• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Death of the Family" storyline (Batman)

371 posts in this topic

Just finished Batman #14. Spoiler-free comments except as noted...

Another terrific ish, nothing groundbreaking perhaps but highly enjoyable. It takes some sharp writing to make a Batman-Joker matchup seem fresh, and not like a dimmer echo of past stories... well, sharp writing is what we've got here. Lots of crackling dialogue throughout, and the suspense continues to build.

My one question is

when Joker tells Bats "Look!" and we're shown a large panel of the "young and uppity condo people" he has apparently poisoned, standing in a circle or a spotlight of some sort. What exactly are we looking at? And all of the people are standing, so how is it they are dead...? A nitpick perhaps, but this seemed to be presented as a dramatic moment and I couldn't figure it out at all.

With that said, wow, a great read. The backup story is a lot of fun too. These backup stories generally bug me (since they're never as good as the main stories, it kind of feels like having an appetizer after your entree...) but this one definitely holds its own, and advances the plot more than any of the previous ones.

Another terrific ish, nothing groundbreaking perhaps but highly enjoyable. It takes some sharp writing to make a Batman-Joker matchup seem fresh, and not like a dimmer echo of past stories... well, sharp writing is what we've got here. Lots of crackling dialogue throughout, and the suspense continues to build.

My one question is

when Joker tells Bats "Look!" and we're shown a large panel of the "young and uppity condo people" he has apparently poisoned, standing in a circle or a spotlight of some sort. What exactly are we looking at? And all of the people are standing, so how is it they are dead...? A nitpick perhaps, but this seemed to be presented as a dramatic moment and I couldn't figure it out at all.

With that said, wow, a great read. The backup story is a lot of fun too. These backup stories generally bug me (since they're never as good as the main stories, it kind of feels like having an appetizer after your entree...) but this one definitely holds its own, and advances the plot more than any of the previous ones.

I was wondering that as well.. It seemed to me that they were all dead, tied down and floating underwater with a spot light on them

Loved the issue, but that part was a little unclear to me too

My one question is

I only gave it a quick read... to me it looked like people anchored under the water.

Oh and poor Alfred :( that Joker is a nasty nasty man!!!!

I was wondering that as well.. It seemed to me that they were all dead, tied down and floating underwater with a spot light on them

I only gave it a quick read... to me it looked like people anchored under the water.

I think you guys are right on... artwork could be a touch clearer but I see it now. Thanks for the replies. (thumbs u

My one question is

So did he blind him forever?

Also, Batgirl and Suicide Squad were great reads. Love the new Joker!

My one question is

So did he blind him forever?

Also, Batgirl and Suicide Squad were great reads. Love the new Joker!

I really enjoyed the art in Suicide Squad.

Yes, Ammonia to the eyes can cause burning and blindness. If the Joker did in fact do it. Remember we haven't seen Alfred just yet. Does Snyder have the balls to maim Alfred?

These covers are starting look very nice together...

th_Batman13.jpg th_Catwoman13-1.jpg th_Batgirl13-1.jpg th_SuicideSquad14.jpg

They really do. (thumbs u And frankly, it's got me quite cheerfully buying books I wouldn't normally buy. (Plus, how cool is it that the masks make thematic sense with the plot?) I actually can't think of a gimmick cover series I've liked better.

I wasn't overly keen on the Batman #13 cover when I first got it, I thought it looked cheap and the essence of gimmicky, but now they're all starting to come together I can really appreciate it. Skimmed through Suicide Squad #14 yesterday and it looks OK, I can never really bring myself to invest enough interest in Batman periphery titles except maybe for Nightwing. I'll probably read these as one big story after the main Batman run to fill in the gaps.