• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

A couple books to keep an eye on...

Jerome

Looks like the 9.8 was re-listed. But the 9.4 closed at $1650 ($400+ over the last sale and just $100 under the GPA high).

-J.

That 9.8 has been re-listed 4 times now without any bids.

A 9.8 also just failed to sell on the boards for $3,300. :ohnoez:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-man-678-CGC-9-8-MJ-Variant-Cover-/252494602002?hash=item3ac9d9df12:g:xmkAAOSw6n5XqmNj

:popcorn:

-J.

:popcorn::wishluck:

Jerome

$2,247.00 :tonofbricks:

Woah. That's the lowest I've seen a 9.8. Looks like the market thinks this book is sub $2500 now? What's the last 9.8 sale?

$3500.

An unsold item in an auction that didn't hit reserve (not a surprise since most reserved auctions are shunned by buyers) is not a comp.

-J.

I hear ya. I don't bid on reserve auctions either. Seller should remove the reserve feature and just let the market decide. He may get more serious bidders. :baiting:

A couple books to keep an eye on...

Jerome

Looks like the 9.8 was re-listed. But the 9.4 closed at $1650 ($400+ over the last sale and just $100 under the GPA high).

-J.

That 9.8 has been re-listed 4 times now without any bids.

A 9.8 also just failed to sell on the boards for $3,300. :ohnoez:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-man-678-CGC-9-8-MJ-Variant-Cover-/252494602002?hash=item3ac9d9df12:g:xmkAAOSw6n5XqmNj

:popcorn:

-J.

:popcorn::wishluck:

Jerome

$2,247.00 :tonofbricks:

Woah. That's the lowest I've seen a 9.8. Looks like the market thinks this book is sub $2500 now? What's the last 9.8 sale?

$3500.

An unsold item in an auction that didn't hit reserve (not a surprise since most reserved auctions are shunned by buyers) is not a comp.

-J.

I hear ya. I don't bid on reserve auctions either. Seller should remove the reserve feature and just let the market decide. He may get more serious bidders. :baiting:

I agree. He had over 50 watchers in less than 3 days. No guts no glory. :acclaim:

-J.

Exactly. I really don't see the point of using reserve. What a waste of time. If anything use a best offer option.

There is an entire market of ebayers that ignore BIN listings

No denying that. However, this book in 9.8 doesn't pop up very often. So the small number of collectors looking for this book in 9.8 will at least send best offers I would imagine.

I'm glad everyone has their own opinion on how a sale should be handled. If the book doesn't sell at $3300, then I guess the market says the book's value is dropping. $3300 should technically be a "steal" if it went for $3500 last year. However, maybe the book's value is dropping.

It's a rare book. If a collector wants it badly ... It can be had for a pretty decent buyout.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

I was the top bidder on the reserve auction. This was only a $1000 book a couple years ago. It escalated in price quickly. That 3500 sale, which may have been someone's grail purchase or shilled, appears to be the current peak. That isn't the market now. The market at that price has been filled. Remaining collectors interested in a 9.8 copy that represent the current market demand are setting a market price that is clearly below $3300 here and $2,247 on ebay. 50 watchers... i bet some of those were owners looking to see where it would end.

I agree a reserve auction limits attempted bids and interest but if the expected market price for that book was $3500 why didn't at least 2 bidders test the reserve price at that amount? Instead it ended below my max bid. I doubt my max bid would have met the reserve price anyway but I wasn't surprised the next highest bidder was only in at $2247. It's also possible buyers didn't want to expose what they are willing to pay in a reserve auction. Another possibility is many already have a 9.6 and are satisfied.

Personally I value a 9.8 copy of this book between $1900 and 2200 but was willing to pay slightly more to see where the market for this copy was. You now have solid knowledge of the current market for this book between the board PMs and recent ebay results.

For the time being it seems the curent market for that copy is somewhere between $2,000 and $2250. This could always change. Perhaps selling in the spring during tax return season might net better results.

I was the top bidder on the reserve auction. This was only a $1000 book a couple years ago. It escalated in price quickly. That 3500 sale, which may have been someone's grail purchase or shilled, appears to be the current peak. That isn't the market now. The market at that price has been filled. Remaining collectors interested in a 9.8 copy that represent the current market demand are setting a market price that is clearly below $3300 here and $2,247 on ebay. 50 watchers... i bet some of those were owners looking to see where it would end.

I agree a reserve auction limits attempted bids and interest but if the expected market price for that book was $3500 why didn't at least 2 bidders test the reserve price at that amount? Instead it ended below my max bid. I doubt my max bid would have met the reserve price anyway but I wasn't surprised the next highest bidder was only in at $2247. It's also possible buyers didn't want to expose what they are willing to pay in a reserve auction. Another possibility is many already have a 9.6 and are satisfied.

Personally I value a 9.8 copy of this book between $1900 and 2200 but was willing to pay slightly more to see where the market for this copy was. You now have solid knowledge of the current market for this book between the board PMs and recent ebay results.

For the time being it seems the curent market for that copy is somewhere between $2,000 and $2250. This could always change. Perhaps selling in the spring during tax return season might net better results.

When I sold mine last Spring for $3600 it was the 1st 9.8 that popped in a year, so maybe with more copies showing up since then the amount of people who need it and will pay that much already have one. Also, folks could still be wary about the new case. I've passed on books I wanted with the new case because I'm not so sure that CGC got all the bugs fixed yet

When I sold mine last Spring for $3600 it was the 1st 9.8 that popped in a year, so maybe with more copies showing up since then the amount of people who need it and will pay that much already have one. Also, folks could still be wary about the new case. I've passed on books I wanted with the new case because I'm not so sure that CGC got all the bugs fixed yet

All true statements. Regarding the new cases, I am passing on all books in the new cases without the inner well. I just don't want to deal with it. I think it behooves sellers to say if their new case book has the inner well or not. It is sometimes difficult to ascertain.

Indeed.

And again, a copy not selling on eBay because it did not hit reserve is not a "result" and certainly does not provide "solid knowledge " of anything. Auctions of major SA and GA keys fail to hit reserve quite often in big auction houses and those aren't indicators of value either and none of the big players who regularly post on those boards have ever suggested such. They usually just deride the fact that it was a reserved auction (ie, nobody likes them).

And if anyone believes that PM's from all the notorious lowballers on these boards is an "indicator of value" (particularly on a high priced modern variant) they should have their head examined. By that logic , books that go with no offers or PM's and don't sell here at all are worth 0.

-J.

Exactly. I really don't see the point of using reserve. What a waste of time. If anything use a best offer option.

There is an entire market of ebayers that ignore BIN listings

And there's an entire market of ebayers that know that, for certain niche items that are fairly volatile, reserve auctions are a viable method to sell, provided the seller tells bidders what the reserve is, so they can determine if it's worth their time.

For a copy of X-Force #1, sure, Reserve auctions are dumb.

But for the 13 people who are willing to pay "the market price" for the book at the moment, you don't want to risk missing some of those buyers because of an off week, and reserves protect that.

The new, updated case has an inner well....so yeah, the bugs have been stamped out.

This listing has an inner well, the seller does not actually state that but if you look very closely, it is there.He definitely dropped the ball on not stating that fact.But what Lonzilla said is spot on, if a buyer is not confident in CGC's b/c of the 4/2016 holder , that would inspire lower bidding on a given book.

Which very well may have been the case with this book.

If you can't tell by the pics, look up the cert # and check the grade date.If it was graded after 6/26/2016, the book has an inner well.*

*Reference ;)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9425591#Post9425591

I make a distinct point of stating this in all of my listings, any seller that does not do so is effing up, IMHO.

Verily so, ye may gaze in wonderment upon my Nyx 5 9.8 sold listing...

The buyer gave me 5 star feedback on this book, FWIW...and I just saw that he emailed me thanking me for giving him the heads up on GPA, which he has now suscribed to.

Moving on past my pedantic, self congratulatory wankery....

As far as using reserves, bids falling short of last 9.8 sales in GPA on this ASM 678 MJ variant...meh.

Reserves on auctions IMO create watchers and tire kickers, not much more.

If the guy wants any given price for the book, just list the damn thing at the BIN price you want for it.If it is fair, you'll get it.Might take a while, but it'll get hit.

I'd put the BIN at $3500 + the cost of insured shipping (ball parked at $50 for US, roughly double that for international buyers) and just wait....eh, I'd actually have this book sold by Comic Link or Comic Connect, not by myself on eBay.The 10% vig is still the same, and CC/CL handle the listing and shipping of the book.If a CC is used to pay for the book on CC or CL, you then have to pay 3% to cover that fee....just as a seller would normally have to do with ebay seller fees at 10% for most sellers and paypal fees for sellers at 2.9%.

No reserve price auction funny business.Although RMA is right on about using reserves if the reserve price is stated but a book this big should be brokered by a third party like CC or CL as another thing that may have prohibited this book from selling is that it is a big money book and it's not being offered by a nationally known dealer.

Eff proper period usage........ run on sentences in bold typecast FTW.

New case stigma/uncertainty.

Reserve auction with unknown reserve.

More 9.8s now on the census than during previous sales.

Increased frequency of listed copies in a year than before.

Buyers saving up for other purchases or holidays.

Buyers being busy on vacation.

Etc.

All valid reasons the sale didn't net better results.

Frankly if you want this copy badly enough you will pay whatever the seller asks and won't care about the case, reserve or number of copies coming to market. Clearly none of those reasons deterred me from bidding my max. I clearly just don't want/need it as badly as the price the seller is putting on it...and frankly neither are any of the other "interested" parties...at this time.

I think the seller may have missed the window for a quick high sale. But if he can wait it out or is able to locate that 1 or 2 competitive buyers he could get his ask or more.

The book, like any other book, experiences pricing fluctuations.

The most recent closed sales within the last 30 days are all within GPA averages or near highs.

What you don't see is sellers willing to sell their copies to lowballers, and one book not selling in a reserve eBay auction doesn't consitute a "trend" one way or the other. (thumbs u

-J.

The book, like any other book, experiences pricing fluctuations.

The most recent closed sales within the last 30 days are all within GPA averages or near highs.

What you don't see is sellers willing to sell their copies to lowballers, and one book not selling in a reserve eBay auction doesn't consitute a "trend" one way or the other. (thumbs u

-J.

I think for a book like this (and yes you might get lucky with auction timing), is best set at BIN at 15%-20% above gpa with a best offer option, and just let the rich supercollectors come at you on their own time, and hope for drunken impulse buys. Unless you're in a rush to sell...in which case you need to plan your life better...or its a super emergency then you put it up for 10% less than GPA to sell TODAY.

The book we are all talking about is my book. I'm not exactly in a rush to sell it. I make a very comfortable living, so money is not an issue. If I get anything over $1K, I'll be OK because that's what I personally paid for this book. If I never sell it, I'll proudly display this book with all my other hard to find 9.8 variants.

Right now the auction is for $3600 OBO. An obvious disclaimer is that I'm not a "pro" at selling anything on eBay or these forums. I do try and take whatever criticism in hand and at least tweak my listings as needed. So far everyone has given very good advice (even the person who likes to self congratulate), so thanks for paying attention and taking the time to post your thoughts here.

The book we are all talking about is my book. I'm not exactly in a rush to sell it. I make a very comfortable living, so money is not an issue. If I get anything over $1K, I'll be OK because that's what I personally paid for this book. If I never sell it, I'll proudly display this book with all my other hard to find 9.8 variants.

Right now the auction is for $3600 OBO. An obvious disclaimer is that I'm not a "pro" at selling anything on eBay or these forums. I do try and take whatever criticism in hand and at least tweak my listings as needed. So far everyone has given very good advice (even the person who likes to self congratulate), so thanks for paying attention and taking the time to post your thoughts here.

It's a great book and if you're doing well enough that you don't have to sell it, don't.

It's a great book and if you're doing well enough that you don't have to sell it, don't.

i would say that if you're doing that well that you buy modern variants for a G, you probably don't need any of our advice. Do your thing, enjoy life and comics, make it rain in Ibiza, hunt dinosaurs off the coast of South America, wear sandals with socks, wear wife beaters to Hollywood clubs, sit next the orange Marlins jacket guy at games, grow a resurrected Superman mullet, do all those things successful people do, good for you!

So why not start the listing at $1,000 with no reserve? It'd all be profit beyond that and I'd be super surprised if you don't make 150% profit, minimum. You've got a lot less on the line than most owners of the book who could risk taking a bath on the sale if they paid over $3K for the book.

But I understand if you enjoy having the book, maybe you don't really want to sell it? (shrug)

Jerome

So why not start the listing at $1,000 with no reserve? It'd all be profit beyond that and I'd be super surprised if you don't make 150% profit, minimum. You've got a lot less on the line than most owners of the book who could risk taking a bath on the sale if they paid over $3K for the book.

But I understand if you enjoy having the book, maybe you don't really want to sell it? (shrug)

Jerome

that's a great idea. :baiting: