• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

A point that I feel is valid, is unlike most Modern books, where only #1 is the "key" book, The Walking Dead offers many.

#2 and #3 to me, are a little undervalued considering the amount of key characters in the comic and show that make their debuts in those issues.

I believe the runs of those 2 books were sub 5000.

Add #19, #27 #53, #61 (I do not believe this will hold as a genuine key, but whatever - for the moment it commands a premium) and #92.

Some may argue that #108 and #127 may also become keys in the future.

How many other modern comics can boast an array of key issues, where in those issues previously mentioned, a character plays a huge role in either the TV show, comic or in the case of #19 + #27 - both?

It's not just about #1 - it's about the evolution of the series and the importance of the characters both on-screen and off - and their debut issues as well.

FWIW - I believe TWD #1 will be a $1000 - $1250 book in 9.8 (add inflation per year ) for as long as comics are collected.

I think these are the halcyon days, and a fall will occur, but to suggest that TWD #1 will be a sub $1k book is wishful thinking.

The other keys will fall as they fade from the 'front and centre' of the show and comic (#27) but they will still command a premium, and be very much sought after.

2c

Absolutely true. And as far as the comparison to TMNT goes, earlier TMNT books are going as low as 4-5 bucks.. Look at TMNT #8, you can find it in dollar bins for heavens sakes

I would think that TMNT owes much more of its popularity to all the TMNT animated TV shows over the years then the TMNT comic book.

The TV shows put TMNT on the map and have been watched by millions.

I doubt many people have ever read a TMNT comic book adventure compared to how many have read Walking Dead comic book adventures which have dominated the Amazon top 20 Graphic Novels charts these last few years.

Lots of opinions being thrown around so to clarify I'll state what I always said throughout the 200+ pages of this thread. Kindly note that I don't have a crystal ball. This is just based on decades of experience within the antiques and collectibles trade.

The true test of this book will come one to five years after the television series is cancelled. I do not think it will drop immediately after the show is cancelled, but it may very well experience a small to moderate price dip.

This book will always be a $7(0 to $1000 book in 9.8 in my opinion. If it is not we are all in trouble because that would indicate that speculation is much worse than I imagined...and I already picture it being quite bad.

Time will tell...

A very good reasonable point.

A point that I feel is valid, is unlike most Modern books, where only #1 is the "key" book, The Walking Dead offers many.

#2 and #3 to me, are a little undervalued considering the amount of key characters in the comic and show that make their debuts in those issues.

I believe the runs of those 2 books were sub 5000.

Add #19, #27 #53, #61 (I do not believe this will hold as a genuine key, but whatever - for the moment it commands a premium) and #92.

Some may argue that #108 and #127 may also become keys in the future.

How many other modern comics can boast an array of key issues, where in those issues previously mentioned, a character plays a huge role in either the TV show, comic or in the case of #19 + #27 - both?

It's not just about #1 - it's about the evolution of the series and the importance of the characters both on-screen and off - and their debut issues as well.

FWIW - I believe TWD #1 will be a $1000 - $1250 book in 9.8 (add inflation per year ) for as long as comics are collected.

I think these are the halcyon days, and a fall will occur, but to suggest that TWD #1 will be a sub $1k book is wishful thinking.

The other keys will fall as they fade from the 'front and centre' of the show and comic (#27) but they will still command a premium, and be very much sought after.

2c

10 is another big issue where they get to Hershel's farm where we meet Hershel, Maggie, Beth, and others.

The show ending won't impact the value of the book. Lots of shows end and still retain popularity in reruns, movies, merchandise. Star Trek became more popular after it was cancelled. This book is not dropping in value, ever.

It absolutely will.

Star Trek has really never been cancelled. Always some kind of TV/Movie media in the works at all times. Bad example.

If WD only medium is the comic book the CGC 9.8's will fall by 30-50%.

I buy and sell WD #1's all the time for a quick flip. WD #1 will never be worth more than what is was worth during season 2/3.

what makes you sure WD wont have 'Always some kind of TV/Movie media in the works at all times'?

ps this is innacurate-star trek was cancelled in 1967 and no movie was made until 1979.

Everyone I know is still very excited about the show and it is still getting new viewers. The downer view points in this thread are humorous.

And these points mean very little in regards to its performance on the secondary collectibles market.

Collectors are born, they are not made. A fan is not the same thing as a collector and there are different types of collectors.

TMNT affected children in their youth, establishing a brand that they have grown up with and even passed on to the next generation now that they are adults.

Walking Dead looks to be just a one generation run catering to the mature audience. There will still be a market for this book in 20 years, but I'm thinking more alike to how people collect older horror books now.

Vampires, Zombies, have been around forever, and everyone seems to be loving the end of the world stuff out there, ...

This book started the comics in zombies With its TV series, will be very interesting to see where it's at years from now.

TMNT affected children in their youth, establishing a brand that they have grown up with and even passed on to the next generation now that they are adults.

Walking Dead looks to be just a one generation run catering to the mature audience. There will still be a market for this book in 20 years, but I'm thinking more alike to how people collect older horror books now.

Have you looked at Walking Dead TV show demographics to support your claim?

Walking Dead beats all shows in the 18-49 age demo every week.

I wouldn't call 18-25 mature audiences. The show caters to the young and older and has ratings that TV execs dream of...

I wouldn't call 18-25 mature audiences. The show caters to the young and older and has ratings that TV execs dream of...

I was looking over the numbers and more people watch The Walking Dead, then The Flash, Gotham and Agents of Shield combined!

That`s one Walking Dead episode getting higher ratings then their 3 episodes combined.

I would call the 18-25 age demographic a mature audience. Just like how video game companies rate games with a M label for mature. These games are aimed at that age range because that level of violence is determined to be suitable for that age. Big difference between watching cartoon shows after school at age 8 and watching the Walking Dead or playing Grand Theft Auto at age 18.

I would call the 18-25 age demographic a mature audience. Just like how video game companies rate games with a M label for mature. These games are aimed at that age range because that level of violence is determined to be suitable for that age. Big difference between watching cartoon shows after school at age 8 and watching the Walking Dead or playing Grand Theft Auto at age 18.

I know that on a Monday all the kids at my childrens school all they talk about is what happened on WD last night. My girls are 12 and 14 know but it has been like that for a couple years now.

I don't think they keep track of viewership under 18 because sponsors don't see them as being able to really be a consumer, but I'd hazard a guess that the 12-18 viewership is ridiculously high.

Jim

I don't think they keep track of viewership under 18 because sponsors don't see them as being able to really be a consumer

You should watch some children's networks. I think it would make you change your mind on this.

Edited by wombat

I don't think they keep track of viewership under 18 because sponsors don't see them as being able to really be a consumer

You should watch some children's networks. I think it would make you change your mind on this.

happy meals - big reason McDonalds stayed #1 for many years

Yowzers!

GPA shows 9.9 just sold for $17,000 USD

Where was this? And is it legit - smashes the ceiling on this book to pieces - that's a crazy, crazy price if true......

Yowzers!

GPA shows 9.9 just sold for $17,000 USD

Where was this? And is it legit - smashes the ceiling on this book to pieces - that's a crazy, crazy price if true......

Ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Walking-Dead-1-Premier-Comic-Issue-MINT-CGC-9-9-/111540370909?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19f852fddd

-J.