• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics General's Movie Subforum

619 posts in this topic

Ahhh good. I like Ben Kingsley, he looks much more imposing from the front.

I find him an odd choice for Mandarin, but he's such a great actor I'm sure he'll make it work.

I thought the Mandarin was supposed to be Asian? (shrug)

Kingsley was an amazing Gandhi, so I have no doubt he'll pull it off.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a terrific actor. I'm just not a fan of color blind casting.

No way he is 5' 8", maybe with lifts.

I'll confirm, but I was told he is as tall as me and ain't no way I'm 5' 8".

I think you're right, he doesn't seem 5'8".

IMBD has him even taller. LINK

Actors have been known to lie about their age, height, etc. :)

I find him an odd choice for Mandarin, but he's such a great actor I'm sure he'll make it work.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a terrific actor. I'm just not a fan of color blind casting.

#4 in the link.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20082_6-insane-stereotypes-that-movies-cant-seem-to-get-over.html

#4 in the link.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20082_6-insane-stereotypes-that-movies-cant-seem-to-get-over.html

Yeah, there's far too much of that.

It's the modern equivalent of going in blackface.

Did anyone ever ask them (producers/writers/directors) why they chose him for the Mandarin?

Did anyone ever ask them (producers/writers/directors) why they chose him for the Mandarin?

Not specifically.

But Kevin Feige, (President of Marvel Studios) had this to say; essentially downplaying the ethnic background angle.

Kingsley is not, of course, Chinese, but Feige says they wanted to blur the background of this version of The Mandarin. “It’s less about his specific ethnicity than the symbolism of various cultures and iconography that he perverts for his own end,” Feige says. From his samurai hair, to his royal robe, to his bin Laden-esque beard, and the AK-47 he keeps at his side, Kingsley’s interpretation is a hodgepodge of various warrior motifs.

They are obviously portraying more of a terrorist, instead of the Mandarin we grew to know from the comic books.

Not specifically.

But Kevin Feige, (President of Marvel Studios) had this to say; essentially downplaying the ethnic background angle.

Kingsley is not, of course, Chinese, but Feige says they wanted to blur the background of this version of The Mandarin. “It’s less about his specific ethnicity than the symbolism of various cultures and iconography that he perverts for his own end,” Feige says. From his samurai hair, to his royal robe, to his bin Laden-esque beard, and the AK-47 he keeps at his side, Kingsley’s interpretation is a hodgepodge of various warrior motifs.

They are obviously portraying more of a terrorist, instead of the Mandarin we grew to know from the comic books.

Just read that on ET. Sounds a lot like diarrhea of the mouth, and a lot like politically correct garbage to keep people from thinking we're casting the Chinese people as the bad guys. I guess this is what we get in a society where we have to obsess about not offending people's sensibilities and not being able to call women "broads" anymore.

Gweneth is hot, thou not well liked by the women on the set.

This sentence contains redundancies.

And some Thor-speak.

And some M. Buber.

lol lol lol

Jewish mysticism!

And some Thor-speak.

And some M. Buber.

:golfclap:

And some Thor-speak.

And some M. Buber.

lol lol lol

Jewish mysticism!

I and Thou. :)

That's all he wrote. Done.

I've missed you guys; I've popped in long enough today to see you frolicking like the symbolically relational otters that you are and I have been both saddened and joyous at the thought.

And some Thor-speak.

And some M. Buber.

lol lol lol

Jewish mysticism!

He should have written about Golems.

And some Thor-speak.

And some M. Buber.

lol lol lol

Jewish mysticism!

Damn internet. I was quite proud of my critique of internicene feminine squabbling and you guys miss the lead and note the index.

I've missed you guys; I've popped in long enough today to see you frolicking like the symbolically relational otters that you are and I have been both saddened and joyous at the thought.

You're just trying to get a hug aren't you? :D