• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX Question

240 posts in this topic

Whew! i just read this whole thread. it's a shame it ended, great entertainment. I must say it was fun. I'm new to the hobby, here's what I learned:

PGX is small, shady, and highly DIS-respected. they are also cheaper & faster. A newbie (me) wouldn't know that upfront of before finding this board.

CGC is big, highly respected, and books graded by them sell for higher dollars. They are also expensive, slow, and sometimes make mistakes. The slow and expensive I knew before finding this board, thats why I ended up finding the other "guy" umm company.

Conclusion: PGX will never make it. The company will fold at some point. you can't do bad business and survive.

CGC is just fine but they had better get their stuff together sooner than later, poor customer service and high prices are not a good recipe. Only the government can get away with that long tern. They are begging for real competition.

Here is what I did before I knew any of this... I sent 6 mid value books to pgx to be graded and 13 high dollar books to CGC... Thank goodness. I got the PGX books back last friday. Still Waiting on the CGC books... surprise.

One of the PGX slabs has, well, a small piece of the PGX "plant" entombed with it. near the bottom right edge. see scan.

adventurecomics431frontpgx_zps8fcdfd8b.jpg

Not only am I pissed off about that, I feel like a couple of the books are under graded, but I realize my lack of experience might have something to do with that.

I can't wait to get my CGC books back but seriously it takes for ever!

I frankly believe this guy will go on and continue to be in business because of one reason - he's slabbing and selling his own books. There is a market for graded books, no matter who is grading it. He's been able to last this long and there's a bunch of books out there already with a PGX label already.

He also got big press with the Action 1 that he was able to grade and encapsulate.

Look at the bright side, without a competitor, we would not be able to compare CGC against anyone.

If he would have been patient and kept to a solid business ethic he could be much further than where he is at now. In this case all the damage done to the company was done by himself. I was tempted to submit some moderns that weren't particularly valuable just for kicks but decided not even to bother. With the cash I saved I'll just submit the books I was already going to send to CGC and FT them instead

:bump:

are we still waiting on an answer from PGX on the letter that was sent? :ohnoez:

I thought it was a phone call. Who knows if Tony ever made it.

PGX's phone system is currnetly down for maintainance.

telephone.jpg