• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,110 posts in this topic

On 6/27/2022 at 8:10 PM, JollyComics said:

NO!!!

giphy-2.gif.7b6400c631eb418afa5681e6842a41f2.gif

I ain't sweatin it. I have very, very low expectations these days regarding CGC's capabilities. I have to keep reminding myself to not be in a hurry for what will more than likely be a very big letdown.

On 6/28/2022 at 1:28 PM, toro said:

The kids are finally coming home.  They went down to Florida for Spring Break in April of 2021, spent waaaayy to much time partying over at CCS.  A few weeks ago they all checked into the CGC rehab center and today I see that they have been released and are homeward bound.

Can you please ask your kids if they saw mine as CCS camp. They got there in April 2021 and the last I heard from them was December 2021. CCS staff keeps telling me not to worry, but I need more confirmation.

On 6/28/2022 at 10:46 AM, ak47po said:

Sadness.:frustrated:

1185627541_Screenshot(68).thumb.png.b189c38481284a8b04db0daf4f7e0b1f.png

I have 3/6 of my ecolonostomy books and the other 3 due tomorrow but I will again say it is not the TATs that are an issue but the gross difference between econ regular tier and FT. why would they treat one segment of their customers like this? It is disheartening, because now we know ANY service, tier, etc is subject to their whims and BS algorithms. They will turn the screw any time they want if they think it benefits their bottom line.

...this service announcement has been brought to you by the boardie once know as economy joe

On 6/28/2022 at 6:24 PM, Bird said:

I have 3/6 of my ecolonostomy books and the other 3 due tomorrow but I will again say it is not the TATs that are an issue but the gross difference between econ regular tier and FT. why would they treat one segment of their customers like this? It is disheartening, because now we know ANY service, tier, etc is subject to their whims and BS algorithms. They will turn the screw any time they want if they think it benefits their bottom line.

...this service announcement has been brought to you by the boardie once know as economy joe

9deac6701052efe9170f9f335a9174e9.gif

On 6/28/2022 at 7:24 PM, Bird said:

Sometimes I wonder who's behind all these bs decisions that they make.

mmm.jpg

On 6/28/2022 at 7:23 PM, skybolt said:

Can you please ask your kids if they saw mine as CCS camp. They got there in April 2021 and the last I heard from them was December 2021. CCS staff keeps telling me not to worry, but I need more confirmation.

Not sure if my kids saw yours, I am sure they did.  Mine were just partying too hard before they got their chance to go into CCS's tanning both.  After reading the notes on one of mine, he never made it into the booth as he has waviness in him.  He didn't have that when he went down to Florida, but I guess the humidity got to him. 

On 6/28/2022 at 8:45 PM, dikran1 said:

TMNT Last Ronin signing moved to GEI today  :headbang:  Can’t wait to see what the crew did to my book! 

Mine are still scheduled for grading.

Edited by toro

On 6/28/2022 at 7:24 PM, Bird said:

The Bird is Back!

So from reading the last several pages of posts it looks like prescreen seems to be moving a bit faster, but I don’t see anything about consistency. Are prescreens fairly consistent on the grading or are they throwing out obvious 9.8 books? I’ve always thought that was a bit of an odd tier addition anyway as they have an incentive to hit the grade to charge more for the book. I haven’t submitted at all this year not due to TAT but the inconsistency in grading. Just wondering if prescreen was equalizing some of the consistency?

thanks 

On 6/29/2022 at 9:10 AM, irishcritic said:

So from reading the last several pages of posts it looks like prescreen seems to be moving a bit faster, but I don’t see anything about consistency. Are prescreens fairly consistent on the grading or are they throwing out obvious 9.8 books? I’ve always thought that was a bit of an odd tier addition anyway as they have an incentive to hit the grade to charge more for the book. I haven’t submitted at all this year not due to TAT but the inconsistency in grading. Just wondering if prescreen was equalizing some of the consistency?

thanks 

I use the 9.8 pre-screen quite a bit. It works for me because it lowers the risk cost in case I hit a particularly harsh grader.

In terms of how consistent the tier is, based on my experience I would say that it is as consistent as the other tiers. That is to say that you can expect to hit one of the tougher graders every 4 or 5 submissions. It is worth noting that I am pretty sure they put their newest graders in this tier, so any toughness is likely due to a new person trying to show that they are precise. 

On 6/24/2022 at 8:33 AM, Ninja0215 said:

Absolutely , this will chase people away. I can't do another price increase. 

Me neither.  

If a price increase happens, I will likely figure out which of my books I really, really want submitted and make one final submission before shutting auto-renewal off.  

On 6/28/2022 at 12:47 PM, skybolt said:

I get your frustration. CGC grading shouldn't be like gambling, where we factor into our equation that 1 out of every 3 or 4 submissions will be completely hosed by the grader, and that we have to be prepared to shell out another $25 (minimum) to have a 70% chance that an experienced grader will grade these same books next time.

With respect to your previous point about pressing, I think professional pressers will also have to deal with a lot of complaints from customers that their books did not receive 9.8 grades because they didn't get pressed like a pancake.  For example, I have many 9.8 pressed books in my collection with 1 or 2 non color breaking spine ticks and/or spines not sitting perfectly flat. The newbie graders could easily give these books a 9.2 or 9.4 grade. 

I think moderns are being held to much, much higher standards.  
I had a Standard submission come back recently.  
Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel #1 (2009), with a couple of spine tics, I estimated to be a 9.2.  It got a 9.0.  
Comico Primer #2 (1982), with that black border cover, had many color-breaking spine creases and I estimated it to be 8.0.  I got a 9.2.  That's a HUGE difference!
(no pressing on either one)

On 6/29/2022 at 10:24 AM, djzombi said:

Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel #1 (2009), with a couple of spine tics, I estimated to be a 9.2.  It got a 9.0.  
Comico Primer #2 (1982), with that black border cover, had many color-breaking spine creases and I estimated it to be 8.0.  I got a 9.2.  That's a HUGE difference!

I honestly hate seeing non-color breaking spine ticks on pressed books. I wonder if spine stress lines tend to revert back after a couple of months sitting at CGC, more so than other pressable defects.

On 6/29/2022 at 12:38 PM, skybolt said:

I honestly hate seeing non-color breaking spine ticks on pressed books. I wonder if spine stress lines tend to revert back after a couple of months sitting at CGC, more so than other pressable defects.

Its possible that they revert back, or that they were just never completely pressed out.  Because of the curvature around the spine of the book those ticks can be difficult to press out.  Sometimes you need to use a heat sealing iron to do it, but I don't think your typical "quick press" is going to go that in depth.

On 6/29/2022 at 11:24 AM, djzombi said:

Completely agree.  If you compare a Modern 9.0 vs. a Silver Age 9.0 it wouldn't even be close.  That same Modern would likely be a 9.6 or better if it were Silver Age.  The same can probably be said for Bronze and Copper age books but I think the differences get less extreme.