• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I got a reply / letter from Steve Ditko!

138 posts in this topic

Hey, posting all those letters made me notice something with all the signatures. If you check all the other letters responded to, the capital "S" in "Steve" always has a long tail to the left other than this letter sent to England, which has a curved tail.

Hate to say it, but I don't think that was Ditko that signed this letter going by these other examples.

there have been letters like this posted on fanmail.biz for years.

almost anyone that writes him will get a response. its not ditko. he has someone that answers his mail. its an authentic signature it just wasnt signed by ditko.

there are a bunch addresses on that site that will get you a response. many are legit. many are not. i got a really nice eastwood 8 x 10 signed by clint eastwoods secretary.

And how do you know this?

He gave an answer earlier in the thread.

Still doesn't prove anything unless he knows him personally or something.

there have been letters like this posted on fanmail.biz for years.

almost anyone that writes him will get a response. its not ditko. he has someone that answers his mail. its an authentic signature it just wasnt signed by ditko.

there are a bunch addresses on that site that will get you a response. many are legit. many are not. i got a really nice eastwood 8 x 10 signed by clint eastwoods secretary.

And how do you know this?

He gave an answer earlier in the thread.

Still doesn't prove anything unless he knows him personally or something.

I didnt say it proved anything,but hes not gonna have a different answer for 50 people who ask him the same question is he ?

One of these things is not like the others, ...

Ditko_compare_zps0aaf2655.jpg

And only twice is the "i" in "Ditko" not a solid line, but rather looped.

As a cursive writer, those all look pretty similar. Which one do you not think is the same?

Bottom right-hand "S" seems to have a different line to the left, with a pronounced curve. The others all have a straight line to the left.

Am I seeing things from reading too many comics?

Like the Empress said,that one does seem to be the culprit.

I'm just wondering why one time he would only sign Steve.

I sign my name just Dave sometimes. (shrug) Signatures are going to be different everytime you sign your name,but there are always going to be similarities.They all have the same characteristics,so I would tend to think that the signature is in fact Steve Ditko.

Does anyone have a known authentic signature? any one of those posted maybe?

Edited by oakman29

Ahh gotcha.

The intent of my question was looking for an validity or proof rather than just a reply.

i have no more proof then my knowledge and from being an autograph hound since i was a very small child. as a small child my father would help me write letters to different people to see what we would get back. i have continued that through my life. there are a few things i know about through the mail autographs.

one of them is that ditko doesnt answer his own mail. i dont live with him. i dont check his mail. but just as there are people here that know more about the history of comics then most including myself. i feel i know more then most about ttm autograph collecting. it has always been a part of my life.

on the ditko letter. its just known they are fakes. i say this in the same way that some here can see that a comic has certain problems that most dont see. its just what i do.

its like stan. stans people sent a letter to a friend of mine that he will no longer do it but in the past anything that was sent to stan at his " pow entertainment " address he would sign for free. the last thing he signed for me three weeks ago was the hulk dvd insert.

but no i have no picture of someone else checking or answering ditkos mail.

One of these things is not like the others, ...

Ditko_compare_zps0aaf2655.jpg

And only twice is the "i" in "Ditko" not a solid line, but rather looped.

As a cursive writer, those all look pretty similar. Which one do you not think is the same?

Bottom right-hand "S" seems to have a different line to the left, with a pronounced curve. The others all have a straight line to the left.

Am I seeing things from reading too many comics?

Yea but the S is very similar to the others. They all seem to have a different quality that isn't consistent.

Like the middle one on the left- The angle in the S isn't as sharp and has more curve.

The bottom one on the left the V ends much lower than any other of the others.

The top left the S doesn't have an upper loop.

The bottom right the D starts much higher.

These all are just the eye of a teacher who looks at handwriting all the time. I'd say they all are the same signature though. Sign your name 10 times in cursive and see how similar they look. I'm always amazed how mine looks the same, but then at the same time there are distinct differences too. I'd say Ditko's is pretty darn close in each.