• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

haha after reading all this.. I just had to compile a list of boardies who I would never help out when I attend a show and they need a specific exclusive.

I fail to see how this was even an issue. I could only see it being a problem if Menace had gone behind the CBLDF's back to aquire these. He did not.

This happens at every show, every time.

I always see con exclusives stacked up at vendor's tables (marked up double or triple) on the 2nd and 3rd day and the original booth is sold out.

I've waiting in line for 8+ hours to get into a show only to find a line of vendors, VIPs, etc standing in line for the exclusive I waited for.

Good thing Nowhere Men is awesome.

Same goes for CBLDF.

haha after reading all this.. I just had to compile a list of boardies who I would never help out when I attend a show and they need a specific exclusive.

I fail to see how this was even an issue. I could only see it being a problem if Menace had gone behind the CBLDF's back to aquire these. He did not.

This happens at every show, every time.

I always see con exclusives stacked up at vendor's tables (marked up double or triple) on the 2nd and 3rd day and the original booth is sold out.

I've waiting in line for 8+ hours to get into a show only to find a line of vendors, VIPs, etc standing in line for the exclusive I waited for.

Good thing Nowhere Men is awesome.

Same goes for CBLDF.

Great post and I agree 100%

I think this was handled really poorly, and I have let both Menace and the CBLDF know that. It doesn't matter if it's for charity or for profit, making show exclusives available prior to the show is not good form. Many people paying to get into conventions are doing so with the intention of buying things they can only get at the con. 500 copies are going to the convention, and I think it's really $hitty to create a situation whereby scalpers lay claim to a large percentage of those copies in advance.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

If I ramble it's because I've been up for awhile - I've been getting up early trying to adjust to the upcoming time change I have to deal with.

I agree with Eric Stephenson. You have to respect the fact that the book is being offered at the convention for the attendees. Setting aside maybe 5% -10% of the print run might have been one thing, but taking almost half the print run off the top with no per person limits, then continuing to take more wait list orders past 400 copies on a 500 copy print run?

Even if it was coming from a good place (charity) the book could no longer be considered a con exclusive. The book you say you were trying to prevent from being cornered in the market, has just in fact been cornered by you.

The argument being made by boardies here that someone is going walk up to a publisher's table and buy 200 copies... or a few guys are going to buy 100 copies? I've never seen anything like that happen at any convention. And if someone tried they would probably be laughed at.

Basically it comes down to this - how would you feel if you were a big "Nowhere Men" fan, stood in line before opening, then you finally went into a convention and were told - "We're sold out, some guy from the CGC boards bought them all".

You'd be pissed & and you'd have every right to be.

In my opinion if this deal would have gone through it would have had serious repercussions and given the Boards a black eye. A lot of board members would not be able to do business as usual at cons (purchases, signings, etc.) and would be looked upon with suspicion.

I enjoy going to conventions. I've gotten to know a lot of board members, creators, and even publishers through them. When it comes to the exclusives I pickup a little of everything where I can but I never go into a convention saying "I'm going to buy out an exclusive & corner the market on this." I look for high grade copies to resell because that's what the CGC board members here want. I find out what the limits for purchase are and I roll with that. I'll stand there with the attendees and sort my books, hell I'll even help pick out copies for the guys next to me. If there is demand here on the boards I find out if I can purchase more, if I can't I move on and let you guys know.

Respect the con attendees, respect the creators, respect the comic book publishers, respect the limits at your local LCSs.... respect everyone.

I think this was handled really poorly, and I have let both Menace and the CBLDF know that. It doesn't matter if it's for charity or for profit, making show exclusives available prior to the show is not good form. Many people paying to get into conventions are doing so with the intention of buying things they can only get at the con. 500 copies are going to the convention, and I think it's really $hitty to create a situation whereby scalpers lay claim to a large percentage of those copies in advance.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Thank you Eric. I said yesterday a few pages b ack that I hope you would step in and say something. I hope this doesn't make coming to the forums less appealing now.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

If I ramble it's because I've been up for awhile - I've been getting up early trying to adjust to the upcoming time change I have to deal with.

I agree with Eric Stephenson. You have to respect the fact that the book is being offered at the convention for the attendees. Setting aside maybe 5% -10% of the print run might have been one thing, but taking almost half the print run off the top with no per person limits, then continuing to take more wait list orders past 400 copies on a 500 copy print run?

Even if it was coming from a good place (charity) the book could no longer be considered a con exclusive. The book you say you were trying to prevent from being cornered in the market, has just in fact been cornered by you.

The argument being made by boardies here that someone is going walk up to a publisher's table and buy 200 copies... or a few guys are going to buy 100 copies? I've never seen anything like that happen at any convention. And if someone tried they would probably be laughed at.

Basically it comes down to this - how would you feel if you were a big "Nowhere Men" fan, stood in line before opening, then you finally went into a convention and were told - "We're sold out, some guy from the CGC boards bought them all".

In my opinion if this deal would have gone through it would have had serious repercussions and given the Boards a black eye. A lot of board members would not be able to do business as usual at cons (purchases, signings, etc.) and would be looked upon with suspicion.

I enjoy going to conventions. I've gotten to know a lot of board members, creators, and even publishers through them. When it comes to the exclusives I pickup a little of everything where I can but I never go into a convention saying "I'm going to buy out an exclusive & corner the market on this." I look for high grade copies to resell because that's what the CGC board members here want. I find out what the limits for purchase are and I roll with that. I'll stand there with the attendees and sort my books, hell I'll even help pick out copies for the guys next to me. If there is demand here on the boards I find out if I can purchase more, if I can't I move on and let you guys know.

Respect the con attendees, respect the creators, respect the comic book publishers, respect the limits at your local LCSs.... respect everyone.

+1. Very well said.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

:applause:

You should ramble more often. (thumbs u

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

I have been to a lot of shows with exclusives and in most circumstances dealers/vip's are always getting the show exclusives before it begins. I also have never heard of anyone saying "some guy from the CGC boards bought them all" for example. Just because you go to a show does not mean you are guaranteed an exclusive. Plus you are assuming a lot that all of the board members are going for the resale of these. And I am not saying you would see some up for sale, because I am sure there would be. Sure I put my :takeit: up for 2, my brother is a huge NWM fan and I thought it would make a great birthday gift for him and 1 for myself.

"Respect the con attendees, respect the creators, respect the comic book publishers, respect the limits at your local LCSs....respect everyone" But IMO it does not sound like you respect the person trying to help fellow boardies out that can't make it to the show.

No disrespect towards e.s. or you BB intended at all.