• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

If Youngblood #1 has been selling for years for $4 then someone buys one for $9,000 then the next sale is $4 that does not equate to a '$8,996 drop in value.

The last few sales on a 9.9:

Nov-10-2014 $9,000 Cert# 1198190007

Oct-20-2014 $9,225 Cert# 1107956001

Oct-14-2014 $8,850 Cert# 1134938014

Sep-14-2014 $6,100 Cert# 1134938014

Jul-22-2014 $7,200

Jun-22-2014 $8,600 Cert# 1198190007

In that case someone got a great deal or, it may be dropping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Walking-Dead-1-Premier-Comic-Issue-MINT-CGC-9-9-/281520272268?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item418bea738c&nma=true&si=tomuglIGJNqwc0F%252BG9sUwXK8Z5g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Original Listing.

Guy has 0 feedback selling.

Look at all the cancelled removed bids

Not to mention this copy previously sold for 15k a year prior...don't think the seller would eat a 12k loss. Its a free loan till paypal/ebay step in

Edited by iceman399

Looking at eBay, a 9.9 recently sold for only $3,050 and the one before that sold for $8,850.

That represents a drop of 65.53%.

While the show is on air receiving its best ratings / beating Sunday Night Football.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Walking-Dead-1-Premier-Comic-Issue-MINT-CGC-9-9-/281520272268?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item418bea738c&nma=true&si=tomuglIGJNqwc0F%252BG9sUwXK8Z5g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Original Listing.

Not to mention this copy previously sold for 15k a year prior...don't think the seller would eat a 12k loss. Its a free loan till paypal/ebay step in

tumblr_m5nisg8pcy1qd3ve2o2_r1_250.gif

-slym

Looking at eBay, a 9.9 recently sold for only $3,050 and the one before that sold for $8,850.

That represents a drop of 65.53%.

While the show is on air receiving its best ratings / beating Sunday Night Football.

Original Listing.

tumblr_m5nisg8pcy1qd3ve2o2_r1_250.gif
Yeah.

I totally should have dug a little a deeper before typing...

Thank you iceman399 for doing the research.

A point that I feel is valid, is unlike most Modern books, where only #1 is the "key" book, The Walking Dead offers many.

#2 and #3 to me, are a little undervalued considering the amount of key characters in the comic and show that make their debuts in those issues.

I believe the runs of those 2 books were sub 5000.

Add #19, #27 #53, #61 (I do not believe this will hold as a genuine key, but whatever - for the moment it commands a premium) and #92.

Some may argue that #108 and #127 may also become keys in the future.

How many other modern comics can boast an array of key issues, where in those issues previously mentioned, a character plays a huge role in either the TV show, comic or in the case of #19 + #27 - both?

It's not just about #1 - it's about the evolution of the series and the importance of the characters both on-screen and off - and their debut issues as well.

FWIW - I believe TWD #1 will be a $1000 - $1250 book in 9.8 (add inflation per year ) for as long as comics are collected.

I think these are the halcyon days, and a fall will occur, but to suggest that TWD #1 will be a sub $1k book is wishful thinking.

The other keys will fall as they fade from the 'front and centre' of the show and comic (#27) but they will still command a premium, and be very much sought after.

2c

A point that I feel is valid, is unlike most Modern books, where only #1 is the "key" book, The Walking Dead offers many.

#2 and #3 to me, are a little undervalued considering the amount of key characters in the comic and show that make their debuts in those issues.

Add #19, #27 #53, #61 (I do not believe this will hold as a genuine key, but whatever - for the moment it commands a premium) and #92.

How many other modern comics can boast an array of key issues, where in those issues previously mentioned, a character plays a huge role in either the TV show, comic or in the case of #19 + #27 - both?

It's not just about #1 - it's about the evolution of the series and the importance of the characters both on-screen and off - and their debut issues as well.

FWIW - I believe TWD #1 will be a $1000 - $1250 book in 9.8 (add inflation per year ) for as long as comics are collected.

I think these are the halcyon days, and a fall will occur, but to suggest that TWD #1 will be a sub $1k book is wishful thinking.

The other keys will fall as they fade from the 'front and centre' of the show and comic (#27) but they will still command a premium, and be very much sought after.

2c

Absolutely true. And as far as the comparison to TMNT goes, earlier TMNT books are going as low as 4-5 bucks.. Look at TMNT #8, you can find it in dollar bins for heavens sakes

The show ending won't impact the value of the book. Lots of shows end and still retain popularity in reruns, movies, merchandise. Star Trek became more popular after it was cancelled. This book is not dropping in value, ever.

It absolutely will.

Star Trek has really never been cancelled. Always some kind of TV/Movie media in the works at all times. Bad example.

If WD only medium is the comic book the CGC 9.8's will fall by 30-50%.

I buy and sell WD #1's all the time for a quick flip. WD #1 will never be worth more than what is was worth during season 2/3.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

I like Walking Dead, but sometimes the show reminds me of Lost.

So what I am saying is I hope The Walking Dead isn`t just to replace our Lost fix we had. I hope that isn`t the reason why it`s so popular.

Also where does Resident Evil fit in all this?

A lot of the zombie stuff with TWD was done about 7 or 8 years earlier on the PlayStation 1 and 2 with Resident Evil.

Like I said I enjoy Walking Dead, but it seems to have taken some liberties from Lost and Resident Evil to make a hit.

Nothing wrong with that. Just throwing thoughts out to see if anybody else noticed the similarities to Lost and Resident Evil.

Any thoughts?

I don't see the similarities to either property. How does Walking Dead remind you of Lost? Resident Evil?

Walking Dead and Lost = Desperate survivors fighting against all odds to survive.

Walking Dead and Resident Evil = Both started out with zombies as the focus, then developed into something else.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

2c

Good post with good sound evidence. (thumbs u