• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

TMNT affected children in their youth, establishing a brand that they have grown up with and even passed on to the next generation now that they are adults.

Walking Dead looks to be just a one generation run catering to the mature audience. There will still be a market for this book in 20 years, but I'm thinking more alike to how people collect older horror books now.

Have you looked at Walking Dead TV show demographics to support your claim?

Walking Dead beats all shows in the 18-49 age demo every week.

I wouldn't call 18-25 mature audiences. The show caters to the young and older and has ratings that TV execs dream of...

I was looking over the numbers and more people watch The Walking Dead, then The Flash, Gotham and Agents of Shield combined!

That`s one Walking Dead episode getting higher ratings then their 3 episodes combined.

I see what you are saying and The Walking Dead has cross generational appeal that spans many different demographics. However just because someone is a fan does not remotely translate into someone who will be willing to pay thousands to own the first issue in near mint condition. This is an incorrect assumption being made by a lot of speculators. It was this same mentality that gave rise to the Beanie Babie bubble, the speculative Lego craze, and the rise and fall of Atari games.

Collectors are born they are not made. One doesn't simply watch a movie or a TV show and just decide to collect something. Those who do have the instinct and.the drive were born with it long ago and it is generally traced back to childhood.

Does this mean this book will ever be worthless? Absolutely not. I said this before and I will say it again. This book will always be a $1,000+ book in 9.8. It has to be or speculation is much worse than I originally thought and that could not be good. Still, the true test of this book will come after the show ends...years after.

Just understand that what myself and other collectors on this forum see as a collection others see as clutter. The collecting gene will never die off, but it has been suppressed by younger generations to a degree. That being said every generation also has new items to choose to collect. This has caused a lot of once prominent collectibles to fall dramatically in price. The market for a lot of collectibles is no longer cyclical. It never was. Many are linear with a difinitive end. Does anyone really believe that certain markets like cast iron door stops, mechanical banks, metal lunch boxes, and Marx toys will continue to set new sales records? Who is left to sell these items to? Curiosity in an item does not cause auction records to be broken; emotional attachment does. As I write this literally hundreds to thousands of collectible markets are dying a slow death. Where are all these so called fans? Inching closer to six feet under is the answer. As someone wise once said "time is the fire in which we all burn."

Wonder if this will show up on GPA as fake sale or be disregarded. Currently it has been added as a normal sale. I think the Black Label 9.9 was listed somewhere near that price a while back on ebay. Not sure if that one sold offline or through another auction house. That'll skew 9.9 prices for a bit or perhaps bring them out of the woodwork if we don't see this same one come up for sale again in a couple of weeks or so...

Yowzers!

GPA shows 9.9 just sold for $17,000 USD

Where was this? And is it legit - smashes the ceiling on this book to pieces - that's a crazy, crazy price if true......

It didn't sell at $9,500 got re-listed at $17,000 and then "sold"........ hm

That's exactly why I explicitly stated 'if this is legit'.

Book with same cert number has changed hands twice this year. This will be it's 3rd "sale"...........

Anyone recognise the sellers name?

Wonder if this will show up on GPA as fake sale or be disregarded. Currently it has been added as a normal sale. I think the Black Label 9.9 was listed somewhere near that price a while back on ebay. Not sure if that one sold offline or through another auction house. That'll skew 9.9 prices for a bit or perhaps bring them out of the woodwork if we don't see this same one come up for sale again in a couple of weeks or so...

wonder why the 9.9 sale for $3k a couple of weeks back was ignored by GPA- that was just as bogus as this one

TMNT affected children in their youth, establishing a brand that they have grown up with and even passed on to the next generation now that they are adults.

Walking Dead looks to be just a one generation run catering to the mature audience. There will still be a market for this book in 20 years, but I'm thinking more alike to how people collect older horror books now.

Have you looked at Walking Dead TV show demographics to support your claim?

Walking Dead beats all shows in the 18-49 age demo every week.

I wouldn't call 18-25 mature audiences. The show caters to the young and older and has ratings that TV execs dream of...

I would call the 18-25 age demographic a mature audience. Just like how video game companies rate games with a M label for mature. These games are aimed at that age range because that level of violence is determined to be suitable for that age. Big difference between watching cartoon shows after school at age 8 and watching the Walking Dead or playing Grand Theft Auto at age 18.

Its very big among kids. Its not just the 18 and older crowd.

The finale for season 4 was second only behind the Kids Choice Awards on the "Tops on Twitter" Nelson rating and the show hit number 1 last season among the age groups of 9-14. 2nd was Disney Channel’s “Dog with a Blog.

All of my kids (aged 11-14) and their friends watch the show. Its very much a kids thing.

Edited by Rip

Can't believe this was all the way on page 5 and no posts for six days. Does that mean it is time to buy or time to sell?

probably due to all the movie threads :whistle:

wait'll they announce the Walking Dead movie - the message boards will implode

Edited by paperheart