• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

You can't compare a limited ASM variant with a cult favorite cover, Marvel's flagship superhero by the way, to a Valiant book or some other fly by night title, sorry.

The amount of people who want this variant and will pay $1K-$4K (depending on condition) outnumber the amount of existing copies. Do I think it will be a $10K book someday? Probably not, but unless an actual financial depression hits the country, this book won't drop in value. Ever.

I think there's more of a chance of WD #1 dropping when the series and TV show are done for 5 or 10 years

+1

Nailed it!

-J.

The fact that not one, but THREE people think that a statement like "unless an actual financial depression hits the country, this book won't drop in value. Ever" is a reasonable statement to make is rather unnerving.

It really reveals a lot.

Those who understand, beware...be very, very wary.

How can someone say that, and with such certainty, that this book won't drop in value? Ever? lol

Kids.... :facepalm:

Very simple, for the same reason that no matter how much damage Jerry Only has done to The Misfits legacy over the last 20 years, the prices of original Misfits vinyl continue to rise.

Demand > supply

To reply to RMA's hissyfit, I don't know how many copies of ASM 678 are out there, you sure as Hell don't, but more people want it than there are copies that exist, than there are copies for sale, than there are copies in 9.8. I'll pass a polygraph on that one

I've fed the troll, it's time to feed my cats

Out

If you can't have a discussion without resorting to namecalling and juvenile characterizations, you probably shouldn't be posting on internet message boards. If you can't handle people challenging what you say without calling them "trolls" and saying they're having a "hissyfit" for doing so, the problem lies with you.

Demand is greater than supply NOW. Demand, however, has a funny way of changing over time.

And you just changed the parameters of your argument. Now you say "more people want it than there are copies that exist." I don't dispute that at all.

But your original claim was that "The amount of people who want this variant and will pay $1K-$4K (depending on condition) outnumber the amount of existing copies."

(emphasis added)

That's a materially different argument. You can't change the parameters of your argument, and expect the results to be the same.

You can't compare a limited ASM variant with a cult favorite cover, Marvel's flagship superhero by the way, to a Valiant book or some other fly by night title, sorry.

The amount of people who want this variant and will pay $1K-$4K (depending on condition) outnumber the amount of existing copies. Do I think it will be a $10K book someday? Probably not, but unless an actual financial depression hits the country, this book won't drop in value. Ever.

I think there's more of a chance of WD #1 dropping when the series and TV show are done for 5 or 10 years

+1

Nailed it!

-J.

The fact that not one, but THREE people think that a statement like "unless an actual financial depression hits the country, this book won't drop in value. Ever" is a reasonable statement to make is rather unnerving.

It really reveals a lot.

How can someone say that, and with such certainty, that this book won't drop in value? Ever? lol

Very simple, for the same reason that no matter how much damage Jerry Only has done to The Misfits legacy over the last 20 years, the prices of original Misfits vinyl continue to rise.

Demand > supply

To reply to RMA's hissyfit, I don't know how many copies of ASM 678 are out there, you sure as Hell don't, but more people want it than there are copies that exist, than there are copies for sale, than there are copies in 9.8. I'll pass a polygraph on that one

Out

If you can't have a discussion without resorting to namecalling and juvenile characterizations, you probably shouldn't be posting on internet message boards. If you can't handle people challenging what you say without calling them "trolls" and saying they're having a "hissyfit" for doing so, the problem lies with you.

Demand is greater than supply NOW. Demand, however, has a funny way of changing over time.

And you just changed the parameters of your argument. Now you say "more people want it than there are copies that exist." I don't dispute that at all.

But your original claim was that "The amount of people who want this variant and will pay $1K-$4K (depending on condition) outnumber the amount of existing copies."

(emphasis added)

That's a materially different argument. You can't change the parameters of your argument, and expect the results to be the same.

supply can also change over time...

+1

Nailed it!

-J.

It really reveals a lot.

Demand > supply

Out

(emphasis added)

supply can also change over time...

It can indeed. The funny thing about supply with regards to collectibles, though, is that it never increases over time, only decreases. Demand can go either way.

I sold it.

MCS

It could ?

I see a 9.4 selling for $1750 on GPA just this past February but I can't figure out what venue that happened on. (shrug)

-J.

Nice. Congrats on the sale. :headbang:

And to think that yours, and this raw copy...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-678-venom-variant-/222038909181?hash=item33b28ce0fd:g:COEAAOSwuAVW1Sxd

...both sold when nobody was posting in this thread at all, including for the (allegedly) sole purpose of selling a copy or "protecting their investment". :roflmao: ( :gossip: It's called an "appreciation thread", genius.)

Supply/demand indeed. hm

-J.

I sold it.

MCS

It could ?

I see a 9.4 selling for $1750 on GPA just this past February but I can't figure out what venue that happened on. (shrug)

-J.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-678-venom-variant-/222038909181?hash=item33b28ce0fd:g:COEAAOSwuAVW1Sxd

...both sold when nobody was posting in this thread at all, including for the (allegedly) sole purpose of selling a copy or "protecting their investment". :roflmao: ( :gossip: It's called an "appreciation thread", genius.)

Supply/demand indeed. hm

-J.

That sounded like a challenge so just for fun, I will focus on this part.

...both sold when nobody was posting in this thread at all, including for the (allegedly) sole purpose of selling a copy or "protecting their investment". :roflmao:

Let's do the easy one, the e-bay raw auction linked above was a ten day auction started on March 1st that ended on March 11th, it is TRUE, this thread wasn't bumped during that time period.

However :shy:

On March 2 - a WTB thread got "serviced" by someone linking to the live auction.

On March 4 - Someone started a Venom movie discussion thread thread.

On March 7 - Then in a miscellaneous variant discussion thread someone directed someone who linked to the auction to this unbumped thread when they asked about it.

There probably would have been more action but someone was probably busy and/or distracted arguing about whether white page books get a premium.

:grin:

I sold it.

MCS

It could ?

-J.

Supply/demand indeed. hm

-J.

That sounded like a challenge so just for fun, I will focus on this part.

...both sold when nobody was posting in this thread at all, including for the (allegedly) sole purpose of selling a copy or "protecting their investment". :roflmao:

Let's do the easy one, the e-bay raw auction linked above was a ten day auction started on March 1st that ended on March 11th, it is TRUE, this thread wasn't bumped during that time period.

However :shy:

On March 2 - a WTB thread got "serviced" by someone linking to the live auction.

On March 4 - Someone started a Venom movie discussion thread thread.

On March 7 - Then in a miscellaneous variant discussion thread someone directed someone who linked to the auction to this unbumped thread when they asked about it.

There probably would have been more action but someone was probably busy and/or distracted arguing about whether white page books get a premium.

:grin:

What are you even trying to say with this man ?

Can you tell us who was on the grassy knoll too ? lol

How about this instead.....

The GPA record sale of Elijahsnow's 9.4 copy on February 16 (when nobody was talking about the book on these boards) shook loose a nice looking high grade raw copy for sale 12 days later....

....as well as the (current, also 9.4) copy at auction on eBay now.

You give far too much weight to anything that goes on on these boards, and certainly to some random dude's WTB thread.

This thread was originally started (back in 2012) because the book blew up. The book didn't blow up because the thread was created. And as demonstrated when I re-linked the first page here, nearly the identical naysaying happened on page one that's still going on 110+ pages later, and guess what.... ? It still isn't making any difference. (thumbs u

Supply/demand. 4+ years strong. :banana:

-J.

4 years ago I wasn't impressed with this book either when I was making bad baby May/One More Day retcon jokes .

A year and a half before you signed up for these here boards.

:baiting:

As you'll see from the response by the next poster I started the hype for this book.

:acclaim:

lol With an assist from Awax! :whee:

-J.

This book already DID experience a lull in FMV....check GPA.

Here's a 'lil anecdote....

I never had a copy but at different times, I pressed 2 copies of this book for another boardie, both copies came back as CGC 9.6's.

Around 3/2015, said boardie got something like $2000 for his first CGC 9.6 via eBay BIN.

He got another copy,a Voldemort slabbed 9.2 (or 9.4, I can't remember) he snagged off of ebay, which I CPR'd for him at Wizard Philly.

He had trouble selling the book the second time around, despite it getting a 9.6 from CGC after the CPR. (shortly after last year's Wizard Philly).....I think he got $1500 (or maybe less, I dunno) via ebay.Can't remember if he suctioned it or took a best offer, think it was the latter.

As of ther past few months, it's picking up steam again.

To say that the book won't "ever" drop in value...it's not an Action 1 or AF 15.

I don't think it is somehow either undervalued or overvalued, the market invariably corrects itself.To suggest anything further, along the lines of it will either drop in price or it'll hit 5K in CGC 9.8 by next March is mental masturbation.

All that said, I'd love to get my hands on a raw copy of this book and then slab it.....aaaaand if this board had an emoticon for a premature ejaculation smiley, I'd place it right after that last sentence I typed....because this book oozes cash money (thumbs u

I never had a copy but at different times, I pressed 2 copies of this book for another boardie, both copies came back as CGC 9.6's.

Around 3/2015, said boardie got something like $2000 for his first CGC 9.6 via eBay BIN.

He got another copy,a Voldemort slabbed 9.2 (or 9.4, I can't remember) he snagged off of ebay, which I CPR'd for him at Wizard Philly.

He had trouble selling the book the second time around, despite it getting a 9.6 from CGC after the CPR. (shortly after last year's Wizard Philly).....I think he got $1500 (or maybe less, I dunno) via ebay.Can't remember if he suctioned it or took a best offer, think it was the latter.

To say that the book won't "ever" drop in value...it's not an Action 1 or AF 15.

I don't think it is somehow either undervalued or overvalued, the market invariably corrects itself.To suggest anything further, along the lines of it will either drop in price or it'll hit 5K in CGC 9.8 by next March is mental masturbation.

All that said, I'd love to get my hands on a raw copy of this book and then slab it.....aaaaand if this board had an emoticon for a premature ejaculation smiley, I'd place it right after that last sentence I typed....because this book oozes cash money (thumbs u

Ding dong. Even Action 1 and AF 15 can go down. :preach:

You managed to use the phrases "mental masturbation" "premature "ejaculation" and "oozes" in a comic book post. Very descriptive but effectively got your point across. lol

You managed to use the phrases "mental masturbation" "premature "ejaculation" and "oozes" in a comic book post. Very descriptive but effectively got your point across. lol

Thanks, it's nice to be appreciated :shy:

This is the sort of book that I would love to find on the cheap, out of dealer overstock/bulk at a show, that was pretty much what I was referencing by the "premature ejaculation" bit :roflmao:

Hell, I'd give up anywhere from $1000-$2000K in trade for this book....at FMV prices on my CGC slabs, raw SA/BA run & key books.I have less than 25 low to mid grade pre-code horror and GA books that I'd let someone pick from.

But, I digress....to get back on track with more more mental masturbation, I'll add the following.

It is possible after all to find a copy of this book at a show for next to nothing., I've found 1 copy each of Man Of Steel 4th and 5th prints in $1 boxes at a small local show about a year ago, for example.A boardie posted in the SA DC war thread that he recently found a lower grade copy of Our Army At War 83 for $10 at a con...cover intact and all;)

A dealer buddy of mine, who was set up at Wizard Philly last year, found a Hulk 377 3rd print in a $1 box lol

I found a Wonder Woman 105 at Baltimore on the SECOND DAY of the show, for $2 or $3.Albeit, it was coverless.But still....a WW 105 for two lousy dollars???

It was in one of the dealer's boxes on the floor, which were NEARLY ALL ALPHANUMERICAL...and there was even a comic divider with "Wonder Woman" written on it.All of the floor books were price pointed at $2 across the board...maybe they all priced at $3 each, I can't remember.

I guess a price point of two bucks a book wasn't cheap enough for most Baltimore attendees to crack their kneejoints (shrug) ..............I should have gotten that guy's business card, duh :frustrated:

...ah, to live the dream of finding an ASM 678 variant at a show, for next to nothing...will probably never happen but ya never know. :cloud9:

...ah, to live the dream of finding an ASM 678 variant at a show, for next to nothing...will probably never happen but ya never know. :cloud9:

Wasn't at a show but the one I got in Sept 2012 that got a 9.8 was at an LCS for $30, Never say "never." Unless it's about the price of this book dropping. Then it's definitely never lol

Ding dong. Even Action 1 and AF 15 can go down. :preach:

Action #1 and AF #15 can, and have gone down in value.

Between 1938 and 1950, there probably wasn't more than 25-50 people who paid 10 cents or more for an Action #1....because that was something you threw away.

AF #15 went down in value twice: the first time, between 1983-1985, when the Silver Age slump hit, and the massive price runups of the previous decade hit a wall...and again in 1997-2000, when all but the nicest (and rarest) copies suffered an even more severe drawback in value.

For fun, check out the price adjustments between the 1997 and 1998 OPGs.

Only the foolish think that a variant that is 4 years old can "never go down in value."

Oh, and Recalled Comics is still not a credible source. There's so much misinformation there. What a shame, all that effort, much of it wasted.