• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

That provides some closure. I appreciate Nate for putting it out there like that. For anybody that pissed and moaned about the wait - something that I am guilty of - it's worth reading. It will take you a lot less time than it does for a NWM issue to be released.

One of my favorite paragraphs:

First off, stop going so easy on me. Did you know that two years ago this week Nowhere Men was announced? Pretty cool, huh? No! Persons, get with it! That means in two years only six issues have come out! Also, I was working on the book for two years before it was even published, so really it means that I’ve only made six issue in four years. Four years. It doesn’t matter how you fricassee that chicken, Mr. Lincoln isn’t going to eat it. So stop saying that the book is worth waiting for, even if you think it is. Also stop saying that the art is so detailed that it must take a long time to draw. It does, yes, but I could take longer and never stop drawing details, heck, I am doing that, but I shouldn’t be. The idea is to take as little time as possible without sacrificing any of the quality. This doesn’t mean that I want anyone to be a jackoff about it, either. I know you have waited a long time and are disappointed, but your scorn is not going to make me feel worse than I already have, so take that time and energy and redirect it into something useful, like brainstorming on a more efficient way to fold laundry (do socks really need to be paired if they all match?). I’m sure there is a constructive middle ground that both shows support and encourages me to try harder, and if I knew what that was I guess we probably wouldn’t be here to begin with.

First off, Nate is brave for making that post. It explains a lot and to be honest I expected this. The great thing for me is that everyone involved were protective of the book and Nate it seems. I remember speaking with Jordie Bellaire at ECCC earlier this year when she was signing my Nowhere Men copies and I showed her the sketch Nate had done for me. She said she hadn't coloured any pages for Nowhere Men in a while and missed working on the book. You could tell there was a sort of comradery.

To be honest, a lot of my respect also goes to ES for not throwing Nate under the bus. This book is his baby and has been a long time in the making by all accounts.

Sounds to me that this could be a watershed moment for the book.

To make it short and sweet....

Nate as it turns out, is 100% the problem and has admitted it due to some mental health issues. He claims the book will come out eventually but it looks like that wont be for a long time as he is still in treatment.

In otherwords, ES was being good enough to take some heat on NWM while Nate was seeking treatment.

With that said, he should have just gotten a fill in artist until Nate got better and then brought Nate back in with a big splash.

Glad Nate spoke up.....hope the book really does come out again some day. I have read each issue 4-5 times now, LOVE the story

he (ES) should have just gotten a fill in artist until Nate got better and then brought Nate back in with a big splash.

Out looking in, this probably would have made the most sense (still does), so there must be a really good reason why ES didn't choose this route.

hm

he (ES) should have just gotten a fill in artist until Nate got better and then brought Nate back in with a big splash.

Out looking in, this probably would have made the most sense (still does), so there must be a really good reason why ES didn't choose this route.

hm

Someone else was announced as a co-artist early this year, weren't they? Not sure what happened to that plan.

Perhaps Eric didn't want Nate to feel like the book was being yanked away from him, and as a gesture of support offered to leave the project open until he was ready to come back and finish it.

hm

Someone else was announced as a co-artist early this year, weren't they? Not sure what happened to that plan.

Perhaps Eric didn't want Nate to feel like the book was being yanked away from him, and as a gesture of support offered to leave the project open until he was ready to come back and finish it.

As that may be true, it's still a horrible business move....the book was so hot.

hm

The co-artist was Emi Lennox and she was going to be drawing from Monica Strange's perspective.

Perhaps this is Nate's way of clearing the path, so that Eric can consider another artist and get the second arc out. I know that Möritat was on the solicitation for Issue 9, so I'm assuming he was the support artist (and was pretty pleased about it, based on this tweet). As much as I love Nate's work, I'm actually intrigued by the idea of another artist drawing the title.

hm

The co-artist was Emi Lennox and she was going to be drawing from Monica Strange's perspective.

Perhaps this is Nate's way of clearing the path, so that Eric can consider another artist and get the second arc out. I know that Möritat was on the solicitation for Issue 9, so I'm assuming he was the support artist (and was pretty pleased about it, based on this tweet). As much as I love Nate's work, I'm actually intrigued by the idea of another artist drawing the title.

(thumbs u Yep, I'd like to see this happen too.

From the narrative, it's clear that Nate was the problem, and I respect ES for not throwing him under the bus, no matter how frustrated he was. I still recall Nate's excuses for not getting a boardie's purchased OA out to him in a reasonable amount of time. If you guys want to rail against someone, I'd suggest NB.

Also, with ES's position in Image, how constructive would it have been to have aired the dirty laundry? To me, it would have been damaging to Image for ES to point fingers. Image has a sterling reputation as a home for indy projects, and I'm sure ES was well aware that publicizing the trouble with the book could have affected that.

Posted a month ago.

As a follow up, in response to Nate's request to 'stop going easy on him', I never went easy on him. But I will now. I admire him for being open and honest, congratulate him and ES for the great six issues they produced, and wish him the best in sorting out his life.

E.s.should have solved the problem six months ago. He is the Big Chief.

I think he made the right decision - I like it when people with power (apparently) side with people over profits. From everything we know right now... Stephenson supported Nate. He took a lot of heat - a lot of it from people on these boards - and left Nate's personal problems personal.

The book never left my pull list, so I'll wait for it and cross my fingers. Hell, I also have Frankenstein Alive, Alive on there, so NWM isn't even the worst offender.