• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PM sent

53 posts in this topic

I always wondered why people post "PM sent" in threads? This is usually but not limited to sales threads.

Sigh.

In the sales threads, I'm guessing it's to discourage potential buyers on the fence who might not outright buy the book with an I'll Take It by making it look like you've made a play for it, thereby securing your position in the deal.

It's a little like saying "Yeah, I sent a PM. Whatcha gonna do about it? Huh? Huh?"

I've done it several times for that reason. I was also reeeeeeeally tempted to post an I'll Take It this week to c0ckblock someone who had posted "PM sent" and buy the books then and there.

But, I wimped out.

Not bad, noob.

I'd like to cite Fingh as my mentor.

I always wondered why people post "PM sent" in threads? This is usually but not limited to sales threads.

Sigh.

In the sales threads, I'm guessing it's to discourage potential buyers on the fence who might not outright buy the book with an I'll Take It by making it look like you've made a play for it, thereby securing your position in the deal.

It's a little like saying "Yeah, I sent a PM. Whatcha gonna do about it? Huh? Huh?"

I've done it several times for that reason. I was also reeeeeeeally tempted to post an I'll Take It this week to c0ckblock someone who had posted "PM sent" and buy the books then and there.

But, I wimped out.

Not bad, noob.

I'd like to cite Fingh as my mentor.

You could do worse.....you could do better...but you could do worse.

Why you would leave a message with 'PM sent':

By doing this you have established to the rest of the boards that you have made a play for the book.

Why I wold never make an offer and post a 'PM sent' for a book:

Why wold you wants to increase your own competition. By putting that information out there it you may be alerting someone who is on the fine about the book that they may be losing the opportunity to grab the book very soon. Your posting of a 'PM sent' might compel me to simply throw up a :takeit: sign in an effort to trump any deal that might be negotiated through private message.

Sigh.

Often time it's a buddies sales thread they are buying out of (or trying to buy with an offer) so they are bumping their pal's thread too.

By doing this you have established to the rest of the boards that you have made a play for the book.

Why wold you wants to increase your own competition. By putting that information out there it you may be alerting someone who is on the fine about the book that they may be losing the opportunity to grab the book very soon. Your posting of a 'PM sent' might compel me to simply throw up a :takeit: sign in an effort to trump any deal that might be negotiated through private message.

FT had a sales thread for a 9.8 IMSM #1 a while back. He had very little past sales info to be able to set a fair asking price on his book. As I know the history behind every one of the 8 9.8 copies, I PM him all I had.

To that effect, I put down a "PM sent" in his sales thread as he most likely receives dozens of PMs / day

Sigh.

Yeah I don't like everyone oogling that awesome comic to know I'm about to make an offer. Could be the final straw for someone wondering if the price is right or not to just post :takeit: and beat me out of it while I sat around trying to get $5 off lol

FT had a sales thread for a 9.8 IMSM #1 a while back. He had very little past sales info to be able to set a fair asking price on his book. As I know the history behind every one of the 8 9.8 copies, I PM him all I had.

To that effect, I put down a "PM sent" in his sales thread as he most likely receives dozens of PMs / day

That's a very good point... I was going by something that I actually did.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5870513#Post5870513

I saw this book posted. When I saw that someone PM'd him about this book, I shrugged and threw down the :takeit: It was the PM announcement that encouraged me to pull the trigger.

Sigh.

But, I wimped out.

I've done that several times.

In fact, if I'm on the fence about a book and someone posts that, I will immediately buy it.

So.....'PM Sent' all you want. Please.

Sigh.

I am actually going to take your question seriously and provide a serious comparison. The best way to look at someone posting a "PM sent", especially in a sales thread is to consider the male dog that marks his territory. It is basically the same thing. (thumbs u

:jokealert: (well sort of)

Sigh.

I am actually going to take your question seriously and provide a serious comparison. The best way to look at someone posting a "PM sent", especially in a sales thread is to consider the male dog that marks his territory. It is basically the same thing. (thumbs u

:jokealert: (well sort of)

Do people really feel that way? I've left a few of them myself, and it's certainly never been as a challenge to others, or to mark my territory. I'm not sure why I do it, except that I think sales threads are interesting, and I like to see what kind of action is going on and to contribute my own. :shrug: