• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,075 posts in this topic

Have you ever thought that CGC has dragged out TATs to increase the ad revenue on their site due to OCD collectors checking their order status three times an hour after it changes to Graded? They've certainly gotten a lot of traffic from me in the full month since my value sub hit that stage...

Have you ever thought that CGC has dragged out TATs to increase the ad revenue on their site due to OCD collectors checking their order status three times an hour after it changes to Graded? They've certainly gotten a lot of traffic from me in the full month since my value sub hit that stage...

Personally speaking I'm of the opinion that they certainly do. To what extent I'm not sure, but I'm convinced they sit on books, especially non fast tracks, it just doesnt make sense any other way. By sitting on it the accomplish a few things, more visits to the site which increases traffic so they can charge more for advertising. Submitters grow impatient so they submit more books (weakest theory, but I think it does occur) and finally frustration with the TaT so that future submissions include the additional FT fee.

Personally speaking I'm of the opinion that they certainly do. To what extent I'm not sure, but I'm convinced they sit on books, especially non fast tracks, it just doesnt make sense any other way. By sitting on it the accomplish a few things, more visits to the site which increases traffic so they can charge more for advertising. Submitters grow impatient so they submit more books (weakest theory, but I think it does occur) and finally frustration with the TaT so that future submissions include the additional FT fee.

I was completely joking about the ad revenue angle conspiracy theory, and I'm not convinced they intentionally sit on books either. It just reflects poor management and attention to their business.

I think it is just a severe bottleneck caused by a lack of investment. As many others have pointed out, they lack sufficient encapsulation machines and staff trained to use those machines. Books sit in Graded status for a long time because they can't get books through those machines any faster. Slower tiers aren't artificially slowed down, they just get processed after any faster tiers in the line ahead of them. This way it is quite possible that if they spend all day running standard/express books or fast tracked books that not a single slow track economy or value book will get encapsulated in a given day. This simply indicates that they have no interest in investing in their business to fix a known bottleneck and speed up service. And it isn't like this problem hasn't been apparent for a few years now.

I was completely joking about the ad revenue angle conspiracy theory, and I'm not convinced they intentionally sit on books either. It just reflects poor management and attention to their business.

I think it is just a severe bottleneck caused by a lack of investment. As many others have pointed out, they lack sufficient encapsulation machines and staff trained to use those machines. Books sit in Graded status for a long time because they can't get books through those machines any faster. Slower tiers aren't artificially slowed down, they just get processed after any faster tiers in the line ahead of them. This way it is quite possible that if they spend all day running standard/express books or fast tracked books that not a single slow track economy or value book will get encapsulated in a given day. This simply indicates that they have no interest in investing in their business to fix a known bottleneck and speed up service. And it isn't like this problem hasn't been apparent for a few years now.

^^

MST > Received: 5/15 > Verified: 6/10 > Scheduled for Grading: 6/18

MST > Received 6/02 >

MFT > Received: 6/02 > Verified: 6/10 > Scheduled for Grading: 6/16 >

^^

While certain aspects of this are true, I dont buy the part where lower tier books dont get graded because of higher grade books in the queque. Considering how many books get submitted, I have a hard time believing that one day there happens to be a lull and the lower tier books can get through the machines. Thats a little too convenient, and this day just happens to be around the same time give or take a day or 2 for most if not all lower tier books? I'm sorry but maybe I'm too paranoid to believe that. What makes more sense (to me) is that they sit on the books and eventually they realize"hey we've had these for a while, lets just do them" and they get encapsulated.

For your theory to hold, we would see wildly erratic turn around times for non-FT lower tier books as would be dictated by "random" days where there are no books that take precedence. As it sits, the majority of non-FT Moderns get completed in about the same amount of time, at least within a few days of the others. Hence the somewhat steady TaT's. It's too neat, and as Jim Gordon said, I'm not allowed to believe in coincidence.

Either way, your right as it has been an issue for a very long time, and they don't seem to make any efforts to correct it.

4 Modern Slow Books:

4/23 Received

5/5 Verified

5/22 Graded

Still Waiting on Quality Control. They said It should be out of QC by the end of this week and shipped back by the week after.

Still waiting on Encapsulation! This is ridiculous guys. I'm really waiting for that reliable competitor to arise.

Couldn't CGC just hire some more graders or something? The amount of books submitted seems to only be going higher. It will be a 1 year turn around for MST's in the future.

This might have been asked previously but I can't read through 400+ pages.

Does CGC send you an email/notification with tracking number once they ship your items back to you?

Yes, quite often after the books arrive at your house.

Does CGC send you an email/notification with tracking number once they ship your items back to you?

Yes, quite often after the books arrive at your house.

My books arrived yesterday evening, no email notification yet. Not sure what's up with that, do the tracking numbers have to go through the encapsulation machine too? When I first started submitting, I got the email the same day my status changed to Shipped/Safe. Last time I got the email the same day of the first delivery attempt. Yesterday, UPS guy shows up but no email to be found.

Otherwise, pretty happy with my turnaround time.

Modern Slow-Track via CCS for Quick Press

11 Apr - sent by me

14 Apr - marked received by CCS

24 Apr - finished by CCS, received by CGC

big lag

19 May - Verified

28 May - Scheduled for Grading

10 Jun - Graded

16 Jun - Shipped/Safe

18 Jun - in my basement

That looks like 46 business days door-to-door, including a pass through CCS.

It's not just good, it's good enough! (thumbs u

I have not received an email/notification with tracking number on my last 4 or 5 subs. However, if you contact them when the status indicates shipped they will provide the information.

I have not received an email/notification with tracking number on my last 4 or 5 subs. However, if you contact them when the status indicates shipped they will provide the information.

Can you name any other businesses where the customer is expected to request tracking info, and not have it provided automatically? Before you answer, also think about the dollar values for these shipments that lack provided tracking info.

Can you name any other businesses where the customer is expected to request tracking info, and not have it provided automatically? Before you answer, also think about the dollar values for these shipments that lack provided tracking info.

Thanks for the insight...thought I was missing something.

Yeah, for the amount of dollar value I expect a "We Received Your Package" and a "We Are Shipping Your Package" email with tracking number.

Thanks for the insight...thought I was missing something.

Yeah, for the amount of dollar value I expect a "We Received Your Package" and a "We Are Shipping Your Package" email with tracking number.

Me too. Amazon does this for everything, even super cheap items, and CGC has to have a much simpler distribution end of their business than Amazon does. This is just another reflection of poor investment in their business and a lack of concern about the customer service experience for the end user (who happen to be a bunch of OCD anal-retentive collectors who are most likely to be irritated by this omission).

Noticed something interesting. Fedex arrived at 10:30 or so on 5/27 with 5 Economy FT. Website however shows invoice as 5/30. So why did it take 3 days to open the box and check in my invoice? Books were marked as Graded today so sitting at officially 14 days. Not too shabby since it should ship in the next 6 days.

15 book slow track value sub showed up in the system as received on 3/25. My math says that the posted 59 day TAT plus 10 con Fridays in that span puts my expected due date at June 30th (I'm hoping that I actually see them by WW Chicago). Let's see how they do... :taptaptap:

:o Verified (finally) on 5/6. 24 (Mon-Thur) business days to reach this stage.

:o:o Scheduled for grading on 5/16, things are really moving now! lol

Graded on 5/17, all 15 showing blue labels! :cool:

6/19 - still stuck in Graded, not even moved to QC in 33 days :P At this point the 59 day TAT is not looking too likely...