• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead FAQ's with answers

198 posts in this topic

I got one and truthfully my books issue is the same as what you have. Everything to good; sharp corners, no dings or creases. The issue is on the top area of the spine...looks like slight tearing. Sounds like most, if not all, could be effected by this.

When you point out that the Agents #6 and Capes #1 was not first because it shipped from Diamond at the same time as WD#1, I think that you are missing the important point. They were published first, they are the first appearance of Rick Grimes. The dates on the cover say SEPT, but the date of WD #1 says OCT. I am not sure that it is important what a third party distributor ( in this case maybe THE distributor ) did, or if image held the issues. If the queen has twins and one came out first. IT was first and will become king...... I know people have a lot vested in WD #1, but the facts remain the facts....

When you point out that the Agents #6 and Capes #1 was not first because it shipped from Diamond at the same time as WD#1, I think that you are missing the important point. They were published first, they are the first appearance of Rick Grimes. The dates on the cover say SEPT, but the date of WD #1 says OCT. I am not sure that it is important what a third party distributor ( in this case maybe THE distributor ) did, or if image held the issues. If the queen has twins and one came out first. IT was first and will become king...... I know people have a lot vested in WD #1, but the facts remain the facts....

lol all stocked up are you? See Hulk 180 for why you are dead wrong.

yup, I have bought a few....

Sure hulk cameo isn't as good as the first full appearance. But look at the price disparity between these image books and the walking dead #1.

Also Capes and Agents have very little print runs, they are rarer then Joe Bidden speaking engagements

yup, I have bought a few....

Sure hulk cameo isn't as good as the first full appearance. But look at the price disparity between these image books and the walking dead #1.

Also Capes and Agents have very little print runs, they are rarer then Joe Bidden speaking engagements

If your point is that they have room to increase in value, that is a reasonable position. But they will never be "king" and never worth half what WD is worth.

I think a better analogy to the baby reference would be Capes #1 and Agents #6 had earlier "due dates" than WD #1, but they all popped out of their momma's V-JJ at the same time on October 8th, 2003. ;)

But in all seriousness, the dates on the inside of the issues are not when they were actually printed. It's when they were suppose to be printed. It's part of the template they send to the printers. The books were late due to the creators getting the books done, not held by Diamond or Image for mysterious reasons. They were all probably printed at the same time. 2c

would you print the one dated earlier, welllll uhm 1st....?

No, if I was the printer I would print the one given to me 1st.

It's possible WD #1 was printed "in real life" before the other books. Just because the creator had a different month on their template doesn't mean it was printed 1st. Your argument has holes, and I don't think you're understanding my points.

would you print the one dated earlier, welllll uhm 1st....?

Here is another example to illustrate my point:

You obviously count "previews" as 1st appearances so let's stick with that.

What is the 1st appearance of Robert Kirkman's Invinicible?

A.) Savage Dragon #102? Date inside comic is August 2002, but in reality it didn't arrive in stores until December 4th 2002. Savage Dragon 102 release date

B.) Tech Jacket #1? Date inside comic is November 2002, and the book was on time arriving in stores on November 20th 2002. Tech Jacket #1 release date

My pick is Tech Jacket #1. It was in stores and in people's hands first. It was the 1st time readers could read the Invincible preview. That's what matters.

To your point. Does the date inside the Savage Dragon comic mean it was printed 4 months earlier and sat in a warehouse somewhere? Maybe Erik Larsen said, "wait don't sell it yet. I don't need the cash yet, so lets wait 4 months." No, of course not. Larsen was simply late getting the book out to the printers.

In fact the Invincible preview proves this to be true. The preview was probably added at the last minute in November while they printed it. Since they included it that month in Savage Dragon, Tech Jacket, and Masters of the Universe. If the preview had been ready for print back in August it would have been in other books back in August too. Savage Dragon couldn't have been printed 4 months earlier. In fact, Tech Jacket had to have been printed before Savage Dragon since it was in stores weeks before.

And the fact that SD was "suppose" to have come out 4 months earlier than it did doesn't give it a pass and make it the 1st appearance of the character. 2c

okay, I see your points, but 20 years from now, 30....won't we have to go with the date in the cover? I am not sure you are right about tech jacket...As all the books where in the store at the same time, and all other things being equal, the one with the earlier date on the inside would have to be given more weight? I would think that a preview would be at least planned 1st, as it is meant to entice...like movie previews...pre...

How do books do it? copyright date?

Do you think this book will ever be popular enough for a #1 to sell for say, $200?

Or would that create a bubble?

I don't think this title will ever command $200 for a number one, but just for the sake of the argument I will buy your #1 for $199.

Don't misquote my facetiousness to score points young fella!

That was only 4 months ago in response to someone else.

:hi:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=2524

This article says that capes was at least planned to be first....so unless there was an error or mistake that brought the walking dead out at the same time as it's preview....

Yeah, that's exactly what must have happened since the book was late. lol

Maybe the artist took longer? Who knows? It's pure speculation, but it did arrive in stores the same day as WD #1.

okay, I see your points, but 20 years from now, 30....won't we have to go with the date in the cover? I am not sure you are right about tech jacket...As all the books where in the store at the same time, and all other things being equal, the one with the earlier date on the inside would have to be given more weight? I would think that a preview would be at least planned 1st, as it is meant to entice...like movie previews...pre...

How do books do it? copyright date?

No, but I would agree if you said 20 or 30 years ago in the PAST, before the internet. Before the information age, when we could find this type of info. As long as the internet still exists 20 or 30 years from now people will be able to find the information. Whether it's Diamond's archive, CBR, or threads like this one.

I think the best argument for you would be the people who don't use the internet. Will those people see the inside of the comic and stop there? Sure, that is your best argument for people believing the inside of the comic. People who don't know how to use the internet.

I think it's more likely that people go through stages of discovery. They learn about the preview by searching eBay and then believe they have found something. Then as time goes by they learn the truth about the release dates and it's tough to accept. But as you said before, facts are facts.

As for Invincible. Yes, it's Tech Jacket #1. Here are links to Diamonds archive with the exact dates the comics were released:

Tech Jacket #1: November 20th, 2002

Savage Dragon #102: December 4th, 2002

Family Secrets Noble Causes #3: December 4th, 2002 (1st cameo appearance of Invincible non-preview)

Masters of the Universe #1: December 11th, 2002

Invincible #1: January 22nd, 2003 (1st Full appearance of Invincible non-preview)

Those are ship dates? from diamond....I mean diamond is a third party. When it gets to the comic book stores seems irrelevant to me...

I thought the release date, is the date that Image releases the book...in the article above the release date was one month earlier then WD #1. To my way of thinking, there is more evidence that capes/agents was first, then there is that WD#1 was first. They are first, or tied...I suppose the only real way to know, is to ask image....which I just did...

thanks for the tech jacket info :0)

So does a preview constitute a first appearance?

you know I don't know the answer to that; does an advertisement constitute a first appearance? What if it didn't get named 'preview', and was likened to a back-up story...is it the length? How about if you can't really tell who the character is, shadows like DD#21....