• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

Just read this whole thread for the first time. Congrats to those individuals who held on to their 9.8's despite the cry from many Boardies to sell at the then 'ridiculous' prices. Unaware of this book until recently, I have to admit it's a great cover. I am a fan !

Just read this whole thread for the first time. Congrats to those individuals who held on to their 9.8's despite the cry from many Boardies to sell at the then 'ridiculous' prices. Unaware of this book until recently, I have to admit it's a great cover. I am a fan !

lol One of the perks to being paralyzed with fear about ever selling anything.

-J.

Thanks! I dunno, I submitted a vampirella 113 that came back 9.4... With a previously unnoticed indent on the spine... I'm going to have to better document books for myself and compare then when they get back... I love CGC... I'll see how my next sub goes... Quick story on this variant...

When I lived in Las Vegas a few years back when this first came out I bought a CGC 9.6 SS when I started to get back Into collecting for maybe 400... Then I had to sell it the following year and the original owner bought it back(for 700 Which he subquentially ended up selling a year after and recently for 960 or so...) this is my second copy! There's some quality sellers on ebay that end up selling there books every so often I've just been fortunate guessing a book is high grade off of a few pictures and seller testimony...

Edited by Snikt!1988

Venom's double-FUPA bugs the hell out of me.

+1 (Never +1'd a comment from 2 yrs ago).

I never subscribe to the "what I collect is awesome and what you collect sucks", so I'll leave my opinions to myself in regards to this particular cover.

Venom's double-FUPA bugs the hell out of me.

+1 (Never +1'd a comment from 2 yrs ago).

I never subscribe to the "what I collect is awesome and what you collect sucks", so I'll leave my opinions to myself in regards to this particular cover.

I agree with this. Especially in what is basically an "appreciation" thread. I mean come on people should show a little class. You don't like it, don't buy it (assuming you could even find one). But why waste time trying to convince people who are posting in a thread dedicated to it why "they" shouldn't like it? The near 15000 views this thread has puts you in the minority anyway.

That, and the market at large has decided how awesome the cover actually is as well and driven the price on what few copies are out there through the roof. :acclaim:

-J.

Thanks! I dunno, I submitted a vampirella 113 that came back 9.4... With a previously unnoticed indent on the spine... I'm going to have to better document books for myself and compare then when they get back... I love CGC... I'll see how my next sub goes... Quick story on this variant...

When I lived in Las Vegas a few years back when this first came out I bought a CGC 9.6 SS when I started to get back Into collecting for maybe 400... Then I had to sell it the following year and the original owner bought it back(for 700 Which he subquentially ended up selling a year after and recently for 960 or so...) this is my second copy! There's some quality sellers on ebay that end up selling there books every so often I've just been fortunate guessing a book is high grade off of a few pictures and seller testimony...

Cool story snikt. Hard to believe raw copies go for $200 more than what you paid for a 9.6 SS just a couple years ago. :ohnoez: Something about these mash up covers, when done right, can really click. Are there really only 4 boardies with copies?

-J.

Art work aside, this is a phenomenon. The value of this book is mostly due to a story with no significance, with a random variant (1:10 I think) that not many places ordered. Those that ordered treated the book like . The cover is cool , albeit not awesome artwork. Comic prices work in mysterious ways. I'm lucky to be holding one.

It was actually a 1:50, and was released when ASM sales were barely making the top 20. Some have estimated the print run as high as 800, but from what I've seen on the market (and census) and relative to other 1:50's, I would put the distribution closer to about half that. People can think whatever they like about the artwork, I find it to be better than most of what I see today that isn't by a Campbell, Granov, or Dell'Otto, and it is a wicked homage that immediately catches the eye and became an instant classic.

-J.

Instant Classic? I wouldn't go that far, there is something disturbing about her stomach. If it was the regular cover version would it still be an instant classic or just another $5 book?

lol There's something disturbing about the whole cover. The entire concept of the alien symbiote caught in the midst of consuming Mary Jane is disturbing. Even more so if you're readily familiar with the original panel the cover is referencing. Obviously it's extreme rarity plays a large part in its FMV, but there are certainly tons of other rare variants out there that aren't even worth cover price. So the cover obviously resonates on more than one level. (thumbs u

-J.