• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

I'm shocked how much this book has went up. I sold my 9.8 SS signed 5x for $1800 about 4 years ago....and that was a huge sum for that book then. Maybe should've kept it....lol.

Still not a bad price though man.Who knows what a 5 x SS commands in today's market?

I only paid $200 for it raw...all in with sigs I was about $400 or so invested so I made out at the time. Not that sorry, but was a great book at the time...just not a lot of attention like now.

$200 all in with five sigs?!!?? That means no Stan so I guess the other sigs were cover artist, interior artist, Slott, jaydog & lethal collector?

:D

lol

I didn't even charge him for the sig!

Jerome

lol don't you and Jay only collect blue labels?

For the most part. I was on the SS hype train up to about 2012 when I realized A) there will only be more SS's on more books so the rarity isn't there with so many artists/writers/celebs going to cons and B) not everyone wants to pay for the SS price.

Jerome

This high concept art and eye popping prices realized for this book has raised the profile of all of the other "Venom Variants" that were released that month at this point. The fact that they were all 1:50's (something Marvel is not doing many of these days) makes them all pretty rare. This is still the original and still the best by a country mile. As evidenced by a couple of notable CGC sales over the last couple of weeks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-678-Venom-Mary-Variant-CGC-9-0-Autograph-Signed-Stan-Lee-/112186647357?hash=item1a1ed8633d:g:ebYAAOSwo4pYFRMR

And Greg Reece Comics sold a 9.6 direct from his site for $1900 (now on GPA).

As cool as some of the other Venom covers from the month are, the darkly satiric sight of an unseen Peter Parker being confronted by a Venom-izing Mary Jane in mid-possession is just beyond compare. :cloud9:

-J.

Yes, Marvel isn't doing 1:50's anymore. They've moved onto 1:1000's or even higher.

Those should definitely be worth 20 times the 1:50s, so the $1,900 price for a 1:50 would be $38,000 for the 1:1000.

Seems about right, given that thousands of dollars are already being spent on 1:50 variants.

It should be tens-of-thousands of dollars for 1:500 and higher. lol

Yes, Marvel isn't doing 1:50's anymore. They've moved onto 1:1000's or even higher.

That's one book this year (Venom 1).

Check dealer order sheets- mostly 1:10's, 15's, maybe a few 25's. Almost no 50's or higher.

The incentives are more based on past order thresholds with dealers being able to order however many variants they want. 2014 was basically the last year of the higher ratio variants being offered more regularly. Evidently Marvel doesn't want to spring for the talent to do those covers anymore, hence why the bigger names are doing more and more store exclusives. It might explain why so many high ratio variants from this era (2009-2014) have taken off.

Had a nice talk with a high volume LCS owner about it recently. Interesting stuff.

-J.

Those should definitely be worth 20 times the 1:50s, so the $1,900 price for a 1:50 would be $38,000 for the 1:1000.

Seems about right, given that thousands of dollars are already being spent on 1:50 variants.

It should be tens-of-thousands of dollars for 1:500 and higher. lol

They would be if any of them had good art. They have all been complete garbage. Put out a JSC 1:1000 and see what the return is. hm

On second thought, no, don't do that.

The point was that Marvel is still putting out lots of incentive variants. Some advertised, others based on previous order levels.

Check dealer order sheets- mostly 1:10's, 15's, maybe a few 25's. Almost no 50's or higher.

The incentives are more based on past order thresholds with dealers being able to order however many variants they want. 2014 was basically the last year of the higher ratio variants being offered. Evidently Marvel doesn't want to spring for the talent to do those covers anymore, hence why the bigger names are doing more and more store exclusives.

Had a nice talk with an LCS about it recently. Interesting stuff.

-J.

One book, huh?

Star Wars: C-3PO "red arm variant".

Champions #1 just came out at 328k distribution. That 1:1000 isn't looking that "rare" anymore.

How about the Deadpool Back in Black 1:50 and 1:100's in the last month?

Edited by ygogolak

The incentives are more based on past order thresholds with dealers being able to order however many variants they want. 2014 was basically the last year of the higher ratio variants being offered. Evidently Marvel doesn't want to spring for the talent to do those covers anymore, hence why the bigger names are doing more and more store exclusives.

-J.

One book, huh?

Champions #1 just came out at 328k distribution. That 1:1000 isn't looking that "rare" anymore.

Uh-huh. That's three books. All #1's.

Either you're missing the point or you are ignoring it.

I didn't say Marvel isn't releasing any.

I said they have scaled it way back, and incentives are based more on past orders now than before and lower ratios.

Either prove me wrong or say I'm lying, but don't split hairs, if you know what I am reporting is essentially true. Find better things to do with your time.

-J.

-J.

One book, huh?

I said they have scaled it way back, and incentives are based more on past orders now than before and lower ratios.

Either prove me wrong or say I'm lying, but don't split hairs, if you know what I am reporting is essentially true. Find better things to do with your time.

-J.

Yes, but you stated it was one book. I did just prove you wrong, did I not? (shrug)

-J.

One book, huh?

-J.

Yes, but you stated it was one book. I did just prove you wrong, did I not? (shrug)

lol No, you split hairs.

-J.

I sort of thought all the store and convention exclusives were a result of the "bigger talent" wanting a larger slice of the pie & printing up issues under their brand when they doodle their cartoons (JSC) or, in the case of Stan, sign their name.

It's "amazing" how some of the comments early in this thread mimic the early comments in the Bats 608RRP thread. And how equally wrong they were too. lol

-J.

Not really, as this demand for variants marked an unforseen shift in the hobby. On the other hand your prognostication for Harley Quinn and BA 12 was most definitely lol