• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest Golden Age Books

441 posts in this topic

Yeah, it's the same way on the inside. The panels are printed at a slight angle on the pages. Printer must have been having a bad day.
interesting...but good to know (thumbs u

Rarest Fox books? Probably the ones circa 1942, at the end of the various superhero runs. My guesses --

The Eagle 4

Weird Comics 20

Wonderworld 32, 33

With respect to the Fox books, I would say that none of them are truly that rare, although the issues at the end of the runs are most probably relatively tougher to find. (thumbs u

I certainly wouldn't say that the early Fox books are rare........more in demand and more expensive for sure, but definitely not that hard to find.

I beside these that some of the numbers in the period of Fantastic 17 and 18 are tougher.....I have the pre-war run of them, and they are just a neat little title at this time. jb

What about the early Fox books, specificially Wonder Comics #1 and #2? How do they rate against the ones you listed?

Rarest Fox books? Probably the ones circa 1942, at the end of the various superhero runs. My guesses --

The Eagle 4

Weird Comics 20

Wonderworld 32, 33

With respect to the Fox books, I would say that none of them are truly that rare, although the issues at the end of the runs are most probably relatively tougher to find. (thumbs u

I certainly wouldn't say that the early Fox books are rare........more in demand and more expensive for sure, but definitely not that hard to find.

I beside these that some of the numbers in the period of Fantastic 17 and 18 are tougher.....I have the pre-war run of them, and they are just a neat little title at this time. jb

What about the early Fox books, specificially Wonder Comics #1 and #2? How do they rate against the ones you listed?

I know I have seen dozens of Wonder 1's over the past few years...fairly "common" by comparison...only seen 3 copies of Wonder 2 in the same time frame, so much "scarcer" imo

The Eagle 4

Weird Comics 20

Wonderworld 32, 33

I know I have seen dozens of Wonder 1's over the past few years...fairly "common" by comparison...only seen 3 copies of Wonder 2 in the same time frame, so much "scarcer" imo

I agree....but #3 is the rarest of all! :insane:

The Eagle 4

Weird Comics 20

Wonderworld 32, 33

lol

The Eagle 4

Weird Comics 20

Wonderworld 32, 33

lol

perhaps, but i think #2 is tough.....

107078.jpg.d12c56d2dc664bb474951f21e3f70016.jpg

107079.jpg.9b0f9c89d4f2322a54906a1a63d52107.jpg

107080.jpg.fa0a982b8027e2ed3b386684fc655278.jpg

107081.jpg.f85f6ee407920671dac67d08d03ea7bd.jpg

107082.jpg.281680c18ac71bd0048c9fd011c5e6d9.jpg

So, the Wonder #2 is the tough early Fox - don't recall seeing many for sale. Over the yrs, I've seen a few WW #3s for sale.

Really never given the later 1st run Foxs much thought (focused on the Eisner & Fine issues). I've been looking for a couple of the later run Fox issues (late 41/42) with little success - now I know why. Thanks.

So, the Wonder #2 is the tough early Fox - don't recall seeing many for sale. Over the yrs, I've seen a few WW #3s for sale.

Really never given the later 1st run Foxs much thought (focused on the Eisner & Fine issues). I've been looking for a couple of the later run Fox issues (late 41/42) with little success - now I know why. Thanks.

The late number Fox cover by Ramona Patenude are just great.

Put them on "The List"

107153.jpg.d6ddb2d0d49867fd9e7278fd04aac1d3.jpg

107154.jpg.1202b7a80e31b8227e30652567aa6edf.jpg

107155.jpg.b4c8476599ea02616c1dc373d3870b52.jpg

107156.jpg.00ebbef769e5f2cd8c0eae8453054727.jpg

Certainly this would qualify as a group:

WEIRD SUSPENSTORIES ARE IN FACT A HYBRID OF CRIME SUSPENSTORIES, PUBLISHED BY SUPERIOR COMICS, WITH THE EXPRESS PERMISSION OF THE ENTERTAINING COMICS GROUP (EC), IN TORONTO FROM OCTOBER 1951-DECEMBER 1951, EXACTLY ONE YEAR FOLLOWING THEIR AMERICAN COUNTERPARTS.

ISSUES # 1-3 ARE CITED AS THE ONLY ISSUES KNOWN TO EXIST, AND FEW COPIES HAVE SURFACED IN THE PAST 50 YEARS. THE INTERIOR OF THESE BOOKS ARE IDENTICAL TO CRIME SUSPENSTORIES # 1-3, BUT HAVE CANADIAN HOUSE ADS, AND THE LETTER PAGES HAVE BEEN DROPPED.

LEGISLATION WAS PASSED IN CANADA WHICH MADE IT A CRIMINAL OFFENCE TO IMPORT CRIME COMICS INTO CANADA BETWEEN 1949-1953, HENCE THE WORD “WEIRD” REPLACED “CRIME” ON THE COVERS OF THESE COMICS. THIS LENDS AN ESOTERIC ELEMENT TO THIS GENRE AND ONLY 2-3 COPIES OF EACH BOOK ARE KNOWN TO EXIST.

WWSTTTTPIX.jpg

WSSCBM.jpg

WSSTTTTARTICLE.jpg

Picture005-5.jpg

Picture002-5.jpg

Picture003-5.jpg

Picture004-5.jpg

Picture006-4.jpg

Picture010-2.jpg

Picture011-1.jpg

Can you say Punch 9 Cover Swipe..Published by Al Rucker in Toronto with a funny animal interior in color.... go figure. This is my copy. Anybody want to shed some light on this one. Any other copies extant??

ROCKETMANFORTRESS.jpg

The Weekender seemed to have an obvious reprint rights with Chesler...

107159.jpg.540d23ba2e8f8ee9ba9d1897cb5a12e3.jpg

107160.jpg.52b782c5e48b071469df59c33fd6efa9.jpg

The late number Fox cover by Ramona Patenude are just great.

Put them on "The List"

I love those later Fox books as well,especially the Patenude covers.Many have been on my list for quite some time.In particular I've been on the lookout for a copy of US Jones 2 for what seems like an eternity,and have yet to see one for sale.I would guess that the Weird 20 and V Comics #2 are nearly impossible to find also.