• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

I would think that it does correlate. Some assumptions can be made based on the regular books print run that the incentive book is based on. If the ratio is 1:25 then for every 25 a LCS orders of the regular comic they get one incentive. If the regular book has a print run of 50'000 then the max that was distributed is 2000 + overprinting so maybe 2500. But of course a lot of LCS's would not have ordered 25 copies of the regular book so I would think it reasonable to assume that the number distributed is less than that.

Yes, there is a broad correlation, but it is very broad, and based on factors that are, essentially, unknown to the retail community at large. The only connection the print run of the variant has to do with the print run of the regular version is that it establishes a floor for the minimum number of copies a publisher has to print to fulfill orders.

Your post here contains a common misunderstanding: that Marvel doesn't know how many shops ordered 25 copies of the regular book, and thus doesn't know how many of the incentive they actually have to print, and just print based on the numbers for the regular. That's not true. At the time of FOC (Final Order Cutoff) Diamond, and thus Marvel, knows not only how many regular books to print, but also how many stores qualified for the incentive, so they know precisely how many copies they are required to print and distribute of that, too.

Again: the "1:X" are distribution ratios, not print run ratios. That is a misunderstanding that has now, through repetition, been turned into a "fact."

Otherwise, there is no connection, and variants, especially at Marvel, are not "printed to order." Those decisions are made in publication/circulation, and they are not released by Marvel in any official manner (as opposed to, say, convention variants or DF variants, which usually have such print information released for marketing purposes.)

Such reasoning becomes clear: if Marvel is trying to get retailers to order a certain number of books to qualify for a variant, they are going to want to create the impression that such a variant is, in fact, worth having, and "limited", at least to an extent.

This is why there has always been an aura of mystery surrounding incentive variants: there's an incentive to have it so.

Marvel and Diamond have regularly, over the years, offered unsold incentives, most usually at cut-rate prices, to retailers. This is further evidence of the fact that such variants are not "printed to order." If they were, they would all have been distributed at the time, and overage for spoiling doesn't account for all of these extra copies.

As has been seen, the "1:X" number has been shown to not have much relevance when it comes to market rarity, desirability, or access. Some 1:25 books have become excessively difficult to find, while some 1:100 books are exceptionally easy.

I would think that it does correlate. Some assumptions can be made based on the regular books print run that the incentive book is based on. If the ratio is 1:25 then for every 25 a LCS orders of the regular comic they get one incentive. If the regular book has a print run of 50'000 then the max that was distributed is 2000 + overprinting so maybe 2500. But of course a lot of LCS's would not have ordered 25 copies of the regular book so I would think it reasonable to assume that the number distributed is less than that.

Exactly. Estimated print runs and distribution are not mutually exclusive. I don't know why some people keep implying that they are.

I'm not sure what you're referring to by "estimated print runs." Distribution ratios have nothing to do with print runs of incentive variants, other than the aforementioned "floor" being established.

Also the ASM 678 VenoMJ was a 1:50 on a 50,000 print run not a 1:25. I've seen estimated print runs on the variant at 800, but I would personally put it at about 500-600. Shops just weren't ordering heavily on ASM during this time. The 1:25 ratio I was referring to pertained to the X-23 #1 Dell'Ottto variant.

Since we know that distribution numbers don't have much to do with print runs, where do you come up with your estimate of 500-800 copies for this variant? Do you have a source for those numbers? it would be nice to get some hard evidence for the actual print runs of these incentive variants, that isn't based on the idea that the distribution numbers have much to do with the print runs.

hm

So, ......scam or legit seller?? He also has a Hulk 181 with the cgc label scratched. Looks like a scammer to me but perhaps just a newbie seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172021397125?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I wouldn't trust the seller.

1.) IH181 cgc number is scratched out

2.) IH181 "photo" is not like the rest of the sellers photos

So, ......scam or legit seller?? He also has a Hulk 181 with the cgc label scratched. Looks like a scammer to me but perhaps just a newbie seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172021397125?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Scam. Snikt!1988 has already said that seller is using pics of his book before he (Snikt) had it graded. :tonofbricks:

-J.

Looks like the VenoMJ is still rolling along...

After a boardie sold his 9.8 copy at full boat for $3,500 on ebay

http://item.ebay.co.uk/141845000096?item_hash4=548bd451&LH_Complete=1&LH_BIN=1&LH_BO=1&_ipg=200&_pgn=1&rc=nt&rmvSB=true

a 9.6 SS copy went for $1,925

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Amazing-Spider-man-678-Venom-variant-CGC-9-6-SS-STAN-LEE-ONLY-ONE-ON-EBAY-/191752552987?hash=item2ca557c21b:g:w9MAAOSwZd1VYM4R

and then a high grade looking raw copy sold for $1,500

http://item.ebay.co.uk/121848235540?item_hash4=48a090b3&LH_Complete=1&LH_BIN=1&LH_BO=1&_ipg=200&_pgn=1&rc=nt&rmvSB=true

Not a bad little run there for a still seriously cool book.

-J.

and then a high grade looking raw copy sold for $1,500

http://item.ebay.co.uk/121848235540?item_hash4=48a090b3&LH_Complete=1&LH_BIN=1&LH_BO=1&_ipg=200&_pgn=1&rc=nt&rmvSB=true

Not a bad little run there for a still seriously cool book.

-J.

That raw one came from the same LCS that mine did. I always received high grade stuff from them.

"Does sex sell? Buy this comic to find out!" I don't remember what issue it was that had that on the cover, but I think of it when I see this book.

Jerome

That would be Cry For Dawn #5.

The second printing said "Does sex sell? So far, so good!"

"Does sex sell? Buy this comic to find out!" I don't remember what issue it was that had that on the cover, but I think of it when I see this book.

Jerome

That would be Cry For Dawn #5.

The second printing said "Does sex sell? So far, so good!"

Ahh yes! Thanks man.

Jerome