• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hoarding keys???

63 posts in this topic

My advice to one and all is this: I would use my discretionary income on comics and for investment I would be well diversified. If people had simply switched out of tech stocks into other investments durring the "bubble" the "burst" wouldn't hurt so bad. I would be careful about putting all your eggs into Valiants or even into being a Hulk 181 hoarder; as has been said numerous times, if you hoard those suckers you are going to drive our own market down when you try and sell.

Personally, I really like X-O Manowar and Turok and I was able to get the books cheap (I think $60 for everything). I don't expect to even get that $60 back if I were to sell them, but the books make me happy, which is exactly what I want out of my discretionary income.

DAM

After the release of Ultimate Spider-Man, I felt the heat rising on the book, so with the help of an aquaintance of mine(he's a modern book hoarder) I manage to pick up about 40 runs of issues 1-6, and a handful of White variants of #1. Unfortunetly, I sold most of them fairly early, and although I made a very nice profit, If I held out until last May I could have made quite a bit more. I've still got about 5 or 6 runs left, which I'm keeping just incase, although I don't expect any more growth.

There's a certain bronze key(not Hulk 181) that I'm hoarding, but I'm not saying what it is because I don't want to make aquiring them any more expensive. tongue.gif

I've met a few collectors who had put away piles of books like Shazam 1 (1973) Shadow 1 , Spider-Man vs Superman treasury New Gods 1, Star Wars 1 as a result I have multiples in unread NM of many of those books. I bought 5 copies of GS X-men 1 from a older collector who bought them right off the stands but I sold those for 150% of guide before CGC came out . Interestingly he couldnt have cared less about them just named a price and took his cash. He had many boxes full of late 60's early 80's books he invested in but I lost his info a few years ago. I also knew a collector who had 200-500 copies of all the 68 Marvel first issues .

New poster here, I've been out of collecting for a few years & recently started following the CGC trends. Around 3 years ago I answered an add in a local newspaper for comics from the early 70s. Guy said the collection consisted of mostly Swamp Thing, Kamandi & Shazam. I figured it might be an ok pickup so I swung by later in the week. My eyes almost fell out when I realized he wasn't talking about runs, he was talking about #1s. Between 50 to 100 of each #1 issue. Also multiples of between 10 & 20 of other books such as Conan, Shadow, Supergirl, Gunhawks, Tex Dawson, Supernatural Thrillers, Legion of Superheroes & Secret Origins, along with a few copies each of the Marvel #1s from 1968. The collection was in San Antonio & also included about 80% of the 30 cent variants, along with a whole lot more. Even though the majority of the books were inbetween Fine & VF, it was still quite a sight to see. The kicker was he threw in a lot of around 300-400 paperback Doc Savage & Avenger first print books that I immediatly started selling off on ebay & more than covered the whole cost of the collection. I was more of a collector than dealer & that was by far the nicest collection I ever uncovered.

"MOKF ?? If they are reading of mid-grade copies I might be interested, one of the few Marvel titles I have hardly ever read and I wouldn't mind starting on them "

Well what are you waiting for? Go out and buy all the issues of MOKF you can find right now. grin.gif

You can pick up all but a few issues of the run for a few bucks a pop, money well spent. The whole run really is a great read and some fab artwork too from starlin,gaulacy(sp?) and zeck. The premise of the book is not so much superhero but kind of a cross between Bruce Lee and James Bond. Really cool stuff.

Get down to your nearest comic book store and buy them, you won't be sorry, and tell them blowout sent you. grin.gif

Anyone around here looking for MOKF??

Master of Kung Fu 17 VF- $7.00 off-center

Master of Kung Fu 19 NM $17.00 Man-Thing app

Master of Kung Fu 21 F+ $1.00

Master of Kung Fu 23 VF/NM $4.50

Master of Kung Fu 24 VF $4.50

Master of Kung Fu 25 F $1.00

Master of Kung Fu 26 F $1.00

Master of Kung Fu 27 F+ $1.00

Master of Kung Fu 28 NM $8.00

Master of Kung Fu 29 NM- $5.25

Master of Kung Fu 30 VF $3.50

Master of Kung Fu 31 F+ $1.00 date stamp

Master of Kung Fu 33 VF $2.50

Master of Kung Fu 34 VF/NM $3.00

Master of Kung Fu 36 VF- $1.00

Master of Kung Fu 37 VF $2.50

Master of Kung Fu 38 NM $6.00

Master of Kung Fu 38 NM- $3.75 off-center

Master of Kung Fu 40 VF+ $3.00 date stamp, off-center

Master of Kung Fu 41 NM- $3.75

Master of Kung Fu 42 NM- $3.75 arrival date

Master of Kung Fu 42 NM- $3.75 off-center

Master of Kung Fu 43 NM- $3.75

Master of Kung Fu 43 NM- $3.75

Master of Kung Fu 44 NM- $3.75

Master of Kung Fu 45 NM- $3.75

Master of Kung Fu 45 VF/NM $3.00

Master of Kung Fu 46 NM $6.00

Master of Kung Fu 46 VF- $1.00 date stamp

Master of Kung Fu 47 NM $6.00

Master of Kung Fu 47 VF $2.50

Master of Kung Fu 48 NM- $3.75

Master of Kung Fu 48 F+ $1.00 date stamp

Master of Kung Fu 50 NM- $3.75

Master of Kung Fu 50 NM- $3.75

Master of Kung Fu 51 NM $5.00

Master of Kung Fu 51 VF $2.00 date stamp

Master of Kung Fu 52 NM $5.00

Master of Kung Fu 52 VF $2.00 date stamp

Master of Kung Fu 53 NM $5.00

Master of Kung Fu 53 F $1.00 date stamp

Master of Kung Fu 54 NM $5.00

Master of Kung Fu 55 NM $5.00

Master of Kung Fu 55 F+ $1.00

Master of Kung Fu 56 NM $5.00

Master of Kung Fu 56 VF $2.00

Master of Kung Fu 57 NM $5.00

Master of Kung Fu 59 NM $5.00

Master of Kung Fu 61 NM+ $8.00

Master of Kung Fu 62 NM $5.00

Master of Kung Fu 63 NM+ $8.00

Master of Kung Fu 64 NM $5.00

Master of Kung Fu 65 NM $5.00

Master of Kung Fu 66 NM+ $8.00

Master of Kung Fu 67 NM+ $8.00

Master of Kung Fu 68 NM $5.00

Master of Kung Fu 70 NM+ $8.00

Master of Kung Fu 71 NM $5.00

Master of Kung Fu 72 NM+ $8.00

Master of Kung Fu 74 NM $5.00

Master of Kung Fu 75 NM $5.00

Master of Kung Fu 22 NM- $5.00 off-center

Master of Kung Fu 25 NM $7.00 off-center 1/16"

Master of Kung Fu 47 NM- $3.00

Actually, there are NOT a lot of high grade Warlord 1s in that box. I've gone through them because I'm looking for a VERY high grade copy, and every single one of them has little spider creases on the spine, which is noticeable on the black cover. I think Warlord 1 in very high grade is an exceptionally undervalued issue, because of the jet black cover.

My hoarding:

Misses

I still have 200-300 copies of Man of Steel 1, the Byrne mini-series. Boy, did I miss on THAT one.

Star Trek 1, the Marvel series. Probably 100 copies of that POS still

Fantastic Four 236, probably 100 copies of that. Why didn't this pop? triple sized, 20th anniversary, Byrne, grrrr

Hits

I have (not here, at my parents house in a box in the basement in Illinois, so everybody calm down) 250 copies of:

- X-Men 137 (this was a layup, even then - it was a "can't miss")

- X-Men 139

- Amazing Spider-Man 200

I haven't opened the boxes in a LONG time, but I would imagine that the middle issues of the piles are beautiful.

was wondering if any of you have massive hoardes of keys out there

Tick me off a bit more why don't you? grin.gif

About 5 years ago I got rid of the remainder of my comic collection I cared nothing about - mainly bronze age - what are now - keys (maybe even a MAJOR key! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif )

Things like Spotlight 2 and 5, Werewolf By Night 1-20, all the Werewolf Moon Knight books, the Neal Adams Greenie books, Tomb Of Dracula 1-god knows, Amazing Spiderman, Swamp Thing 1-10, Marvel Two-In One and Team Ups, Marvel Premiere and many more Spotlights, a full run of Iron Fist, literally every Marvel #1 from Conan to Black Panther and beyond and on and on and on. 3 long boxes of these things. I really, really don't want to think about it. And the condition? Miost were collected in the very early 80's and looked it. Gorgeous books. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I know the series, have two or three issues I bought in England in the late 70's... but have never even seen any over here...nobody I know collects them.

So finding a shop that sells them will probably be impossible...

If they all had been between F and VF (and priced accordingly) I would have been on them like Dath on a piece of inferior chocolate...

I just want to read the damn things, so NM and NM are a tad overkill for this purpose... crazy.gif

It's not a key, but one of the most unusual issues I've ever seen hoarded--Howard the Duck # 3, 30 cent variant.

In my hunt for price variants, I came across a dealer (Donut knows who I mean) who had, back in the 1970's, a fairly illegitimate arrangement with a distributor where he bought returned books at a discount. Like a lot of other dealers, this bozo thought he would get rich off HTD. So he hoarded every issue of #'s 2-4 he could find. Little did he know (until FD came across him) what a variant was. Turns out every copy of #3 in 4 jam-packed long boxes was a variant. All VF+ to NM+. He hadn't broken these out until FD told what price variants where, then went through his back stock to find them. I benefitted from Dan's educational efforts--after FD had left, the same guy sold me about 10 truly hard to find or scarce variants he didn't have out when FD came by (Planet of Apes, Weird Wonder Tales, Double Feature, Greatest Comics, etc.). FD still finished the set before me.

This guy was also quite possibly the sleaziest comic dealer ever - he would ONLY take cash, no checks or credit cards, and was ripping people off for years and years. He went out of business.

Man, have I been gone that long? There are tens of thousands of posts I have missed! Anyway...I also did the Valiant thing...got about 5-10 copies of everything for about a year after Unity. And as weird as this may sound, I think some Valiant stuff is actually back to being an interesting investment. You never know when a cool character like XO, Solar, or Shadowman will get revamped by some artist or writer cuz he loved the books himself a decade ago. Look at what happened to the Gold Key stuff when Valiant took off. The pre-Unity print runs are still really low by any standards, and alot of the books were tossed aside when the market on them crashed. If I found someone selling a large stash of something like X-O #1 at a great price (a friend of mine got 25 copies for UNDER COVER PRICE) I would take a little dive.

I have a hoard that I am sure almost no one can match...Triumphant comics! Does anyone remember these? They came out during the mad craze after Valiant and were individually serial numbered (most print runs under 20,000). I thought they looked alright, and the print runs were super low, so I picked up a few copies of each book for 25% off cover price (like 5 - 7 titles or something) Well, a few people saw me doing it, and liked the idea, including one store owner that bought about 25 copies of each issue with no subscriber base. When the company bombed, he held them in the back of the store, but after about a year, he gave up on them. He gave me two long boxes for free, so how could I say no? Still have them at my mothers house. Who knows? maybe someday someone will think Chromium Man or Dr Chaos is cool enough to revamp.