• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest Golden Age Books

441 posts in this topic

I wonder what the top 5 rarest DC superhero books are. hm

I know I would put Adventure #46 in the top 5

Good question. I remember that, back in the day, Adventure 73 (first Kirby DC cover) was thought to be tough. Some of the More Funs, which was a title with a lower print run, might also be contenders. They are all significantly more common than the pre-hero books.

I would say that no superhero DC book is truly rare in the traditional sense of the word. The rarest would probably be Tec 33, 35, and More Fun 52-54. It is really difficult to say, though, because I am sure they are just locked up in peoples private collections. I have the same theory about pre-hero tecs and adventures. There aren't alot of them out there because people don't let them go. Of course, this theory excludes New Adventure 26-27, and a few of the early Tecs.

Looking at the census numbers, Tec #28, #30, #32 and #37 seem harder to find than #33 or #35.

Detective Comics #27 - 39 copies graded: 18 unrestored, 21 restored (6 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #28 - 14 copies graded: 5 unrestored, 9 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #29 - 26 copies graded: 12 unrestored, 14 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #30 - 20 copies graded: 10 unrestored, 10 restored (4 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #31 - 39 copies graded: 21 unrestored, 18 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #32 - 21 copies graded: 15 unrestored, 1 qualified, 5 restored (2 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #33 - 44 copies graded: 20 unrestored, 24 restored (4 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #34 - 29 copies graded: 16 unrestored, 13 restored (4 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #35 - 23 copies graded: 9 unrestored, 2 qualified, 12 restored (1 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #36 - 29 copies graded: 10 unrestored, 19 restored (4 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #37 - 21 copies graded: 15 unrestored, 6 restored (5 in 6.0 or

better)

Detective Comics #38 - 51 copies graded: 26 unrestored, 25 restored (8 in 6.0 or better)

Good question. I remember that, back in the day, Adventure 73 (first Kirby DC cover) was thought to be tough. Some of the More Funs, which was a title with a lower print run, might also be contenders. They are all significantly more common than the pre-hero books.

I would say that no superhero DC book is truly rare in the traditional sense of the word. The rarest would probably be Tec 33, 35, and More Fun 52-54. It is really difficult to say, though, because I am sure they are just locked up in peoples private collections. I have the same theory about pre-hero tecs and adventures. There aren't alot of them out there because people don't let them go. Of course, this theory excludes New Adventure 26-27, and a few of the early Tecs.

Looking at the census numbers, Tec #28, #30, #32 and #37 seem harder to find than #33 or #35.

Detective Comics #27 - 39 copies graded: 18 unrestored, 21 restored (6 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #28 - 14 copies graded: 5 unrestored, 9 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #29 - 26 copies graded: 12 unrestored, 14 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #30 - 20 copies graded: 10 unrestored, 10 restored (4 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #31 - 39 copies graded: 21 unrestored, 18 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #32 - 21 copies graded: 15 unrestored, 1 qualified, 5 restored (2 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #33 - 44 copies graded: 20 unrestored, 24 restored (4 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #34 - 29 copies graded: 16 unrestored, 13 restored (4 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #35 - 23 copies graded: 9 unrestored, 2 qualified, 12 restored (1 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #36 - 29 copies graded: 10 unrestored, 19 restored (4 in 6.0 or better)

better)

Detective Comics #38 - 51 copies graded: 26 unrestored, 25 restored (8 in 6.0 or better)

that is actually very misleading...there are just as many if not more copies of 30, 32, etc available.... just that those non bat covers are not in as much demand, and hence, don't get slabbed as much for sale (IMO)... 28, is a whole diff story...it is just plain rare!

I'd like to clarify that what I mean by rare is two-fold. Rare also has to do with individuals who have absolutely no intention of selling their books, and, as such, these books would never see the market. As I said, I don't think that any superhero DC book is truly rare.

better)

that is actually very misleading...there are just as many if not more copies of 30, 32, etc available.... just that those non bat covers are not in as much demand, and hence, don't get slabbed as much for sale (IMO)... 28, is a whole diff story...it is just plain rare!

Interesting point, Rick. So, in your opinion, which books are the hardest to find after #28?

If I were to continue building a run right now, these would be the books I would focus on first.

in my recent experience , pre robin to 38 tecs go like this (keep in mind, this is "any" copy, low grade, high grade, unrestored, restored, etc...no consideration, just "a" copy):

but it can change in an instant!

in my recent experience , pre robin to 38 tecs go like this (keep in mind, this is "any" copy, low grade, high grade, unrestored, restored, etc...no consideration, just "a" copy):

Is #37 another non-Batman cover?

Agreed (thumbs u

no - last non-batman was #34:

P1010149.jpg

no - last non-batman was #34:

P1010149.jpg

(worship) Nice set of books!

Is your #28 unrestored?

I'm not sold that Adventure #73 is really an rarer than 72 or 74, but I can tell you it is rare to find a buyer!

I have owned three copies of that book and it was tough to move all three.

I'm not sold that Adventure #73 is really an rarer than 72 or 74, but I can tell you it is rare to find a buyer!

Bill, I was wondering, no one has mentioned Famous Funnies here, and I remember you had that great run on that title. What are your thoughts on the toughest books on that title (If you can share???). hm

I think a few of those are extremely rare also. I don't think it's because the demand for this title is low either, but I'd love to here your opinion on them. I'd like a couple of copies that I never seem to find anywhere.

Bill, I was wondering, no one has mentioned Famous Funnies here, and I remember you had that great run on that title. What are your thoughts on the toughest books on that title (If you can share???). hm

I think a few of those are extremely rare also. I don't think it's because the demand for this title is low either, but I'd love to here your opinion on them. I'd like a couple of copies that I never seem to find anywhere.

Of the first 10, I would see #3 much more often than any of the others. It has the Buck Rogers thing going for it so that probably brings them out.

The rest are very tough. 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 and 10 are very hard to find. I gave up on them, and consequently the run.

11 - 50 are attainable and affordable. The 35 was the last of that part of the run for me to find.

Thanks for your response!!!

I agree with that, and since I haven't seen them either (never even seen them posted here on the boards), I wonder who has copies of these books!!!

I'm starting to feel the same way about these Star Ranger books since it is SO HARD to find the copies I need (Although it should be easier being it's only 12 issues), but I've hit a brick wall!!!

That Famous Funnies must have been a tough undertaking!!!!

Thanks for your response!!!

I agree with that, and since I haven't seen them either (never even seen them posted here on the boards), I wonder who has copies of these books!!!

I'm starting to feel the same way about these Star Ranger books since it is SO HARD to find the copies I need (Although it should be easier being it's only 12 issues), but I've hit a brick wall!!!

That Famous Funnies must have been a tough undertaking!!!!

Here they be.....i have 1-36 (first three years) and the 'precursor' books....also have all the Star Rangers....jon

63467.jpg.692d3cab7d8b0aeb92b7d6110c1aaa9a.jpg

63468.jpg.70ac40108e0cb36cd7cc2f18e701a5c5.jpg

63469.jpg.cf1cc607f5d9fb2748d8fb94b4a16cfe.jpg

63470.jpg.54c4b60450d3293f3b1eeabad0871e12.jpg

63471.jpg.cde4766058707e07167582dda2d476cc.jpg