• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

It's "amazing" how some of the comments early in this thread mimic the early comments in the Bats 608RRP thread. And how equally wrong they were too. lol

-J.

Not really, as this demand for variants marked an unforseen shift in the hobby. On the other hand your prognostication for Harley Quinn and BA 12 was most definitely lol

Hi RMA. :hi:

-J.

I sort of thought all the store and convention exclusives were a result of the "bigger talent" wanting a larger slice of the pie & printing up issues under their brand when they doodle their cartoons (JSC) or, in the case of Stan, sign their name.

+1

Basically.

This may represent another shift in the variant market. I am personally not a fan of convention/store or brand exclusives so hopefully it isn't a lasting trend.

-J.

Yes, Marvel isn't doing 1:50's anymore. They've moved onto 1:1000's or even higher.

That's one book this year (Venom 1).

Check dealer order sheets- mostly 1:10's, 15's, maybe a few 25's. Almost no 50's or higher.

The incentives are more based on past order thresholds with dealers being able to order however many variants they want. 2014 was basically the last year of the higher ratio variants being offered more regularly. Evidently Marvel doesn't want to spring for the talent to do those covers anymore, hence why the bigger names are doing more and more store exclusives. It might explain why so many high ratio variants from this era (2009-2014) have taken off.

Had a nice talk with a high volume LCS owner about it recently. Interesting stuff.

-J.

Wasn't there a C-3PO Special #1 that was a 1:1000? The "red arm" variant?

Yes, Marvel isn't doing 1:50's anymore. They've moved onto 1:1000's or even higher.

That's one book this year (Venom 1).

Check dealer order sheets- mostly 1:10's, 15's, maybe a few 25's. Almost no 50's or higher.

The incentives are more based on past order thresholds with dealers being able to order however many variants they want. 2014 was basically the last year of the higher ratio variants being offered more regularly. Evidently Marvel doesn't want to spring for the talent to do those covers anymore, hence why the bigger names are doing more and more store exclusives. It might explain why so many high ratio variants from this era (2009-2014) have taken off.

Had a nice talk with a high volume LCS owner about it recently. Interesting stuff.

-J.

Wasn't there a C-3PO Special #1 that was a 1:1000? The "red arm" variant?

Yep, Link.

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

It's "amazing" how some of the comments early in this thread mimic the early comments in the Bats 608RRP thread. And how equally wrong they were too. lol

-J.

Not really, as this demand for variants marked an unforseen shift in the hobby. On the other hand your prognostication for Harley Quinn and BA 12 was most definitely lol

Hi RMA. :hi:

-J.

only the Federal Reserve can out do the pump power of these boards

No one is forcing you (or anyone else) to read, post, or buy. :gossip: When you enter a thread about a specific book, people will probably be taking about it. :o

Back on point, slabs of the Mexican reprint are starting to hit and are going for decent amounts themselves:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDERMAN-1-Joe-Quinones-La-Mole-MARY-JANE-VENOM-678-CGC-9-6-/252599592198?hash=item3ad01be506:g:7jwAAOSwal5YC9II

-J.

Crazy value for this book. 7500 asking price for a 9.8...forget amazing fantasy 15 I should of got the comic where maryjane gets a symbiote.

The most distressing thing about this thread is that any real attempt to apply consistent logic to some of these variants that actually do sell for large sums is a migraine inducing experience.

Crazy value for this book. 7500 asking price for a 9.8...forget amazing fantasy 15 I should of got the comic where maryjane gets a symbiote.

The most distressing thing about this thread is that any real attempt to apply consistent logic to some of these variants that actually do sell for large sums is a migraine inducing experience.

True story, each one seems to have different reasons for their success. I'll fully admit, it doesn't always seem logical!

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

True story, each one seems to have different reasons for their success. I'll fully admit, it doesn't always seem logical!

Jerome

I think the thread would get less grief if the question was:

"is this real?"

"is this legitimate?"

"is this sustainable?"

etc.

It very well may be all those things, but its thought police on anyone question the narrative.

The book has traded privately in 9.8 between $3100 and $4000 all year. So $7500 is obviously a reach (though it still looks to be amassing its fair share of views and watchers even at that price).

-J.

Views and watches are because of the price. Far more likely than actual consideration.

The book has traded privately in 9.8 between $3100 and $4000 all year. So $7500 is obviously a reach (though it still looks to be amassing its fair share of views and watchers even at that price).

-J.

What grade of AF15 is worth less than this book in 9.8?

What grade of IH1 is worth less than this book in 9.8?

Nothing can climb forever, eventually it has to take up a long term position relative to other keys.

That long term position is either below current, at current, or above current.

These are the realities of all commodities including collectibles. No item (or book) exists in a vacuum unaffected by other books.

-J.

Views and watches are because of the price. Far more likely than actual consideration.

.. or because it's the first 9.8 offered for sale in months at any price. (shrug)

-J.

-J.

.. or because it's the first 9.8 offered for sale in months. (shrug)

-J.

hm

Yeah, I'm going to go with my first assumption. If someone buys it for that price they should have their head examined. This isn't a 'your collectibles suck' statement, just a rationale one.

-J.

-J.

hm

Yeah, I'm going to go with my first assumption. If someone buys it for that price they should have their head examined. This isn't a 'your collectibles suck' statement, just a rationale one.

Until it catches MileHigh Action #1, it wont be too high to get attacked in this thread for questioning a valuation.

-J.

-J.

hm

Great so we can cross you off the "potential buyers" list.

Nothing more for you to see here then. (thumbs u

-J.