• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Board member ARYAN

450 posts in this topic

I'm sorry, but outside of the process of hobby conditioning, I just don't understand why the two situations are handled differently, considering the intersection leads to a path that is sinister, evil and in the case of making money from tragedy, opportunistic.

Everyone else contributing to this thread does understand.

With respect to making money from tragedy, comics could hardly have ignored WWII. Given the emotions of the time and their intended audience, they can hardly have been expected to depict Germans and Japanese in a way that would seem enlightened in 2012. The accusation of making money off tragedy can be leveled against every book or movie depicting WW II or, for that matter, any other war or horrific event. It can also be leveled against local TV news that cover murders, fires, and other tragic events.

That is a fair argument. But in the broader sense, I still can't shake the concern that there is secondary market interest that falls outside of the "patriotic" appreciation you describe.

There is - it's the same kinds people that collect serial killer cr@p and other offensive-themed garbage. But, they are fringe collectors, and I think across time, there have always been people who are into things that 99.999% of the human race finds atrocious. That is the only explanation I have for things like Tub Girl.

Oh man.you actually mentioned Tub girl ?

Next thing ,you'll be mentioning Lemon Party too ?

:grin:

Well i know one very famous individual who collects Nazi stuff.

His name is Lemmy.

From the wiki page but i found out when watching the awesome doc Lemmy.

Lemmy collects Nazi memorabilia, and has an Iron Cross encrusted on his bass, which has led to accusations of Nazi sympathies. He has stated that he collects this memorabilia for aesthetic values only, and considers himself an anarchist or libertarian, and that he is "anti-communism, fascism, any extreme,"[34][35] saying that "government causes more problems than it solves".[36] According to Keith Emerson's autobiography, two of Lemmy's Hitlerjugend knives were given to Emerson by Lemmy during his time as a roadie for The Nice. Emerson used these knives many times as keyholders when playing the Hammond Organ during concerts with The Nice and Emerson, Lake & Palmer, often before destroying them.

I rarely post this smiley as i fear i do not have the capillary mane needed for such .

But for Lemmy. :headbang:

I forgot Lemmy was a huge collector (he adorns a lot of vintage memorabilia) and I think that is an excellent rebuttal to that question. That is how you get people past the assumption, because it is a reactionary topic. But, you have to be able to address it, too. Going back to the original topic, ARYAN apparently did not want to change his screen name, and is not here to address his side of the story.

What's the excellent rebuttal? "I collect this stuff for aesthetic reasons?"

Yeah. He explains why he collects it without getting into a lengthy diatribe, and makes sure the listener understands his belief system and that it differs from Nazism. To me, that's an excellent succinct way of explaining it without getting wordy about the topic.

Yeah, that's certainly a good argument against the proposition that Lemmy is a Nazi sympathizer ... I'm not sure it really excuses the behavior though, assuming it needs excusing. I suspect that, for people who have a visceral and/or personal, negative reaction to Nazi symbols, hearing that someone just likes the way they look will leave them pretty cold.

True - no argument there. We can only take his explanation at face value and choose to believe it, or read more into it.

I used to drive a hot rod hearse. Some people thought I was weird, and even went so far as to ask me to my face if I was "obsessed with Death". Of course, I understood why they would think that, and I didn't ever really have much of an explanation. I wasn't obsessed with Death, dying or other dark-themed topics. I just liked owning a hearse. I thought my car looked cool and was an impressive-looking musclecar.

But I never deluded myself into thinking that 100% of everyone should understand that. I drove a car that was weird to people, and that's just the way it goes. Like I said, dealing with people making those assumptions comes with the territory of collecting odd things.

I'm sorry to hear ARYAN didn't pay for all his purchases. That is bad. Not paying fellow boardies for books purchases is low.

I posted up on the first sales (I think his first, but can't be sure) he posted on where many boardies got all hyper on his name. My opinion hasn't changed. I stated he would be smart to just pick a different name - but it was wrong for so many people to assume he was a Neo-Nazi or member/sympathizer of the Aryan brotherhood just because of the name. He said never anything that suggested he believed such. He was just interested in purchasing comics.

Aryan has other meanings. including current academic usage for peoples of Indo-European descent.

I amazed how every time this screen name comes up it totally veers the conversation - any and every conversation - into everyone's view (or lack there of) of what is PC and what is not. Honestly - we are one easily distracted group. I think it was page 7 or 8 before someone answered the original post - said he paid for a book from him and he'd get the email address tot he person that started the thread.

Now - I'm in before the lock!

pish tosh! :banana:

Now - I'm in before the lock!

pish tosh! :banana:

Everyone here is on their best behavior and being level-headed. :(

I'm trying to be a troll, but I don't think I'm very good at it...

lol

Be thankful for that.

Again,i must insist on the fact there are a billion names to choose.

Now if he was upstanding on his deal with the OP,this wouldve never been a thread.

Again - I agree. He'd be smart to just pick a different name. At the time this was first suggested, he only had 3 or 4 posts.

But if his name wasn't ARYAN, this thread about his not paying for a purchase would not be totally derailed and on page 15 and counting....

threadfail.jpg

Why is there fail in the thread? Because we assumed a guy with the screen name of ARYAN is a Nazi? Come on, man. This is the internet. Every thread is about Nazis, eventually.