• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever cracked a PGX slab and submitted to CGC? *EDIT* experiment results

89 posts in this topic

Cracked 2 PGX books to have signatures added. One went from 5.5 to 3.5 and the other from 3.0 to 2.0.

Here's the latest data point.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5973960#Post5973960

PGX Grade: 9.2

Cracked, signed and submitted to CGC.

CGC Grade: 9.6

So the data swings both ways. Very difficult to draw conclusions.

I think it depends on how recent the PGX books were graded. I don't know from experience but from what i've read here that older PGX books have better chances at an upgrade with CGC. Newer PGX graded books is a total gamble and not a smart choice.

what's funny is (with my limited data) i've heard more upgrade stories from PGX-->CGC than downgrades.....

It is funny. Given their atrocious reputation most people avoid them like the plague, but from the limited sample here, they seem to be doing a decent job. Or, maybe, were doing a decent job, given some of the stuff that people say has gone on in recent years.

Someone can maybe find the link who has more time to look, not sure if it was a hoax. but I remember a YouTube video of someone who submitted a TMNT #1 to PGX and was going to submit to CGC just to see the difference. The book he got back when he cracked the PGX was not the first print of the book he had sent in.

Not a hoax exactly. The consensus now seems to be that the person that made the video knew they had sent in a third print to PGX. When it came back labeled a first print they dd a video of cracking it open and found the book to indeed be the third print. Used the video to get a settlement from PGX. In the video which is still on YouTube there is no proof offered that the book was originally a first print. No video of the book going to PGX. They just break open PGX slab labeled a first print and discover a third print.

Regardless of what really happened with this one book, it revealed a real problem with PGX in that at least one employee - the restoration check person - was allowed at times to "work from home" taking books with him. Obviously a dumb idea.

I don't believe PGX allows this anymore. But there is still the issue that employees are allowed to sell PGX graded books.

I have watched the video myself, but am otherwise summarizing what I've read here from others.

what's funny is (with my limited data) i've heard more upgrade stories from PGX-->CGC than downgrades.....

It is funny. Given their atrocious reputation most people avoid them like the plague, but from the limited sample here, they seem to be doing a decent job. Or, maybe, were doing a decent job, given some of the stuff that people say has gone on in recent years.

The point is that their grading is all over the place and inconsistent. It doesn't matter that they under grade in some cases because they overgrade in some too. Detecting restoration is a huge problem with them also.

Cracked a G.I. Joe #11. PGX graded 9..2

Got Larry Hama to sign it in Baltimore. Submitted to CGC for Signature Series.

CGC graded it a 9.6.

Pictures are in the "can you spare a grade" forum.

Did the same for a 9.2 graded G.I. Joe 22. Came back from CGC as a 9.0.

Ryan

Is there any hard evidence that PGX is missing restoration work? I've heard rumors of people buying books that are PGX'd and submitting them to CGC to have them kicked back in purple, but I've never seen it.

What I have seen is people like the Ryanmadam who say they got higher grades from CGC than PGX. It makes you wonder...