• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest Golden Age Books

441 posts in this topic

Somebody help me out here!

Right now, GCD is showing the Santa Claus side. Is that the front cover? Seems like it should be with the price and date. If the broken leg side is the front cover, I'll fix it.

Thanks,

Jack

I was just funning.... JB said "back cover..." I did a play on his words to mean that the previous scan was back cover ,and that he was showing the front cover...when, in reality, he was showing the back cover...

however, it would be nice if jon could scan his front cover, to replace the one the gcd has (thumbs u

OK, thanks.

I was going to suggest that same thing -- I bet he already has a scan -- but I just leaned on him to help me ID the Famous Comics by number so I can upload them. Does anyone else (in the world) know which is which?

Jack

Somebody help me out here!

Right now, GCD is showing the Santa Claus side. Is that the front cover? Seems like it should be with the price and date. If the broken leg side is the front cover, I'll fix it.

Thanks,

Jack

I was just funning.... JB said "back cover..." I did a play on his words to mean that the previous scan was back cover ,and that he was showing the front cover...when, in reality, he was showing the back cover...

however, it would be nice if jon could scan his front cover, to replace the one the gcd has (thumbs u

OK, thanks.

I was going to suggest that same thing -- I bet he already has a scan -- but I just leaned on him to help me ID the Famous Comics by number so I can upload them. Does anyone else (in the world) know which is which?

Jack

Here is the order I discerned for an article I did for CBM

Just as Famous Funnies, Series 1 and Famous Funnies #1 were largely reprints of the earlier reprint books, Famous Comics were reprints of the Famous Funnies series ( Note, some of the strips appeared in more than one issue of Famous Comics). While some of the Famous Comics material first appeared (as the following list shows) in Funnies on Parade, Carnival of Comics, Century of Comics and Famous Funnies, Series 1 , the reprints of Famous Comics track the Famous Funnies series. The significance of this is to note just how closely early comic book production was tied. (Furthur indication of this is the fact that Favorite Comics, another give-away of this time period also reprinted the early Famous Funnies. Favorite Comics, Book No. 1 is primarily Famous Funnies #2; containing most of the same contents as the “Fire Engine” and “Tiger” books as listed below; Book No. 2 is primarily derived from Famous Funnies #3 with the rest of the contents derived from Famous Funnies #2 and #4 while the contents of Book No. 3 is derived primarily from Famous Funnies #5 with the rest of the contents derived from Famous Funnies # 4 and #2 with one “Joe Palooka” strip being reprinted from Famous Funnies Series 1). It would appear that Famous Comics was the second comic book series.

The contents of Famous Comics is derived primarily from Famous Funnies #1-6 as the following list demonstrate. The contents are so derivative that Famous Comics could be dubbed “Famous Funnies, Jr.” It is interesting to note, however, that Famous Comics did not include the Famous Funnies features of “Toonerville Folks”, “Mutt and Jeff”, “Ben Webster”, “Tailspin Tommy” or “Reg’lar Fellars”.

The chronological progression of reprints suggests that the order of the Famous Comics series is as follows:

1. “Fire Engine” cover [EXCLUSIVELY FAMOUS FUNNIES #2 WITH

“THE BUNGLE FAMILY” STRIP IN #2 FIRST

APPEARING IN CARNIVAL OF COMICS

AND THEN FAMOUS FUNNIES, SERIES 1.

“JOE PALOOKA” STRIP FROM 3/25/34

2.”Tiger” cover [PRIMARILY FAMOUS FUNNIES #3 WITH

SOME STRIPS FROM FAMOUS FUNNIES #2

3. “Ambrose” cover [MAJORITY IS FAMOUS FUNNIES #4,

WITH SEVERAL STRIPS FROM FAMOUS

FUNNIES #2 AND SOME FROM #3. THE “JOE

PALOOKA” STRIP IN #4 IS FROM 5/14/33]

4. “Goal” cover [PRIMARILY FAMOUS FUNNIES #4 WITH

SOME STRIPS FROM #3. NOTE ONE OF THE

‘‘JOE PALOOKA” STRIPS (3/26/33) IN #4

APPEARED IN FUNNIES ON PARADE AND

THEN IN FAMOUS FUNNIES, SERIES 1 AND

THE “STRANGE AS IT SEEMS” STRIP IN #4

FIRST APPEARED IN CARNIVAL OF COMICS]

5. “Cowboy” cover [EVENLY DIVIDED BETWEEN FAMOUS FUNNIES

#4 AND #5 WITH THE THREE “NIPPER” . STRIPS FROM FAMOUS FUNNIES #1

6. “Buttons” cover [EXCLUSIVELY FROM FAMOUS FUNNIES #5,

WITH ONE STRIP FROM #2 .”THE BUNGLE

FAMILY” STRIP FIRST APPEARED

IN CARNIVAL OF COMICS THEN CENTURY

OF COMICS AND THEN IN FAMOUS FUNNIES

SERIES 1. ONE “JANE ARDEN” STRIP

UNIDENTIFIED. ONLY ISSUE TO HAVE

“BUCK RODGERS” STRIP.]

7. “Palooka faint” cover [EXCLUSIVELY FROM FAMOUS FUNNIES

#5, WITH THE THREE “HAIRBREADTH

HARRY” STRIPS FROM FAMOUS FUNNIES #1.

NOTE THE TWO “JOE PALOOKA” STRIPS

(5/28/33 AND 6/4/33) IN #5 FIRST

APPEARED IN FUNNIES ON PARADE. ACCORDINGLY

F.O.P. COULD NOT HAVE APPEARED UNTIL AT

LEAST JUNE OF 1933, MAKING THE BIRTH

OF THE MODERN COMIC BOOK AND ITS OFF-

SPRING OCCURING IN A FAIRLY TIGHT TIME FRAME.]

8. “Shot a Bear” cover [EXCLUSIVELY FROM FAMOUS FUNNIES #6

WITH THE TWO “SOMEBODY’S STENOG’’

FROM FAMOUS FUNNIES #1]

9. “Tail in stream” cover [EXCLUSIVELY FROM FAMOUS FUNNIES

#6, WITH THE TWO “PAM” STRIP FROM FAMOUS FUNNIES #1. ONE ‘‘JANE ARDEN” STRIP UNIDENTIFIED]

As the above indicates, only a limited amount of material is derived from Famous Funnies #1, suggesting that additional earlier editions of Famous Comics exist, or, perhaps, the editor felt Famous Funnies#1 had been sufficiently reprinted from its predecessors. If any one knows of additional editions of this magazine I would be pleased to hear from you.

Thanks for the information. I entered it all as partial indexing at GCD. It's great to have the covers and some information about such a historic series in the database.

Jack

Here is the order I discerned for an article I did for CBM

Just as Famous Funnies, Series 1 and Famous Funnies #1 were largely reprints of the earlier reprint books, Famous Comics were reprints of the Famous Funnies series ( Note, some of the strips appeared in more than one issue of Famous Comics). While some of the Famous Comics material first appeared (as the following list shows) in Funnies on Parade, Carnival of Comics, Century of Comics and Famous Funnies, Series 1 , the reprints of Famous Comics track the Famous Funnies series. The significance of this is to note just how closely early comic book production was tied. (Furthur indication of this is the fact that Favorite Comics, another give-away of this time period also reprinted the early Famous Funnies. Favorite Comics, Book No. 1 is primarily Famous Funnies #2; containing most of the same contents as the “Fire Engine” and “Tiger” books as listed below; Book No. 2 is primarily derived from Famous Funnies #3 with the rest of the contents derived from Famous Funnies #2 and #4 while the contents of Book No. 3 is derived primarily from Famous Funnies #5 with the rest of the contents derived from Famous Funnies # 4 and #2 with one “Joe Palooka” strip being reprinted from Famous Funnies Series 1). It would appear that Famous Comics was the second comic book series.

The contents of Famous Comics is derived primarily from Famous Funnies #1-6 as the following list demonstrate. The contents are so derivative that Famous Comics could be dubbed “Famous Funnies, Jr.” It is interesting to note, however, that Famous Comics did not include the Famous Funnies features of “Toonerville Folks”, “Mutt and Jeff”, “Ben Webster”, “Tailspin Tommy” or “Reg’lar Fellars”.

The chronological progression of reprints suggests that the order of the Famous Comics series is as follows:

1. “Fire Engine” cover [EXCLUSIVELY FAMOUS FUNNIES #2 WITH

“THE BUNGLE FAMILY” STRIP IN #2 FIRST

APPEARING IN CARNIVAL OF COMICS

AND THEN FAMOUS FUNNIES, SERIES 1.

“JOE PALOOKA” STRIP FROM 3/25/34

2.”Tiger” cover [PRIMARILY FAMOUS FUNNIES #3 WITH

SOME STRIPS FROM FAMOUS FUNNIES #2

3. “Ambrose” cover [MAJORITY IS FAMOUS FUNNIES #4,

WITH SEVERAL STRIPS FROM FAMOUS

FUNNIES #2 AND SOME FROM #3. THE “JOE

PALOOKA” STRIP IN #4 IS FROM 5/14/33]

4. “Goal” cover [PRIMARILY FAMOUS FUNNIES #4 WITH

SOME STRIPS FROM #3. NOTE ONE OF THE

‘‘JOE PALOOKA” STRIPS (3/26/33) IN #4

APPEARED IN FUNNIES ON PARADE AND

THEN IN FAMOUS FUNNIES, SERIES 1 AND

THE “STRANGE AS IT SEEMS” STRIP IN #4

FIRST APPEARED IN CARNIVAL OF COMICS]

5. “Cowboy” cover [EVENLY DIVIDED BETWEEN FAMOUS FUNNIES

#4 AND #5 WITH THE THREE “NIPPER” . STRIPS FROM FAMOUS FUNNIES #1

6. “Buttons” cover [EXCLUSIVELY FROM FAMOUS FUNNIES #5,

WITH ONE STRIP FROM #2 .”THE BUNGLE

FAMILY” STRIP FIRST APPEARED

IN CARNIVAL OF COMICS THEN CENTURY

OF COMICS AND THEN IN FAMOUS FUNNIES

SERIES 1. ONE “JANE ARDEN” STRIP

UNIDENTIFIED. ONLY ISSUE TO HAVE

“BUCK RODGERS” STRIP.]

7. “Palooka faint” cover [EXCLUSIVELY FROM FAMOUS FUNNIES

#5, WITH THE THREE “HAIRBREADTH

HARRY” STRIPS FROM FAMOUS FUNNIES #1.

NOTE THE TWO “JOE PALOOKA” STRIPS

(5/28/33 AND 6/4/33) IN #5 FIRST

APPEARED IN FUNNIES ON PARADE. ACCORDINGLY

F.O.P. COULD NOT HAVE APPEARED UNTIL AT

LEAST JUNE OF 1933, MAKING THE BIRTH

OF THE MODERN COMIC BOOK AND ITS OFF-

SPRING OCCURING IN A FAIRLY TIGHT TIME FRAME.]

8. “Shot a Bear” cover [EXCLUSIVELY FROM FAMOUS FUNNIES #6

WITH THE TWO “SOMEBODY’S STENOG’’

FROM FAMOUS FUNNIES #1]

9. “Tail in stream” cover [EXCLUSIVELY FROM FAMOUS FUNNIES

#6, WITH THE TWO “PAM” STRIP FROM FAMOUS FUNNIES #1. ONE ‘‘JANE ARDEN” STRIP UNIDENTIFIED]

As the above indicates, only a limited amount of material is derived from Famous Funnies #1, suggesting that additional earlier editions of Famous Comics exist, or, perhaps, the editor felt Famous Funnies#1 had been sufficiently reprinted from its predecessors. If any one knows of additional editions of this magazine I would be pleased to hear from you.

Jack-

final esoteric stuff for you and those who are having trouble sleeping...

Favorite Comics

you'all know why we have "soap operas"....Well Dif Corporation out of Garwood NJ obviously jumped on the comic giveaway by promoting its DIFferent Soap Cleaner by giving one book for every two boxes of soap purchased. These had "slick" covers and obviously redundant covers.

. Favorite Comics, Book No. 1 is primarily Famous Funnies #2; containing most of the same contents as the “Fire Engine” and “Tiger” books as listed below; Book No. 2 is primarily derived from Famous Funnies #3 with the rest of the contents derived from Famous Funnies #2 and #4 while the contents of Book No. 3 is derived primarily from Famous Funnies #5 with the rest of the contents derived from Famous Funnies # 4 and #2 with one “Joe Palooka” strip being reprinted from Famous Funnies Series 1).

Interestingly, there is a two page text piece in the middle.

63576.jpg.f98be322760f190c82028b13583475ca.jpg

63577.jpg.121490988e3d1ef66eba9a646cd5ae0b.jpg

63578.jpg.49b550cedf883982f1a242a180cd1cfe.jpg

63579.jpg.689f48bed50017c56bbd0d2b0c9b50c7.jpg

These early comics are amazing. Action #1 was the first comic book, right?

There's no skeleton set up at GCD, but I think I can do it with the information here. The most important detail that's missing is how many pages (counting the covers as pages). Glossy cover, so (multiple of 8) plus 4, most likely. Same back cover on all three?

Can you (or anyone) ID all the cover characters? That melodrama villain with mustache and top hat (bottom right) keeps showing up. Why does the kid in the bottom center have cat whiskers around his nose? Is he a mutant?

Thanks,

Jack

Jack-

Favorite Comics

you'all know why we have "soap operas"....Well Dif Corporation out of Garwood NJ obviously jumped on the comic giveaway by promoting its DIFferent Soap Cleaner by giving one book for every two boxes of soap purchased. These had "slick" covers and obviously redundant covers.

. Favorite Comics, Book No. 1 is primarily Famous Funnies #2; containing most of the same contents as the “Fire Engine” and “Tiger” books as listed below; Book No. 2 is primarily derived from Famous Funnies #3 with the rest of the contents derived from Famous Funnies #2 and #4 while the contents of Book No. 3 is derived primarily from Famous Funnies #5 with the rest of the contents derived from Famous Funnies # 4 and #2 with one “Joe Palooka” strip being reprinted from Famous Funnies Series 1).

Action #1 was the first comic book, right?

Not even close.

:angel:

SHATTER MY ILLUSIONS, WILL YOU?!?!

Jeez, next you'll try to tell me that Batman wasn't the first hero with a mask.

At least we're secure in knowing that Yellow Kid was the first comic strip, right?

Jack

(I hope I don't need smileyfaces for that.)

Not even close.

At least we're secure in knowing that Yellow Kid was the first comic strip, right?

Jack

Obadiah Oldbuck.

:baiting:

Not even close.

Jack

Obadiah Oldbuck.

:baiting:

Obie wore a mask? What's this world coming to?

Jack

Oh, my Vieux Bois!

There's no skeleton set up at GCD, but I think I can do it with the information here. The most important detail that's missing is how many pages (counting the covers as pages). Glossy cover, so (multiple of 8) plus 4, most likely. Same back cover on all three?

Can you (or anyone) ID all the cover characters? That melodrama villain with mustache and top hat (bottom right) keeps showing up. Why does the kid in the bottom center have cat whiskers around his nose? Is he a mutant?

Thanks,

Jack

Jack-

Favorite Comics

Look in Overstreet under Famous Funnies for these strip characters, but you have in this 32 page (see how I slipped it in) "Amazing Minute" The Bungle Family Ned Brant at Carter, Nipper, Dip and Duck by MEB (ME Brady)---which is original one pager which also appears in early titles of Famous Funnies....can't track it now.....but it is comic page panels, not comic strip reprint format with NO copyright...

Napoleon dog

Hairbreadth Harry---your guy with the moustach

Dixie Dugan

Connie

Jane Arden

Simp O'Dill

Screen Oddities

Smatter Pop?

slim and tubby

Look in Overstreet under Famous Funnies for these strip characters, but you have in this 32 page (see how I slipped it in)

Thanks! 32 pages plus glossy cover = 36 total, right?

Jack

Not even close.

Jack

Obadiah Oldbuck.

PSSH! Reprint.

Look in Overstreet under Famous Funnies for these strip characters, but you have in this 32 page (see how I slipped it in)

Thanks! 32 pages plus glossy cover = 36 total, right?

Jack

Yup

Not even close.

Jack

Obadiah Oldbuck.

PSSH! Reprint.

goez026.jpg

Mrs. Oldbuck tells Obadiah about 'Lenardo and Blandine' by Joseph Franz von Goez.

Entire 1783 "graphic novel" here, but be warned that the site has all of the images on a single page -- long download!

Another "first comic book" contender.

Jack

Looking forward to seeing it Mark!!! :banana:

Is that the "Lost Valley" copy???

By the way, Congrats!!! :acclaim:

I wish. Just a "regular" copy. I did buy about 20 Lost Valley Famous Funnies at the Con though, mostly in the 90s - 150s.

I don't have an image yet of the #2, but before I left for vacation I took some pics of the LV copies I picked up at SD.

Famous-Funnies-001.jpg

Famous-Funnies-003.jpg