• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

I have never had a dog in this race.

There are people who pre-order and get X amount of copies based on the writer,artist,story outline and research.

If the comic takes off,then they hit paydirt at 35% off cover.

There are those that prefer to wait until a book has broken out in the secondary market and will buy at a premium.

So when 500 copies of a proven financial windfall is out at cover,why are people suprised that a feeding frenzy - regardless of intent - ensues?

The simple answer to this was to have had 5000 copies printed.

Image knew the secondary demand - and if not,then there is a position begging to be created at Image!

Image printed a woefully short number of issues.

The ones that don't pre-order saw free $50 notes being handed out - and scrambled accordingly.

As for the people predicting the end of the world - sure, but only for the people caught holding the baby.

And tbh, I'm not really sure that with an Image product you can actually be left with 'too many' copies - especially if you pre-order.

Lastly to es - I, and others, have been beating this horse for months. When you let outsiders print their 'variants' then this kind of stuff ensues.

Image should never,ever allow the likes of certain groups to print 'variants' again.

If you at Image want to do it - and stuff up - then fine.

Don't let other groups do it for you.

Better still,just have 1 cover per issue and be done with it.

2c

Rofl pie

Whats the point of posting your opinion if you are going to get offended every time youre in a position to elaborate on it?

Youre entitled to your opinion but that doesnt mean others arent entitled to discuss it..

No animosity -_-

Edited by wushugushu

Oh I'm sorry. What I meant to say was: comic sales are up (in dollars, not units) by 12.4% from last year, while graphic novels are down 6% from last year therefore ...more people are reading comics. Perfect logic.

Well, more people are reading Image comics. We had a 38% increase in units at Image from 2011 to 2012.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

"hey E.S. this phantom program is terrible right? they print all of these variants I can't get ahold of! they're taking money away from the creators"

"I don't actually have a problem with more variants"

That was my favorite back and forth from this thread so far.

That was like two weeks ago.

We all know you don't like variants. I don't think anyone cares. 2c

Lastly to es - I, and others, have been beating this horse for months. When you let outsiders print their 'variants' then this kind of stuff ensues.

Image should never,ever allow the likes of certain groups to print 'variants' again.

They don't print the variants -- we do.

In the case of retail exclusives, a store or a group of stores will express interest in buying a set number of copies of an exclusive cover in addition to what they would typically order.

If it's something like a ComicsPro variant or an RRP cover, those are done as a "thank you" to the retail community.

CBLDF variants are generally done to help promote the Fund, and I think it's a good way to help raise awareness of both the work they do and the books involved in the program.

No matter what the case, we print the books, and we control the print runs.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Oh I'm sorry. What I meant to say was: comic sales are up (in dollars, not units) by 12.4% from last year, while graphic novels are down 6% from last year therefore ...more people are reading comics. Perfect logic.

Well, more people are reading Image comics. We had a 38% increase in units at Image from 2011 to 2012.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

The stories and art have been superior this past year.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Thank for this info e.s.

They don't print the variants -- we do.

In the case of retail exclusives, a store or a group of stores will express interest in buying a set number of copies of an exclusive cover in addition to what they would typically order.

If it's something like a ComicsPro variant or an RRP cover, those are done as a "thank you" to the retail community.

CBLDF variants are generally done to help promote the Fund, and I think it's a good way to help raise awareness of both the work they do and the books involved in the program.

No matter what the case, we print the books, and we control the print runs.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Then you create your own problems.

As aptly demonstrated in the last 400 posts in this very topic.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Or the same number of readers are just reading more Image comics. In reality, it's probably a mixture of both. My problem was just with presenting stats to "back up" something that it doesn't back up at all.

(I think I'm supposed to put a :foryou: here now, not sure, still learning the forum etiquette)