• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

Nrama: The book has had some delays, with these first six issues taking 11 months to come out. Doing a book monthly is a hard task even for major corporations with dozens of employees, so readers can understand. But can you talk about the delays and what the future looks like for Nowhere Men?

Stephenson: That's been a super drag. And I mean, seriously, I'm putting that really :censored: lightly. I'm not going to get into the whys and wherefores behind the delays, because even though this is the age of airing your dirty laundry on the Internet, I actually think there's something to be said for working your problems out in private, and you know, there were definitely some problems and they carried on for a quite a while longer than anyone involved was expecting. John Stewart likes to use the phrase "wildly_fanciful_statement Mountain" a lot on his show, and having issue six out, I kind of feel like we've been on a five month expedition to the top of wildly_fanciful_statement Mountain and back and I'm just happy for it to finally be over.

TRANSLATION: E.S. is incompetent with regards to handling problems professionally.

He's the head honcho, the big 'cheese' after all over at Image. If there's a problem with the story, he's the one writing it and no-one else is to blame. If there's a problem with the artist, hire another or hire an assistant to ease the burden. If anyone was in a position to eliminate the issues or nonsense driving the delays E.S. was in it. He demonstrated that he clearly cannot and furthermore demonstrated immeasurable disrespect to the fan base by not acknowledging the shortcomings earlier in a transparent way.

That's pretty harsh.

From the narrative, it's clear that Nate was the problem, and I respect ES for not throwing him under the bus, no matter how frustrated he was. I still recall Nate's excuses for not getting a boardie's purchased OA out to him in a reasonable amount of time. If you guys want to rail against someone, I'd suggest NB.

Also, with ES's position in Image, how constructive would it have been to have aired the dirty laundry? To me, it would have been damaging to Image for ES to point fingers. Image has a sterling reputation as a home for indy projects, and I'm sure ES was well aware that publicizing the trouble with the book could have affected that.

Nrama: The book has had some delays, with these first six issues taking 11 months to come out. Doing a book monthly is a hard task even for major corporations with dozens of employees, so readers can understand. But can you talk about the delays and what the future looks like for Nowhere Men?

Stephenson: That's been a super drag. And I mean, seriously, I'm putting that really :censored: lightly. I'm not going to get into the whys and wherefores behind the delays, because even though this is the age of airing your dirty laundry on the Internet, I actually think there's something to be said for working your problems out in private, and you know, there were definitely some problems and they carried on for a quite a while longer than anyone involved was expecting. John Stewart likes to use the phrase "wildly_fanciful_statement Mountain" a lot on his show, and having issue six out, I kind of feel like we've been on a five month expedition to the top of wildly_fanciful_statement Mountain and back and I'm just happy for it to finally be over.

TRANSLATION: E.S. is incompetent with regards to handling problems professionally.

He's the head honcho, the big 'cheese' after all over at Image. If there's a problem with the story, he's the one writing it and no-one else is to blame. If there's a problem with the artist, hire another or hire an assistant to ease the burden. If anyone was in a position to eliminate the issues or nonsense driving the delays E.S. was in it. He demonstrated that he clearly cannot and furthermore demonstrated immeasurable disrespect to the fan base by not acknowledging the shortcomings earlier in a transparent way.

That's pretty harsh.

From the narrative, it's clear that Nate was the problem, and I respect ES for not throwing him under the bus, no matter how frustrated he was. I still recall Nate's excuses for not getting a boardie's purchased OA out to him in a reasonable amount of time. If you guys want to rail against someone, I'd suggest NB.

Also, with ES's position in Image, how constructive would it have been to have aired the dirty laundry? To me, it would have been damaging to Image for ES to point fingers. Image has a sterling reputation as a home for indy projects, and I'm sure ES was well aware that publicizing the trouble with the book could have affected that.

So....... get a new artist. I like Nates work but he isn't the best ever of all time. Simply replace him and move on. If it was Nate and he down the line got his sheat together then bring him back on. I have a hard time believing it was Nate just for that simple task [of replacing him]. Before someone says it is not a simple task, this is ES we are talking about and a pretty popular book at the time. He could literally snap his finger and have people jumping at the opportunity

Not sticking up for Nate as I watched what went down but I dealt with him twice for a few thousand bucks and he got my stuff out very quickly. Just another side to the coin.

That's pretty harsh.

So....... get a new artist. I like Nates work but he isn't the best ever of all time. Simply replace him and move on. If it was Nate and he down the line got his sheat together then bring him back on. I have a hard time believing it was Nate just for that simple task [of replacing him]. Before someone says it is not a simple task, this is ES we are talking about and a pretty popular book at the time. He could literally snap his finger and have people jumping at the opportunity

Not sticking up for Nate as I watched what went down but I dealt with him twice for a few thousand bucks and he got my stuff out very quickly. Just another side to the coin.

Oh, yeah. There's two sides.

Unless NB has partial rights to the property, getting a new artist should have been fairly easy. Also, the variants for number 1 may have been a bit of a cash grab.

Some criticism is fair. I just don't think ES should be utterly pilloried for his handling of NWM.

That's pretty harsh.

Oh, yeah. There's two sides.

Unless NB has partial rights to the property, getting a new artist should have been fairly easy. Also, the variants for number 1 may have been a bit of a cash grab.

Some criticism is fair. I just don't think ES should be utterly pilloried for his handling of NWM.

Owning a few different businesses myself, I would rather hire a replacement for a partner and keep the sales coming in then do absolutely nothing with that business. I suppose making a profit comes into play here but I would have to think hiring a fill in would still leave room for profit even if there was a partnership with Nate. Just thinking out loud I guess.

That's pretty harsh.

This is why I appreciate Nick Spencer. Riley was off Bedlam for whatever reason. He got Ryan Browne on board. I can't understand why THIS lengthy of a delay with no real explanation. It was a very popular book. I'm sure artists would be somewhat lining up to work on it. (shrug)

Well, I think there was some sort of plan because I remember the soliciations showing up in the image site saying NB + Emi Lenox. So perhaps that was the plan and then it also fell through?

In the end, I really liked this book. Didn't care about any of the variants. I actually really liked the stuff they did with the extra printing covers. I don't really think anyone can say what really is the cause of the delays unless you're ES or NB. It could ES, it could be NB who knows. I just want to read comics. Oh well, I hope they get things back on track :popcorn:

It went downhill after the CBLDF scandal and E.S. left the boards in a huff.

Am I lost? What scandal? (shrug)

Start here and read on.

I was lost too... Best of the first couple pages:

Wouldn't it be something if this title is dropped after issue 6...

Just wanting to give props for a 2/18/13 (and seemingly 1st) prediction

Its crazy to me that despite all of the negatives, the most recent CGC 9.8 Thought Bubble sale was for $193.50. I know that isn't great for those who got in late but if you were an early buyer on this book and you didn't look to see what it was bringing for a year and half, I'd think you would have to be pleased. It seems to me that when you bought determines if this book was a good buy or not. (shrug)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nowhere-Men-1-Thought-Bubble-Variant-CGC-/251551830107?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a91a8505b

Prices still seem to be fairly decent. Not as crazy as they were sure but not bad in the grand scheme.

It was an awesome series and I have a good deal of OA [only book I ever bought any for] and I will certainly pick up #7 when it comes out in 2019 but man what a disappointment. Oh well, plenty of AWESOME books out right now

Same here, I have three pages from the first issue. Even if the series ends now, I'd still be happy with the pages. I love the art. OA is a bit different than buying up variants IMO. As long as you like the art, its worth having.

If the series does continue they may go digital with the art anyway. In that case, it will be pretty scarce.

Remember the time when Nowhere men #1 was released w the same cover art & different background colors & all you guys threw money at the internet.

Blue is the rarest.

NO Orange is rarer.

I must have them all.

That was a good time.

I think most of us made money throwing that mess on the internet, not the other way around.

Exactly. It was easy money that could be turned into older keys or more moderns to flip for a profit.

I still have two or three 1st print sets sitting in a long box someplace, those were paid for a long time ago.

FWIW, it is probably worthwhile holding onto a couple of spare #1s just in case the series is relaunched. It worked well with buying pre-unity, incentive and late run Valiants in the late 90s after the implosion and will likely hold true for popular Image titles as well long term.

I have a page of Nowhere Men OA....impossible to sell, maybe I could make some money putting it on youtube as i feed it into a shredder.

I don't collect OA, but instead of shredding it, send it to me and I'll send you some drek to shred so you can get it out of your system... :grin: