• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

You can't compare a limited ASM variant with a cult favorite cover, Marvel's flagship superhero by the way, to a Valiant book or some other fly by night title, sorry.

You absolutely can. "Fly by night"? In 1992, and for much of 1993, Valiant was the hottest company in the country, and Harbinger #1 was $150+. It was hardly "fly by night", unless you count many months at the top of the back issue charts as "fly by night."

And, lest we forget, Spidey may be Marvel's flagship superhero, but he has experienced some serious downtime, too...."clone saga", anyone?

The amount of people who want this variant and will pay $1K-$4K (depending on condition) outnumber the amount of existing copies.

Um, what....?

1. How do you know how many existing copies there are?

2. How do you know that the number of people who will pay $1k-$4k is greater than that?

Do I think it will be a $10K book someday? Probably not, but unless an actual financial depression hits the country, this book won't drop in value. Ever.

hm

This is what is referred to in many circles as "famous last words."

Some enterprising young fellow could probably find examples from my silly youth of me saying such foolish things.

I think there's more of a chance of WD #1 dropping when the series and TV show are done for 5 or 10 years

You had probably better hope that history, which is notoriously cyclical, isn't cyclical when it comes to the comic book market...which, of course, isn't reasonable to hope.

It's 1993 all over again.

You can't compare a limited ASM variant with a cult favorite cover, Marvel's flagship superhero by the way, to a Valiant book or some other fly by night title, sorry.

The amount of people who want this variant and will pay $1K-$4K (depending on condition) outnumber the amount of existing copies. Do I think it will be a $10K book someday? Probably not, but unless an actual financial depression hits the country, this book won't drop in value. Ever.

I think there's more of a chance of WD #1 dropping when the series and TV show are done for 5 or 10 years

:golfclap:

Well said buddy.

Jerome

Yikes.

The amount of people who want this variant and will pay $1K-$4K (depending on condition) outnumber the amount of existing copies. Do I think it will be a $10K book someday? Probably not, but unless an actual financial depression hits the country, this book won't drop in value. Ever.

+1

Nailed it!

-J.

+1

Nailed it!

-J.

The fact that not one, but THREE people think that a statement like "unless an actual financial depression hits the country, this book won't drop in value. Ever" is a reasonable statement to make is rather unnerving.

It really reveals a lot.

Those who understand, beware...be very, very wary.

I think you can't straight up compare, but this being a $350 book at some point if the market tanks, hardly inconceivable, particularly if someone at marvel or whatever magically finds 25 copies tucked away in their files...

I have a dumb question, with everything digital, how hard is it for someone at the printers who print these comics to run off 50 copies of this after hours? How would CGC know the difference on a modern? Wouldn't this cover and issue be on some file? Do they actually use plates anymore?

:troll:

-J.

Please do not feed those irrationally pumping the value of manufactured rarities, claiming they can't ever go down in price.

:facepalm:

:roflmao:

Still futilely grinding that axe are we?

In yet another book's (that you do not own) appreciation thread. :eyeroll:

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

-J.

Please do not feed those irrationally pumping the value of manufactured rarities, claiming they can't ever go down in price.

-J.

I own a copy of this book. And I 100% agree with what RMA posted. And I also think the book is over-valued right now. So now what?

-J.

What axe would that be? Encouraging people to think carefully before they spend their money? To make sure they know the risks involved before doing so?

That axe?

-J.

Why do you think you get to make things up about people with impunity? How do you know what I do, and do not, own? What is it in your mental and emotional makeup that tells you it's ok to just invent things about people, things you cannot possibly know on your own, and state them as if they are facts?

Would it be ok to invent things about you, and state them without equivocation...? Why, or why not?

I own a copy of this book. And I 100% agree with what RMA posted. And I also think the book is over-valued right now. So now what?

Are you irate?

asm678variant32516.jpg

It sounds like the best time to sell your copy then. And it is a gem of a copy too, btw. You should get some good coin for that issue right now, before the bottom falls out.

Jerome

What if I...er, I mean, HE...has no interest in selling my...er, HIS...copy?

What if he didn't buy it to "invest"?

I have lots of books where I watched the market come AND go on them....and I didn't do anything with them, because I collected them, and had no interest in selling them.

Does being a collector mean one can't therefore understand the realities of the market?

Are you irate?

asm678variant32516.jpg

It sounds like the best time to sell your copy then. And it is a gem of a copy too, btw. You should get some good coin for that issue right now, before the bottom falls out.

Jerome

I have lots of books where I watched the market come AND go on them....and I didn't do anything with them, because I collected them, and had no interest in selling them.

Does being a collector mean one can't therefore understand the realities of the market?

Not at all, collectors are part of the market and help contribute to lowering the supply of some books like this one. If he's got a full run (or even near full run) of ASM...Big congrats, that ain't easy! Hopefully he got his copy a while ago.

Jerome

Are you irate?

asm678variant32516.jpg

Jerome

Not at all, collectors are part of the market and help contribute to lowering the supply of some books like this one. If he's got a full run (or even near full run) of ASM...Big congrats, that ain't easy! Hopefully he got his copy a while ago.

Jerome

Deja vu all over again:

when a 9.8 was selling for only $1000

There should be a statute of limitation on "wrong" and a limit on how many times the same person can say the same thing over and over and over and over and over.......

again.

-J.

Are you irate?

asm678variant32516.jpg

Jerome

Jerome

Deja vu all over again:

when a 9.8 was selling for only $1000

There should be a statute of limitation on "wrong" and a limit on how many times the same person can say the same thing over and over and over and over and over.......

again.

-J.

You mean like accusing people of being shills for each other?

Are you irate?

asm678variant32516.jpg

Jerome

Jerome

So why did you tell him now would be the best time to sell his copy, as if thinking it's over-valued means he only cares about what it's worth? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't the best time...but what bearing does that have on his statement?

And why do you agree that this book won't "drop in value. Ever."...?

You say "collectors are part of the market"...what part?

I sure do, IIRC all comic books dropped in value. So it's not like those 'safe' SA books didn't drop in value. Point is, imo, MA run the same risk of crashing like every other book no matter the age.

Jerome

not really, but ok

And this is totally accurate: Not really. These modern age books are like the junk bonds of the 80's...extremely high risk. People, even after the crash, still wanted FF #1. Nobody wanted, after the crash, Unity #0 Red. And there are more FF #1s in existence than Unity #0 Reds.

(And I suspect the people still looking for that book...myself included...perhaps numbered fewer than 100 nationwide.)

Take it to another thread bud. (thumbs u

-J.

Mind your own business bud. (thumbs u

-R.

Oh no you dint! :o

+1

Nailed it!

-J.

The fact that not one, but THREE people think that a statement like "unless an actual financial depression hits the country, this book won't drop in value. Ever" is a reasonable statement to make is rather unnerving.

It really reveals a lot.

How can someone say that, and with such certainty, that this book won't drop in value? Ever? lol

Kids.... :facepalm:

+1

Nailed it!

-J.

It really reveals a lot.

How can someone say that, and with such certainty, that this book won't drop in value? Ever? lol

Kids people trying to protect their investment and/or sell something.... :facepalm:

:D

+1

Nailed it!

-J.

It really reveals a lot.

Kids.... :facepalm:

Very simple, for the same reason that no matter how much damage Jerry Only has done to The Misfits legacy over the last 20 years, the prices of original Misfits vinyl continue to rise.

Demand > supply

To reply to RMA's hissyfit, I don't know how many copies of ASM 678 are out there, you sure as Hell don't, but more people want it than there are copies that exist, than there are copies for sale, than there are copies in 9.8. I'll pass a polygraph on that one

I've fed the troll, it's time to feed my cats

Out