• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,034 posts in this topic

On 11/10/2021 at 1:45 AM, Tnexus said:

As someone who has been a recipient of the warp speed grading, I was wondering if it depends on what you submit. I had 21 of the same comic. I wonder if multiples of the same issues may give you a bump in priority? Maybe because it's easier for to catalogue and easier for newer graders to grade?

That theory doesn't work for me.  My books are all over the map.  Maybe one or 2 dupes but mostly drek from all eras. 

On 11/10/2021 at 1:45 AM, Tnexus said:

As someone who has been a recipient of the warp speed grading, I was wondering if it depends on what you submit. I had 21 of the same comic. I wonder if multiples of the same issues may give you a bump in priority? Maybe because it's easier for to catalogue and easier for newer graders to grade?

My warp speed were all different and spread across mostly Bronze/Copper Age stuff. Grades seemed a bit higher than expectation on a few, but within my own prescreen guesstimate margin of error. One issue ended up being my first "hey, this so nice we charging you more!" notification. 

On 11/10/2021 at 8:47 AM, Jaywalker0 said:

My warp speed were all different and spread across mostly Bronze/Copper Age stuff. Grades seemed a bit higher than expectation on a few, but within my own prescreen guesstimate margin of error. One issue ended up being my first "hey, this so nice we charging you more!" notification. 

Sounds like a lot of people are starting to get these upcharge emails which makes me nervous... I know I'm going to get one for sure, but there are a few others I graded out at 9.6... if they hit 9.8 and cgc is being so strict I could be looking at quite a few extra charges 😬

When we say Modern, we’re saying Modern tier which goes back to 1975. Most of the fast response slabbing jobs seem to be un-pressed Moderns, with a minimum of handling at CGC. This would be the “easiest” tier for new  graders to theoretically handle and would also be the least expensive tier in terms of valuation usually. 

Express implies books over $1000 or books you really need back right away which would probably usually be allocated to an experienced grading group. That’s why I wouldn’t expect the beta test to include any other tier than Modern.

It has the highest submission rate, cheapest valuations, and easiest to grade books. (Many submissions will end up being 25 copies of the same book if they are new releases… or in my case, 25 copies of warehouse books at a time.)

This model would theoretically increase speed/efficiency for the most popular tier matched with new graders that may not have as much experience. (Since the grading is done as a group, there is still probably an experienced senior grader as the final grader.)

Just some musings…

Edited by sckao

On 11/10/2021 at 10:00 AM, zupaphly said:

Sounds like a lot of people are starting to get these upcharge emails which makes me nervous... I know I'm going to get one for sure, but there are a few others I graded out at 9.6... if they hit 9.8 and cgc is being so strict I could be looking at quite a few extra charges 😬

I see what you mean, but this was a 9.8 book that's valued around 3k? So that was justified. I didnt think it had a chance hitting that, why I submitted modern.   

On flip side, I sent in another Modern tier book that got a 9.8 valued at ~1.1k, but I wasn't upcharged. 

So the first scenario makes sense and I think they still have some wiggle room baked into tiers. 

On 11/10/2021 at 10:50 AM, Jaywalker0 said:

I see what you mean, but this was a 9.8 book that's valued around 3k? So that was justified. I didnt think it had a chance hitting that, why I submitted modern.   

On flip side, I sent in another Modern tier book that got a 9.8 valued at ~1.1k, but I wasn't upcharged. 

So the first scenario makes sense and I think they still have some wiggle room baked into tiers. 

I've always thought it was based on the raw estimated value, not the value after grading. I have had many raw 150 dollar books that come back 9.8 and then have a value of 800 or something.  But if you try to slip a raw VF ASM 300 in there, they might call you out.  

On 11/10/2021 at 9:11 AM, cd4ever said:

I've always thought it was based on the raw estimated value, not the value after grading. I have had many raw 150 dollar books that come back 9.8 and then have a value of 800 or something.  But if you try to slip a raw VF ASM 300 in there, they might call you out.  

Did I not remind you to F off?

xoxo

greggy

On 11/10/2021 at 11:11 AM, cd4ever said:

Oh for sure. I've had A LOT of books submitted at Modern that get grades putting well above the $400, but =<1k. CGC really doesnt nickel & dime surprisingly.

They really only upcharge in extreme cases where that book is way waaay out of proportion to tier.

On 11/10/2021 at 9:33 AM, Jaywalker0 said:

Oh for sure. I've had A LOT of books submitted at Modern that get grades putting well above the $400, but =<1k. CGC really doesnt nickel & dime surprisingly.

They really only upcharge in extreme cases where that book is way waaay out of proportion to tier.

After decades of experience with them, CGC will upgrade you in tiers once every 5-6 years and it's usually all over the place.  They may upgrade a book with a FMV of $600 but not upgrade a book that is 4 figures even when it's in the same sub.  No rhyme or reason to it. 

And after 7 1/2 weeks in grading my books are finally shipping.  40/44 9.8s

44 Modern Prescreen

• Delivered 5/6/21
  • SFG 6/30/21
  • G/E/I  9/20/21
  • QC  11/8/21
  • Shipped  11/10/21

6 Modern

• Delivered 5/28/21
  • SFG  8/2/21

10 Modern

• Delivered  6/14/21
  • SFG  8/13/21

12 Modern

• Delivered  7/14/21
  • SFG  9/2/21

25 Modern Prescreen

• Delivered  7/14/21
  • SFG  9/2/21

25 Modern Prescreen

• Delivered  8/25/21
  • SFG  9/30/21

On 11/10/2021 at 10:11 AM, cd4ever said:

Yeah... thats the exact book I'm waiting for an upcharge on lol... I didn't realize how much it exploded when I submitted it beginning of the year... I didn't even bother looking at fmv... it was a 9.6 that I cracked open for the McFarlane sig event a couple years ago, but i couldn't get it in before the deadline... last I knew it was a $400-500 book... whoopsie 🤷‍♂️

I had my 3 book submission under "Express" graded and encapsulated 3 days after they received it, which was annoying because I planned my vacation around the 17 day turnaround. But post office kept it safe in thier safe for ten days. Meanwhile, still waiting on several signatures which are about to reach the expected turnaround time by the end of the week.

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 11/10/2021 at 11:37 AM, greggy said:

After decades of experience with them, CGC will upgrade you in tiers once every 5-6 years and it's usually all over the place.  They may upgrade a book with a FMV of $600 but not upgrade a book that is 4 figures even when it's in the same sub.  No rhyme or reason to it. 

Yes; the pick-and-choose just happened to me, though they did upgrade the highest-value book in the sub.

On 11/10/2021 at 9:30 PM, wombat said:

So what is the correlation (if any) to when you get charged to when you get graded? Just got charged. 

None, I got charged awhile ago and books are still SFG - I sent them an email asking about the charge and they said "Comic books are charged any time after they are received and before they ship back to you.  We do not align billing with productions status".

On 11/10/2021 at 9:30 PM, wombat said:

So what is the correlation (if any) to when you get charged to when you get graded? Just got charged. 

It seems over the last year or so they have waited until I have a few submissions in and then reconcile all outstanding invoices at once. So, in some cases I will have received books months before I'm charged for the grading. 

On 11/10/2021 at 10:46 PM, Brad Ross Cohen said:

No way do I want to complain about 2 day turnaround on a 25 FT Modern Pre Screen but I am nervous it went so fast from GEI to Quality control that I probably got all rejects. In fact I never even saw this enter the GEI stage at any point today. ???

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 10.44.02 PM.png

And they shipped! All 25 are 9.8's! Then I look at the books I sent in May collecting dust  in their warehouse and scream WTF is the thought behind their madness. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 9.31.30 AM.png

On 11/11/2021 at 8:32 AM, Brad Ross Cohen said:

And they shipped! All 25 are 9.8's! Then I look at the books I sent in May collecting dust  in their warehouse and scream WTF is the thought behind their madness. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 9.31.30 AM.png

I agree with others that they likely have the new inexperienced staff working on recent submissions so they are not overwhelmed with overdue submissions. It's all a shoot at this point. I sent in 4 submissions in mid September and none of them qualified for this speedy service. :tonofbricks: