, Walking Dead is already far bigger than most people realize.

Comic books aside, I am amazed at the people that I find out love the Walking Dead tv show. They go on and on about it so much you would think they are comic book nerds. Nope, they are electricians, doctors, lawyers and teachers. They wouldn't know there is such thing as a WD comic, but they love the series themselves. It is the modern day topic of "water cooler talk".

I love all genres(ages) of comics.I remember telling my wife at my LCS that this book would be huge one day,but I did not get a copy when it came out.It was one of the ones that got away,thank heaven I have a wife that remembered my pain.I don't care about speculation,I'm just glad I own a copy that I've wanted since it came out.

1) Reading and being a fan of the stories is not that same as believing it is the sole reason comics still exist (which is part of the argument being throw about right now)

2) If you really are such a believer, why own only a lowly 9.6? With such a disproportionate number of the comics in 9.8 (versus other "popular" books), why wouldn't you really put your money where your mouth is?

Because slabs are not what makes something relevant. 9 year old kids walking into my store and seeing a picture of the actor who played Shane and recognizing him as 'Shane from the Walking Dead'... that does. I find that amazing. And yet I see it regularly.

If you're argument is, will 9.8 #1 be worth more in 10 years or after the show ends... the answer can only be... who gives a crud.

If you're argument is, has Walking Dead reached into the cultural consciousness of our society... the answer is yes. You can deny it all you want. But it has.

The purpose of the thread is to discuss when (or if) the pricing bubble will bust on TWD 1. If you don't give a "crud" about what a stabbed 9.8 will be worth, why are you posting?

Especially with such aggression and absolution?

The purpose of the thread is to discuss when (or if) the pricing bubble will bust on TWD 1. If you don't give a "crud" about what a stabbed 9.8 will be worth, why are you posting?

"Any predictions on when, or even if, the walking dead bubble will burst?

After s3 if it is no good?

As s3 starts because everyone will bring their comics to market hoping to cash in?

It's crashing now?

I don't know if any of those are true but opinions would be interesting. "

This was the first post of the thread.

So no, it's not just about the price of WD #1, as it seems you'd like it to be. (thumbs u

I love all genres(ages) of comics.I remember telling my wife at my LCS that this book would be huge one day,but I did not get a copy when it came out.It was one of the ones that got away,thank heaven I have a wife that remembered my pain.I don't care about speculation,I'm just glad I own a copy that I've wanted since it came out.
What a great Lady :applause:

"Any predictions on when, or even if, the walking dead bubble will burst?

After s3 if it is no good?

As s3 starts because everyone will bring their comics to market hoping to cash in?

It's crashing now?

I don't know if any of those are true but opinions would be interesting. "

This was the first post of the thread.

So no, it's not just about the price of WD #1, as it seems you'd like it to be. (thumbs u

Don't be ridiculous, it is clearly about the value of WD1. The OP was using the show as a leading question on its impact to the comic value.

There is no bubble to burst without the context of the valuation of issue 1.

When I worked for the cable company during season 1 2 and 3, I would talk to people (customers) who were talking about The Walking Dead TV show...they were always very surprised to hear that it originated in a comic book format (because I'd utilize the opportunity to promote the hobby). I know several people that I talk to about the show now that have never picked up the comic and that I doubt will EVER pick up the comic. So the show watchers aren't necessarily the ones that give a hoot about the comic. I think we can all agree about that.

Now...I've owned numerous copies of TWD 1, I don't currently have one and I'm pretty sure I gave my last one to someone in a mystery box thread...I have Compendiums though, those are what I'm keeping for reading purposes. TPBs are what got me through the first sixty issues and then I started buying single issues at issue 61 and digging in the back issue bin when everything except 1-3 were still $3-$4...Had a pretty healthy raw run but when the TV show hit I sold when random issues were going for like $50 a pop. I decided it was hot now because of the TV show and like rfoii is stating, it'll cool off when the show is gone. At that point I may go back and buy the books again. Those first sixty some odd issues had really great covers and were some of my favorite books to hunt for in the last decade.

Oh and yes I had taken a break from reading comics for about ten years or so and TWD is what got me back in.