• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Collapse of the Original Comic Art Market

246 posts in this topic

I hear the biggest crash in the original comic art market has already happened.

Pieces attributed to Steranko and Kirby carrying price tags of upwards of $10,000 or more have crashed through the floorboards when it was discovered they were actually Buckler and Royer, despite the assertions of the, obviously self-interested, seller.

The losses are staggering, but at least they weren't losses to innocent collectors.

Some say the Original Comic Art Market has peaked, and is poised to crash. What will this mean for thousands of original art collectors who have just purchased items for investment only? And what role has the site ComicArtFans played in the market's downfall, (if any)?

Seriously, dude. No one is buying it. Perhaps there is a middle school's Website out there populated with fans of original comic art you might be able to join?

Regrettably the signs of a Crash are showing and have been for some time.

Interesting statement.

Would be far more interesting if you could talk about what signs you are referring to...

No one's willing to buy Buckler lightbox pieces that are being passed off as Steranko originals, perhaps? (shrug)

Or maybe it's no one wants to buy Royer lightbox pieces that are being passed off as Kirby originals. hm

Anything is possible.

Interesting statement.

Would be far more interesting if you could talk about what signs you are referring to...

No one's willing to buy Buckler lightbox pieces that are being passed off as Steranko originals, perhaps? (shrug)

Or maybe it's no one wants to buy Royer lightbox pieces that are being passed off as Kirby originals. hm

Anything is possible.

If not wanting to buy a fake is a sign of a failing market, then EVERY market in the world is failing.

Good question sir, my extensive dealings with non-on-line auction houses has directed me to this issue, some now refuse to except auctions for Original Comic Art as the reserve is most times unrealistic and items are more often than not turned in (waste of time),

The Comic art market is somewhat unique in that most people who have original art know what they have, and bought it, collect it, and keep aware of the market at some level. Its not the same as some guy hearing that an Action Comics #1, he remembers he had some comics in a drawer from when he was a kid, takes them down to the local pawn shop and asks for thousands of dollars for his beat up Action Comics from the 80s. (Yes I'll agree there are some one-off scenarios where "great uncle Abner used to draw comics and when he died we found all these pages when cleaning out his house" and the family comes in to an auction house to sell them and doesnt understand their relative value, but that's the exception). I would actually believe that it's more likely the auction house doesnt know the value, and as a result doesnt want to take a perceived risk for something they dont want to do the legwork to understand the value of.

I followed this up with not just ebay results but the examination of Comic Art that had still been listed for over one year,

Lots of art gets listed on ebay with high prices essentially when collectors intend to keep a piece unless an amazing offer comes in (via an acceptance of a high BIN/auction price). You see the same thing with high grade comics.

I will contend that there is more original art being created every month, and its probably more than the marketplace is interested in consuming. Between all the cons, the online sales forums (ebay, dealer sites, CAF, etc) its easier than ever to buy a page if you want to....but offsetting that in part is that some art now only exists digitally, so those pages cant be bought.... The good pages, the desirable pages, key, splash etc typically get bought in relative short order...

Interesting statement.

Anything is possible.

If not wanting to buy a fake is a sign of a failing market, then EVERY market in the world is failing.

Just an excuse to post this clip.

Who knew that Red Skull was talking about the Comic Art Market? lol

Interesting statement.

Anything is possible.

So... (the late) Mr. Rae is trying to restock?

Call me maybe....

Has this ever been done in this forum?

I love this song. Just to keep it comic related Wizard World made this in Chicago this year.

:cloud9:

I think the "A" in Captain Australia stands for something else.

hehehee... my 2 year old daughter is asking me "Why are you laughing?"

followed by "Can we have spiderman now? I really want spiderman."

Yes it is a scary subject for many, mostly members of the site ComicArtFans who make a sizable living out of buying and selling Original Comic Art, I’m sure that they would prefer that no one mention or talk about the reality of the Markets situation, if no one says anything it might not happen, this is of cause very narrow minded thinking and unhelpful.

When bringing this subject up with assorted members of caf your mostly met with ridicule, name calling, basic Troll treatment, make no mistake many of the caf members (not all) are not the cuddly, kind people they make themselves out to be (in the beginning), over the years many of them are responsible for pushing up the price of Original Comic Art to extreme levels for their own financial gain and the caf site is the perfect tool to catch new, young art fans.

And what will become of all the art purchased “as an investment” once the crash hits and it will hit and hit hard, how many victims will their be ?

If you own any Original Comic Art that you purchased simply as an investment for later NOW IS THE TIME TO SELL, and whatever you do don’t buy more.

However if you purchased Original Comic Art for your own enjoyment that’s ok, just don’t expect to pay off the house if down the track you want to bring in a fast buck by selling your Original Art collection.