• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

27,014 posts in this topic

15 book slow track value sub showed up in the system as received on 3/25. My math says that the posted 59 day TAT plus 10 con Fridays in that span puts my expected due date at June 30th (I'm hoping that I actually see them by WW Chicago). Let's see how they do... :taptaptap:

:o Verified (finally) on 5/6. 24 (Mon-Thur) business days to reach this stage.

:o:o Scheduled for grading on 5/16, things are really moving now! lol

Graded on 5/17, all 15 showing blue labels! :cool:

6/23 - still stuck in Graded, haven't even moved to QC in 36 calendar days :P The 59th business day (accounting for con Fridays) is in one week. It's not looking good for them to hit even the inflated TAT stated on the site.

6/26 - Holy mess, they moved to QC today!

6/27 - shipped/safe, and I'm very pleased with the grades. It took 58 business days (94 calendar days), which is just shy of the TAT on their site, but terribly disappointing when you consider they were graded in mid-May and sat there 40 calendar days. 42% of my wait was post-grading, which points to a serious problem in the encapsulation phase. I can understand taking a while to get to and through the graders, but once that happens the books should be flying out the door.

Edited by mysterio

So my 5 book standard coupon submission is at CGC (thanks Joey). They separated the books into 2 groups online...I assume 4 books represented by the coupons, and the other book on its own. I'm curious to see if the times are the same for both even though there are different invoice numbers.

So the book that was separated onto its own invoice went scheduled for grading today (6/27) - The other 4 books submitted on the Col Soc coupon are still sitting in verified :mad:

Standard coupon submission +1

Received 6/12

Verified 6/13

Scheduled for Grading (single book) 6/27

15 book slow track value sub showed up in the system as received on 3/25. My math says that the posted 59 day TAT plus 10 con Fridays in that span puts my expected due date at June 30th (I'm hoping that I actually see them by WW Chicago). Let's see how they do... :taptaptap:

:o Verified (finally) on 5/6. 24 (Mon-Thur) business days to reach this stage.

:o:o Scheduled for grading on 5/16, things are really moving now! lol

Graded on 5/17, all 15 showing blue labels! :cool:

6/23 - still stuck in Graded, haven't even moved to QC in 36 calendar days :P The 59th business day (accounting for con Fridays) is in one week. It's not looking good for them to hit even the inflated TAT stated on the site.

6/26 - Holy mess, they moved to QC today!

6/27 - shipped/safe, and I'm very pleased with the grades. It took 58 business days (94 calendar days), which is just shy of the TAT on their site, but terribly disappointing when you consider they were graded in mid-May and sat there 40 calendar days. 42% of my wait was post-grading, which points to a serious problem in the encapsulation phase. I can understand taking a while to get to and through the graders, but once that happens the books should be flying out the door.

You still got it in the estimated turnaround time so I don't get your complaint.

Modern Slow Track

Received 05/12

Verified 06/10

Schedule for Grading 06/16

Business Days: 25

No movement 35 business days... or 6 weeks and 4 days...

Edited by Prophet_DNA

The worst part about MFT is that they come back in the estimated time frame for the regular modern submission yet they charge you the extra 10 per book anyway. If they can't get books out on time the least they could do is charge you less after the fact (shrug)

I'm sure things won't ever change unless they get some worthy competition to take business from them. I have a coupon sub in now that is already past the estimated 15 business days and the books aren't even graded yet.

The worst part about MFT is that they come back in the estimated time frame for the regular modern submission yet they charge you the extra 10 per book anyway. If they can't get books out on time the least they could do is charge you less after the fact (shrug)

I'm sure things won't ever change unless they get some worthy competition to take business from them. I have a coupon sub in now that is already past the estimated 15 business days and the books aren't even graded yet.

This. If a company can't deliver on TATs, then they should offer a partial refund or some kind of credit on future submissions. It's the right thing to do.

lol, good luck on the refund or credit. They have the market by the balls. You don't like it? That's too bad. Our competitors are sketchy so feel free to use their services.

I guess it's a good sign the markets going strong for grading anyway.

I called on Monday and they told me my order was received on March 22. It was a SS sub. They said current turn around is 2 months minimum. My books are just sitting in their vault.

At least it'll be a nice birthday present when they all come back in October.

The bright side of life. :)

Competition is already here.....we should all write to CGC, consistently, it really is BS, charging extra to reach the original estimate and even if that runs over your still out the extra cash.

Granted I'm not privy to all the specific however I'm willing to bet that they could improve TaT's with MINIMAL effort. As someone else already mentioned, books are just sitting in the vault.

I've read a few pages here now and all I can say is wow. Those TATs are atrocious. I know CGC has the market for now - with that said were I to turn in this sort of performance at my job, I would be terminated.

But that's the game here; what are you going to do? You either wait or don't get your books graded.

Granted I'm not privy to all the specific however I'm willing to bet that they could improve TaT's with MINIMAL effort. As someone else already mentioned, books are just sitting in the vault.

Like I said on the last page, 40 of my 94 calendar days (which is really how TATs should be measured, rather than worrying about what is a business day or not), or 42% of my wait, were spent after the grading had been done. If they had enough capacity to encapsulate books that wouldn't have happened.

I can handle a wait to get graded no problem, but once the books are graded they should ship. A 40 day wait after the job we all pay for, their grading opinion, is done is the unacceptable part.

I do feel like encapsulation is a huge bottleneck. Seems like books are stuck there forever.

The wait is what it is. I'd much rather wait longer for my books than use another company who won't accurately grade my book. They do provide a top notch service, I just wish they would update expected turnaround times to be realistic.

Like I said on the last page, 40 of my 94 calendar days (which is really how TATs should be measured, rather than worrying about what is a business day or not), or 42% of my wait, were spent after the grading had been done. If they had enough capacity to encapsulate books that wouldn't have happened.

I can handle a wait to get graded no problem, but once the books are graded they should ship. A 40 day wait after the job we all pay for, their grading opinion, is done is the unacceptable part.

Whilst we all agree that the long TaTs suck, I'm still not sure what you're complaining about here - your books were completed within the current turn around time, so, technically, you got what you paid for.

If modern books had their current turnaround time drop back down to 20 business days, but 17 of those days were spent waiting for encapsulation, why would that matter? All that matters is the total amount of time the books spend in CGC's hands ...

Whilst we all agree that the long TaTs suck, I'm still not sure what you're complaining about here - your books were completed within the current turn around time, so, technically, you got what you paid for.

If modern books had their current turnaround time drop back down to 20 business days, but 17 of those days were spent waiting for encapsulation, why would that matter? All that matters is the total amount of time the books spend in CGC's hands ...

So getting 58 days (really 94) for a TAT that is inflated from the originally stated 40 business day TAT is ok because their website says so? In any event, that isn't even the real complaint but a symptom.

If TATs were inflated because it took 50 days to get to grading that would be more understandable, as you can only get so many skilled graders to do the job. That sort of bottleneck, at the skilled side of things, would make sense to me. Having such a severe bottleneck at the unskilled side of things, where investing in equipment/unskilled labor to do what should be a very quick and straightforward job of encapsulation/shipping is where I have a problem.

The longer my books sit there the greater the likelihood that they will be damaged or lost while in their possession (and I don't mean lost in the traditional sense of "I can't find it" but by something like a natural disaster/fire sort of thing). I think CGC recognizes this too, which is why they no longer display grades until the books ship, so they don't have to change grades if something happens that downgrades a book AFTER the grading process. 40 days was a looooong time for my books to sit collecting dust waiting for encapsulation. The fact that it took that long shows a lack of investment in the business, and I'm not the only one who has talked about this. This 40 day wait has significantly impacted my satisfaction with their service. Yes, you can say all you want that I got the TAT they advertise, but seeing the inner workings of this wait (i.e. 42% of the wait with the books just sitting there after the skilled part is done) is what has caused my frustration with CGC.

And I'm still expecting at least one label error in the 15 books I'll get back.

So getting 58 days (really 94) for a TAT that is inflated from the originally stated 40 business day TAT is ok because their website says so?

If TATs were inflated because it took 50 days to get to grading that would be more understandable, as you can only get so many skilled graders to do the job. That sort of bottleneck, at the skilled side of things, would make sense to me. Having such a severe bottleneck at the unskilled side of things, where investing in equipment/unskilled labor to do what should be a very quick and straightforward job of encapsulation/shipping is where I have a problem.

The longer my books sit there the greater the likelihood that they will be damaged or lost while in their possession (and I don't mean lost in the traditional sense of "I can't find it" but by something like a natural disaster/fire sort of thing). I think CGC recognizes this too, which is why they no longer display grades until the books ship, so they don't have to change grades if something happens that downgrades a book AFTER the grading process. 40 days was a looooong time for my books to sit collecting dust waiting for encapsulation. The fact that it took that long shows a lack of investment in the business, and I'm not the only one who has talked about this. This 40 day wait has significantly impacted my satisfaction with their service. Yes, you can say all you want that I got the TAT they advertise, but seeing the inner workings of this wait (i.e. 42% of the wait with the books just sitting there after the skilled part is done) is what has caused my frustration with CGC.

As I said, I think the current, long TaTs suck too.

But if a company tells you up front that their service takes X amount of days and the service ends up taking that amount of days, I still don't understand why it matters how long each step of the process took. The fact that your books spent a long time waiting for encapsulation tells us that that's where the current hold-up is (last year the hold-up was in grading, for instance), but what if the hold up was in the verification or the grading process? It still wouldn't matter because the end result is the same.

Your books are sitting in CGC's vault in-between the different steps - there's no higher likelihood of them being damaged or lost between the grading & encapsulation stage than there is between any of the other stages.

So getting 58 days (really 94) for a TAT that is inflated from the originally stated 40 business day TAT is ok because their website says so?

As I said, I think the current, long TaTs suck too.

But if a company tells you up front that their service takes X amount of days and the service ends up taking that amount of days, I still don't understand why it matters how long each step of the process took. The fact that your books spent a long time waiting for encapsulation tells us that that's where the current hold-up is (last year the hold-up was in grading, for instance), but what if the hold up was in the verification or the grading process? It still wouldn't matter because the end result is the same.

Your books are sitting in CGC's vault in-between the different steps - there's no higher likelihood of them being damaged or lost between the grading & encapsulation stage than there is between any of the other stages.

Perhaps, but if CGC thought so then they wouldn't have changed their stance on when they make grades available.