• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest Golden Age Books

441 posts in this topic

I'm glad everything worked out as that's a gorgeous copy, giving you a marvelous pair with the #1. (worship)

I recently acquired a book that has been on my want list for over 15 years.
And what a beauty it is. (thumbs u

Famous Comics

Jon (or anybody), maybe you can help out with this issue from another thread.

11121_4_001.jpg

11121_4_002.jpg

11121_4_003.jpg

It looks like two were weekly newspaper inserts (like Spirit sections) with Fox reprints (Blue Beetle, etc.), and the third was a store giveaway with MLJ reprints (Capt. Valor is mentioned in Overstreet).

GCD series information

I wouldn't be surprised if the sparse data in Overstreet came from someone here.

Were there more issues in this series (these two series), as far as you know? Were these prototypes for series that didn't catch on? The logos are almost but not quite the same, suggesting that they came from the same packager regardless of the source of contents. Should they be considered part of the same series? Overstreet lumps them as Weekly Comic Magazine from Fox.

Any information appreciated! Has Bob Beerbohm been heard from lately? Maybe he's off getting his hips fixed?

Jack

I recently acquired a book that has been on my want list for over 15 years. I had a chance to buy the Allentown copy in 1991, but foolishly did not act in time (that copy has since resided in the clutches of Mr. Berk).

Wonder Comics #2 fits this thread because it is the rarest Fox book of all. Much thanks to Bedrock and adamstrange for their indirect assistance in helping me acquire this grail.

Very cool, Peter. It's great when it finally happens, isn't it?!!

I recently acquired a book that has been on my want list for over 15 years. I had a chance to buy the Allentown copy in 1991, but foolishly did not act in time (that copy has since resided in the clutches of Mr. Berk).

Wonder Comics #2 fits this thread because it is the rarest Fox book of all. Much thanks to Bedrock and adamstrange for their indirect assistance in helping me acquire this grail.

Very cool, Peter. It's great when it finally happens, isn't it?!!

It sure is, thanks Gary.

It looks like two were weekly newspaper inserts (like Spirit sections) with Fox reprints (Blue Beetle, etc.), and the third was a store giveaway with MLJ reprints (Capt. Valor is mentioned in Overstreet).

GCD series information

I wouldn't be surprised if the sparse data in Overstreet came from someone here.

Were there more issues in this series (these two series), as far as you know? Were these prototypes for series that didn't catch on? The logos are almost but not quite the same, suggesting that they came from the same packager regardless of the source of contents. Should they be considered part of the same series? Overstreet lumps them as Weekly Comic Magazine from Fox.

I'm curious to know what the posters on this board believe to be the 5 rarest Golden Age books by each publisher. For example, based on my experience, the Gerber Guide and the CGC census, I have concluded that the 5 rarest DC's are:

1. Double Action # 2

2. New Adventure # 13

3. New Adventure # 26

4. New Adventure # 27

5. New Fun Comics # 2

By the way, post them if you've got them.

RHG

Reading Bo Hogg's "rarest comic" thread brought to mind this thread, which was started back on '04. Despite all of the market activity that has occurred since then, including the remarkable availability of uncommon books in Heritage and Clink auctions over the last few years, my list of the rarest 5 DC books has remained largely the same. The only exception would be New Fun Comics #2, which may be replaced by one of the following even tougher books:

New Fun #6

New Comics #2

New Comics #3

Big Book of Fun Comics

What about the rarest books by other publishers like Fox, Centaur, MLJ and Timely? Have the views of forum members changed regarding these publishers?

I'm curious to know what the posters on this board believe to be the 5 rarest Golden Age books by each publisher. For example, based on my experience, the Gerber Guide and the CGC census, I have concluded that the 5 rarest DC's are:

1. Double Action # 2

2. New Adventure # 13

3. New Adventure # 26

4. New Adventure # 27

5. New Fun Comics # 2

RHG

Reading Bo Hogg's "rarest comic" thread brought to mind this thread, which was started back on '04. Despite all of the market activity that has occurred since then, including the remarkable availability of uncommon books in Heritage and Clink auctions over the last few years, my list of the rarest 5 DC books has remained largely the same. The only exception would be New Fun Comics #2, which may be replaced by one of the following even tougher books:

New Fun #6

New Comics #2

New Comics #3

Big Book of Fun Comics

What about the rarest books by other publishers like Fox, Centaur, MLJ and Timely? Have the views of forum members changed regarding these publishers?

I have always thought New Fun 6 was rarer (and certainly more important) than New Fun 2, but I have not followed the "tom-toms" of info since I obtained mine many moons ago, but if anyone knows it is RHG....jb

106970.jpg.274fe2559beb15787774fdc8f6fd5479.jpg

106971.jpg.bb326649e69fe8e37a36480fcad10eec.jpg

106972.jpg.2f84910f4c1652f385185934bcc387d6.jpg

106973.jpg.a7a93fa332c0c7e32187da095338fa1c.jpg

106974.jpg.d639592bc4df194eb2ec8ea95b90c915.jpg

1. Double Action # 2

2. New Adventure # 13

3. New Adventure # 26

4. New Adventure # 27

5. New Fun Comics # 2

RHG

New Fun #6

New Comics #2

New Comics #3

Big Book of Fun Comics

I have always thought New Fun 6 was rarer (and certainly more important) than New Fun 2, but I have not followed the "tom-toms" of info since I obtained mine many moons ago, but if anyone knows it is RHG....jb

Simply amazing Jon. Your New Comics 2 and 3 are the nicest I have ever seen by far (not to mention the others you posted). (worship)

What about the rarest books by other publishers like Fox, Centaur, MLJ and Timely?

Thank You for resurrecting this thread, Peter. (thumbs u

The Centaurs that jump to my mind are:

1) Little Giant Detective Funnies 1/4 (digest sized)

2) Keen Komics 1 (oversized)

3) Little Giant Comics (pick 'em)

4) Little Giant Detective Funnies 1/1 (small sized)

5) Amazing-Man 26

Not to disparage the book, but over the years I've seen more copies of Amazing-Man 5 than all of the five books above combined.

I'd love to hear what Fox and MLJ books that boardies consider rare.

Some pretty darn rare....

New Fun 3:

dcgoldmorefun03aa.jpg

coverless New Fun 5 (anyone have a cover :wishluck: ):

dcgoldmorefun05best.jpg

In an old market report, Heritage said they were looking to find some copies of New Comics 6, but I think a few came to the market afterwards:

DCGOLDAdventure006comiclink.jpg

What about the rarest books by other publishers like Fox, Centaur, MLJ and Timely?

4) Little Giant Detective Funnies 1/1 (small sized) Funny Pages #40 (or others have said Keen Detective Funnies #10). (shrug)

5) Amazing-Man 26

Not to disparage the book, but over the years I've seen more copies of Amazing-Man 5 than all of the five books above combined.

Steve, you have more experience than I with Centaurs and their rarity, but I've made one small change based on my experience. I've seen a number of Little Giant Detective Funnies #1, so not as rare to me as the above. One interesting observation is all the books in list are Centaur, not earlier incarnations of Comics Magazine, Ultem or Chesler - though a couple of the Cheslers are tough.

Don't have an Aman #5, but it will be easier to find than afford! Looking forward to the lists for Fox, MLJ and Timely.

4) Little Giant Detective Funnies 1/1 (small sized) Funny Pages #40 (or others have said Keen Detective Funnies #10). (shrug)

5) Amazing-Man 26

Steve, you have more experience than I with Centaurs and their rarity, but I've made one small change based on my experience. I've seen a number of Little Giant Detective Funnies #1, so not as rare to me as the above. One interesting observation is all the books in list are Centaur, not earlier incarnations of Comics Magazine, Ultem or Chesler - though a couple of the Cheslers are tough.

Don't have an Aman #5, but it will be easier to find than afford! Looking forward to the lists for Fox, MLJ and Timely.

here you go...

107016.jpg.1c4fafe2392481346cf007eaa07cfba1.jpg

107019.jpg.50b35426f3ef77189bfd5e06cfa9086b.jpg

107023.jpg.371abc1af01f1bb2403c089cfef25d3a.jpg

107024.jpg.6602b17289b56eda861c6c4b7261b414.jpg

107025.jpg.5ebd52bc9f8e112c87a8a3534aede461.jpg

5) Amazing-Man 26

On second thought, you very well may be correct.

Yes, I tried to stick with 'true' Centaurs for the list.

Moondog recently had two coverless copies of the same Little Giant, but I can't recall what issue it was.