• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

Gents, I know it's the internet but isn't it possible to have a conversation without ruffled feathers?

No kidding..... (shrug)

Did you get a black label or white Dave?

Black label,is there a difference?

I think the 'BL' Had 1000 printed or so, not entirely sure.

Gents, I know it's the internet but isn't it possible to have a conversation without ruffled feathers?

No kidding..... (shrug)

lol

No if you have a White, yes if you have a Black. ;)

Fair enough.

But do you really believe that when TWD TV Show is over, TWD #1 will drop in value significantly?

Yes, if nothing else all the speculators will be quick to unload their copies driving available supply way way up.

Without the show, 90% of the interest in owning issue 1 at +$1,500 evaporates. No show, no large scale pop culture, no big value.

I doubt it will ever be worthless, but I don't see the staying power like you do.

No kidding..... (shrug)

I think the 'BL' Had 1000 printed or so, not entirely sure.

Kirkman has claimed it's about a 60/40 split of the ~7000 copies printed.

-slym

I'm sure there are things just as bad in the superhero comics as zombies. Or do all the villians just hit people in the face with pies and then they all go have a lemonade at the end of each day.

Saying some people are uncomfortable with zombies is a far cry from asking "explain why people shouldn't be uncomfortable with it".

Fair point. I just think people in general are more comfortable with Superheroes than Zombies. Maybe I am wrong, it's not 100% black and white to your point.

Fair enough.

But do you really believe that when TWD TV Show is over, TWD #1 will drop in value significantly?

Yes, if nothing else all the speculators will be quick to unload their copies driving available supply way way up.

Without the show, 90% of the interest in owning issue 1 at +$1,500 evaporates. No show, no large scale pop culture, no big value.

I doubt it will ever be worthless, but I don't see the staying power like you do.

Spiderman didn't drop in value when the live action TV show was canceled. lol

I will say right now that I think the show ends, number 1 drops in price significantly.

There's no reason for them to end the show though honestly....at this point they could just keep switching the character focus if they wanted. Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) decides he wants off this gravy train because Love Actually 2 sounds like a better gig. No problem! We'll just turn Norman Reedus into the leader. It could go on and on like Doctor Who.

BUT I'm seeing a CGC 9.8 TWD 1 sitting in Copper/Modern for $1800. It's not significantly lower than the standard $2k most people ask for, but it is ten percent below and I don't see people climbing over each other to buy it.

No kidding..... (shrug)

lol

Well I'm liking what I'm hearing. :whee:

No kidding..... (shrug)

You have a First Print! :applause:

7218823442_7fbc71f835.jpg

-slym

The Walking Dead, just like other acclaimed Modern series such as Y The Last Man, Preacher and 100 Bullets, were made for ADULT audiences.

So regardless of the television show (if there is one), new readers will pick up and read these series every generation (assuming that each new generation still reads comic books).

Once a property becomes engrained in pop culture (such as TWD has), it's a perfect storm. Say hello to WD in pop culture for a long time.

Fair enough.

But doesn't most of the speculation occur BEFORE a TV show or Movie hits. When news is announced, people go crazy buying driving up the price. Then it seems right before a movie/show, the speculators list at high prices and sell. Then people hold tight. With time you start to see them dropping in price. But it seems that mostly it was somewhat B-rated characters that got a boost or books that people had moderate care about that got a huge boost. Nothing compared to the level and fan fare of TWD.

People liked Black Bolt and the Inhumans in the past, sure. But prices went crazy when news was announced of a movie. I'm not sure anyone cared for Ms. Marvel before the news was announced. :D Same with GOTG. But TWD was already a hugely popular book BEFORE the show and will almost assuredly be hugely popular when the show is over.

I think any sort of speculation is gone other than speculation that comes with owning any expensive comic.

And I hope no feathers are getting ruffled. I'm enjoying this debate/discussion. :foryou:

I'm not holding any grudges, but I rarely do. I enjoy the debate a lot, but don't lose sleep over it at the end of the day. I am under the impression that this place is for debate about comics!

:foryou:

No kidding..... (shrug)

lol

Dave, in all seriousness check out this thread for an explanation.

Walking Dead FAQ's with answers

Fair enough.

But doesn't most of the speculation occur BEFORE a TV show or Movie hits. When news is announced, people go crazy buying driving up the price. Then it seems right before a movie/show, the speculators list at high prices and sell. Then people hold tight. With time you start to see them dropping in price. But it seems that mostly it was somewhat B-rated characters that got a boost or books that people had moderate care about that got a huge boost. Nothing compared to the level and fan fare of TWD.

People liked Black Bolt and the Inhumans in the past, sure. But prices went crazy when news was announced of a movie. I'm not sure anyone cared for Ms. Marvel before the news was announced. :D Same with GOTG. But TWD was already a hugely popular book BEFORE the show and will almost assuredly be hugely popular when the show is over.

I think any sort of speculation is gone other than speculation that comes with owning any expensive comic.

So then where do you see the value of the book in 15 years?

The show won't last forever, all shows are eventually cancelled (except maybe the Simpsons). It could have another 5 good years, maybe more. But eventually it will get cancelled. What happens to the book 10 years from then?

No kidding..... (shrug)

lol

Dave, in all seriousness check out this thread for an explanation.

Walking Dead FAQ's with answers

Thanks Harv, I was just looking for that to PM to Oak.

(Thumbs u

Fair enough.

The show won't last forever, all shows are eventually cancelled (except maybe the Simpsons). It could have another 5 good years, maybe more. But eventually it will get cancelled. What happens to the book 10 years from then?

It's going to be fun to find out first hand, isn't it. :grin:

Fair enough.

Maybe it dips slightly. Maybe it doesn't. I do NOT see it being higher than $5,000 for a long, long time (if ever). But I also don't see it dropping below $1,500 on a regular basis. There could be outlier sells where someone dumps one for quick cash, but is anyone paying $2,000 for a copy now and hoping it will be "the next AF15" ? :screwy: But 15 years is a significant length of time and there are additional factors to consider (economy, comic industry as a whole).

So, I guess a definitive guess:

15 years - Low: $1,500 / High: $3,500

Fair enough.

Maybe it dips slightly. Maybe it doesn't. I do NOT see it being higher than $5,000 for a long, long time (if ever). But I also don't see it dropping below $1,500 on a regular basis. There could be outlier sells where someone dumps one for quick cash, but is anyone paying $2,000 for a copy now and hoping it will be "the next AF15" ? :screwy: But 15 years is a significant length of time and there are additional factors to consider (economy, comic industry as a whole).

So, I guess a definitive guess:

15 years - Low: $1,500 / High: $3,500

Two years after the show is over Low: $500 High: $750