• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Death of the Family" storyline (Batman)

371 posts in this topic

Scott Snyder has no balls.

Oh come on. You know he can't do you know what...

and why couldn't he?

because once you have an iconic character like Batman and the bulk of you profit is generated by that property editors but the kybosh on any true change. It's really sad though because I wanted to put that issue down and take a deep, satisfying breath but i couldn't. I guess you can't really blame Snyder if an editor stepped in and changed his story but one would have to ask Mr. Snyder to find out that information. Once a property gets to this status truly revolutionary storytelling is impossible.

Scott Snyder has no balls.

Oh come on. You know he can't do you know what...

and why couldn't he?

because once you have an iconic character like Batman and the bulk of you profit is generated by that property editors but the kybosh on any true change. It's really sad though because I wanted to put that issue down and take a deep, satisfying breath but i couldn't. I guess you can't really blame Snyder if an editor stepped in and changed his story but one would have to ask Mr. Snyder to find out that information. Once a property gets to this status truly revolutionary storytelling is impossible.

Could've had Red Hood shoot him.

Very anti-climatic. Its been building to a "payoff" that just isn't there for me.

Had it been any other story title I'd have loved this; there is some excellent insight into the Joker's motivations here...but it feels like it was planned to go one way from the start and then as the end neared someone hit the brakes.

Look forward to more detailed discussion as others get a chance to read this.

I liked it, but not because of the story arc per se. I liked it because it makes me want to see how things end up panning out, and the ramifications of what the Joker did to each character and how it affects them. I dislike it when a book has a series of 'arcs' with nothing but filler in-between, and this seemed like a great way to lead each of the individual Bat-family books into a direction that I'm interested in seeing play out.

So is the ending bad then?

I am waiting for the trade to read "Death in the family."

It's bad based on what was "promised" as a shocking and historic ending.

It was a well written arc, it just didn't deliver based on the buildup.

So is the ending bad then?

I am waiting for the trade to read "Death in the family."

It's bad based on what was "promised" as a shocking and historic ending.

It was a well written arc, it just didn't deliver based on the buildup.

The "Death of the Family" storyline is over, but after looking at upcoming covers for the bat characters I think this Joker stuff will be in each of the lesser bat titles for a few months.

I know most of us were expecting something major to happen, but I thought this ending had a subtle yet deep, powerful meaning to it. Theoretically it can have even more long lasting ramifications than had something "major" happened, but I'm not holding my breath with other would-be writers coming along to put their spin on it later.