• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX Question

240 posts in this topic

You do realize that what you did is totally against the SS rules, right?

I am not picking a fight, just truly curious. Where are CGC's rules on SS located.

I went to the home page and found nothing other than the book must be signed in the witness of an employee of CGC or an authorized witness. And that the book must be signed by someone of significance to the issue.

Personally, I see no problem in what I and others have done. Unless of course there is a rule against doing it.

I have to agree that CGC needs to lay out these rules more clearly then on the Signature Series page on the main site selling the service.

I don't think you did anything wrong at all since you didn't know better. Now knowing what the whole Sig Series stands for I can also understand why they wouldn't want to allow this to normally happen.

Sadly though there are others out there who would try to take advantage of witnesses and pass along already signed books as just signed, I feel that anyone who tries this should be blacklisted from ever subbing again to the Sig Series (again not at all describing you chunkybutt in this example, having met you I know you are good people and feel as strongly as I do about keeping the integrity of the program going).

Now back to the original topic at hand PGX, I will never buy a book in a PGX slab from a dealer or store unless I can crack it out right in front of them and inspect it to be as described and without any resto. 2 out of 3 times I stumbled upon a PGX book that I was interested in the dealers had no issue with me doing this (one of them insisted on cracking it out themselves which I was fine with), the 3rd person who was completely against this idea I felt was trying to hide something so I just walked away from any attempts at a deal.

So how were the books after you cracked them open? Did you buy them? Always good to give the factual details, but I imagine they were OK, or you would have mentioned some missed defect or resto etc.??? I like to hear other peoples actual experiences, so I am curious if anyone has had bad experiences the past 2-3 years, or if most of the horror stores are from 5-6 years ago when the less than honest employee worked there?

I am not picking a fight, just truly curious. Where are CGC's rules on SS located.

I went to the home page and found nothing other than the book must be signed in the witness of an employee of CGC or an authorized witness. And that the book must be signed by someone of significance to the issue.

Personally, I see no problem in what I and others have done. Unless of course there is a rule against doing it.

I have to agree that CGC needs to lay out these rules more clearly then on the Signature Series page on the main site selling the service.

I don't think you did anything wrong at all since you didn't know better. Now knowing what the whole Sig Series stands for I can also understand why they wouldn't want to allow this to normally happen.

Sadly though there are others out there who would try to take advantage of witnesses and pass along already signed books as just signed, I feel that anyone who tries this should be blacklisted from ever subbing again to the Sig Series (again not at all describing you chunkybutt in this example, having met you I know you are good people and feel as strongly as I do about keeping the integrity of the program going).

Now back to the original topic at hand PGX, I will never buy a book in a PGX slab from a dealer or store unless I can crack it out right in front of them and inspect it to be as described and without any resto. 2 out of 3 times I stumbled upon a PGX book that I was interested in the dealers had no issue with me doing this (one of them insisted on cracking it out themselves which I was fine with), the 3rd person who was completely against this idea I felt was trying to hide something so I just walked away from any attempts at a deal.

So how were the books after you cracked them open? Did you buy them? Always good to give the factual details, but I imagine they were OK, or you would have mentioned some missed defect or resto etc.??? I like to hear other peoples actual experiences, so I am curious if anyone has had bad experiences the past 2-3 years, or if most of the horror stores are from 5-6 years ago when the less than honest employee worked there?

The less than honest employee still works there. He is the owner! doh!

I don't know if he has any cheap slabs on his Ebay site, (DJBrady4U) but someone should win one and out him as owner and grader for PGX in the feedback. :/

DJBrady4U has been identified as Ryan Elliott. Daniel Patterson owns PGX, to the best of my knowledge. But Elliott's "access" to PGX's equipment has been discussed before.

PGX is the best thing going for CGC right now. It is the exact opposite of legitimate competition.

I don't know if he has any cheap slabs on his Ebay site, (DJBrady4U) but someone should win one and out him as owner and grader for PGX in the feedback. :/

DJBrady4U has been identified as Ryan Elliott. Daniel Patterson owns PGX, to the best of my knowledge. But Elliott's "access" to PGX's equipment has been discussed before.

PGX is the best thing going for CGC right now. It is the exact opposite of legitimate competition.

so who was the guy spotted purchasing that CGC Avengers #4 at a convention earlier this year, only to have it end up in a DJBrady auction with a much higher grade?

so who was the guy spotted purchasing that CGC Avengers #4 at a convention earlier this year, only to have it end up in a DJBrady auction with a much higher grade?

I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm just making it very clear that Elliott and Patterson are two different people, so that doesn't gum up the works.

Anyone with an IQ over 40 can find volumes of information on PGX, Ryan Elliott, Daniel Patterson and all their various escapades over all these many years.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm just making it very clear that Elliott and Patterson are two different people, so that doesn't gum up the works.

Anyone with an IQ over 40 can find volumes of information on PGX, Ryan Elliott, Daniel Patterson and all their various escapades over all these many years.

Here's the thread he mentioned:

former 8.5 cgc Avengers 4 now 9.6 pgx

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Journey-into-Mystery-83-PGX-8-0-1st-THOR-APP-/150885623501?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item23217be6cd go win this one. I am looking over his page it is funny how almost everything he offers is 9.8 and above.

I didn't buy either one. Both me and the dealers agreed they were overgraded by about 2 points. Both were tagged as 8.0 SA books and they were more realistically 6.0s. One of the two had obvious color touch to the front cover that had bled through and could be easily viewed on the inside of the cover. Neither dealer had much into them though and had picked them up with a group of other graded CGC/PGX books.

Bottom line is PGX is a joke and the fact that they overlooked the obvious color touch is reason enough for me to never buy a PGX slabbed book unless I can inspect it before.

Ebay is investigating DJBrady4u for fraud purposes. The people at Ebay even admit if this guy is an employee or even the owner they should not be selling on Ebay at all something graded by their company.

Why is TC33 such a cheerleader for PGX? Is there a shill in our midst?

Once again - anyone offers a different perspective or opinion and they get called names in this forum. It appears TC33 was reporting what he had observed first hand from actual submissions. That doesn't make him a shill. Since most of you have sworn you'd never consider even looking at a PGX book, it would seem like his posted would be accepted as someone with recent first person experience.

Is there anyone on this forum that is CERTAIN that Ryan Elliott is the eBay seller DJBRADY4U ? At the not so polite suggestion of someone else on this thread, I decide to dig into this a bit. That person stated Daniel Patterson was DJBRADY4U - which I'm certain is not the case. Others have already confirmed this as well.

If Ryan Elliott is DJBRADY4U on ebay - then who is Barry Gaylor? Barry also lives in the same area as where the books for sale by DJBRADY4U. The books location (on ebay) is listed as Creswell OR - which is 12 miles from Eugene.

More importantly, Barry Gaylor has a website of www.djbrady4u.com that advertises his business - of can you guess? - as a DJ. Business name "Bigger than Most Entertainment". He advertises that he does events in Eugene and Portland Oregon.

I know this because the Whois record for the djbrady4u.com lists Barry Gaylor as the owner of said website. It also lists an email for Mr. Brady, and I have emailed him asking if he is the same DJBRADY4U that sells comics books and related items on eBay. Maybe I'll get a reply.

This does not mean some or all of these people do not know one another. They live in the same area. Perhaps there is some connection and "cooperation". However, Eugene has a population of 156,000 so it's not like some tiny town where everyone knows everyone else and their business.

Has someone actually connected all the dots here and can say for sure who is doing what? Is there a boardie that lives in Eugene and knows these individuals by sight? Talks to them at comic book stores?

Once again - anyone offers a different perspective or opinion and they get called names in this forum. It appears TC33 was reporting what he had observed first hand from actual submissions. That doesn't make him a shill. Since most of you have sworn you'd never consider even looking at a PGX book, it would seem like his posted would be accepted as someone with recent first person experience.

Is there anyone on this forum that is CERTAIN that Ryan Elliott is the eBay seller DJBRADY4U ? At the not so polite suggestion of someone else on this thread, I decide to dig into this a bit. That person stated Daniel Patterson was DJBRADY4U - which I'm certain is not the case. Others have already confirmed this as well.

If Ryan Elliott is DJBRADY4U on ebay - then who is Barry Gaylor? Barry also lives in the same area as where the books for sale by DJBRADY4U. The books location (on ebay) is listed as Creswell OR - which is 12 miles from Eugene.

More importantly, Barry Gaylor has a website of www.djbrady4u.com that advertises his business - of can you guess? - as a DJ. Business name "Bigger than Most Entertainment". He advertises that he does events in Eugene and Portland Oregon.

I know this because the Whois record for the djbrady4u.com lists Barry Gaylor as the owner of said website. It also lists an email for Mr. Brady, and I have emailed him asking if he is the same DJBRADY4U that sells comics books and related items on eBay. Maybe I'll get a reply.

This does not mean some or all of these people do not know one another. They live in the same area. Perhaps there is some connection and "cooperation". However, Eugene has a population of 156,000 so it's not like some tiny town where everyone knows everyone else and their business.

Has someone actually connected all the dots here and can say for sure who is doing what? Is there a boardie that lives in Eugene and knows these individuals by sight? Talks to them at comic book stores?

Well, I misspoke when I said I thought it was Patterson. Someone corrected me and said it is Elliott. Some of the board detectives have put the pieces together. I'm pretty sure they were even able to show the Avengers #4 was the same book regraded by PGX and then resold. I'd suggest reading the old thread (someone linked) or doing a board search for them.

Do you really think we don't know what we are talking about here? this company (PGX) has a long standing history of wrong doing,deviant behavior.It's not my view of this posters difference of opinion,it's fact that they have been less than up front and honest with their business dealings.

O

Well, I misspoke when I said I thought it was Patterson. Someone corrected me and said it is Elliott. Some of the board detectives have put the pieces together. I'm pretty sure they were even able to show the Avengers #4 was the same book regraded by PGX and then resold. I'd suggest reading the old thread (someone linked) or doing a board search for them.

I surely suck at board searches so my apologies if I've missed something that spells it out in detail. I have looked at the link on the Space Vixens and Planet comics and I can see where indeed DJBRADY4u purchased them and then the Space Vixens was graded by PGX as 9.8 and sold.

I've looked at the Avengers 4 link story as well.

I'm not a PGX apologist or shill, I don't know the people being talked about and wouldn't recognize them if I saw them. Since I have used both grading companies I have an interest in the facts - but just the facts. So to that end....

The Space Vixens was advertised by the seller as NM+. The reason we buy raw books on eBay is you sometimes get something as good or better than advertised. The book from the picture looked pretty nice.

The Avengers 4. No doubt in my mind that high end keys benefit $$ wise from CGC slabbing So just being in a PGX holder would have me wondering "why" and looking it over pretty close. But we've all seen books bump three-four grades from cleaning and pressing. An unpressed 8.5 could indeed get to 9.4-9.6. I have books of my own that pressed from 8.0 to 9.4. and I've had numerous 9.0's turn into 9.6-9.8's.

The real proof here would be if either of these books were resubbed to CGC. Anyone know if that was done?

Perhaps in time someone that knows all these folks will chime in. Or maybe my continued digging will find more. But I begin to suspect DJBRADY4U is actually Barry Gaylor. If true, the question is if he's fronting for someone (like Ryan Elliott) at PGX since he seems to routinely acquire a substantial stock of high grade PBX books.

Do you really think we don't know what we are talking about here? this company (PGX) has a long standing history of wrong doing,deviant behavior.It's not my view of this posters difference of opinion,it's fact that they have been less than up front and honest with their business dealings.

There is no reason to believe the poster - TC33 - wasn't being honest and upfront about HIS business dealings with PGX. TC33 was who was called a (PGX) shill.

I'll acknowledge PGX has a checkered history. I intend to form my own opinion on the current company. Does anyone know for sure that Ryan Elliott is selling as DJBRADY4U ? If so, who is Barry Gaylor and where does he fit in the puzzle?

For the record, I believe it is totally unethical for a PGX grader to be buying and selling PGX graded books - especially ones that are graded while he is employed as a grader.

Doesn't board member TOAST live in this area? I thought he posted once that Ryan Elliot called his house threatening him. In his San Diego con report he mentioned flying out of either Eugene or Portland, I forget.

A good suggestion (thumbs u and I may do just that. I'll see what turns up from my digging and other boardies comments. But I've got him on the favorite sellers list and if something inexpensive shows up and we don't have a clear chain of evidence here I'll just buy a book and then ask ebay for contact info.

Right now the cheapest book is an Uncle Scooge 219 signed book. Not only do I own a pretty much perfect raw copy of this book (and a great book it is) but the PGX signature certification process - well - it doesn't seem that PGX follows it's own published guidelines. This book has a certified signature but it doesn't say when or where it was signed. And the PGX website says that information will be noted on the label. I don't care to drop $125 just yet for the information.

Wow, I gave an honest and complete evaluation of my own personal grading experiences and I clarified this was only my own personal evaluation (quite harsh on PGX in several areas) for several groups of submissions. This was a personal experiment to see first hand how things were working over at the other side the past couple years. FYI, I slammed PGX on over grading and other issues several times, yet I guess I can't have anything decent to say on being satisfied with "some" of the higher graded books I got back and some of the restoration they caught without being called a :censored: shill!!! (tsk) How much sense does that make? :slapfight:

I already know first hand that 1.0 to 5.5 range PGX grades are often 1+ grades too soft, but really most people can easily tell that just by looking at the book in the case without even breaking open the slab. (so buy the book, not the slab!) Same goes for CGC for that matter, that is why I (like most collectors) try to buy CGC books that look better than the assigned grade. :) As I have not had any missed resto issues yet from my own PGX experiment, I would like to learn if other people have had personal experiences with missed resto from the past couple of years? I don't doubt it has happened, I just would just like to hear first hand info from other collectors to help satisfy my curiosity how often it still happens?