• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC 2013 - It's Never to Early, Oct 10-13

531 posts in this topic

Just booked my hotel room.

Buy me dinner!

:hi:

Sure!!!

I will now be staying at the New York Marriott Marquis.

It helps that its 430 sq ft big and all rooms have a sofa bed. Even the rooms with two doubles. Room map shows that it may be a PITA to make that work but we only have 3 people in the room for only one night as my buddy Joey has to leave after two nights. :(

Buy me dinner!

Sure!!!

It helps that its 430 sq ft big and all rooms have a sofa bed. Even the rooms with two doubles. Room map shows that it may be a PITA to make that work but we only have 3 people in the room for only one night as my buddy Joey has to leave after two nights. :(

This is one of those times that life gets in the way.

We'll always have London.

Buy me dinner!

Sure!!!

Make sure we hit Little Italy early then.

Buy me dinner!

Sure!!!

We can go Wednesday.

Buy me dinner!

Sure!!!

We can go Wednesday.

:whee:

Buy me dinner!

Sure!!!

We can go Wednesday.

Love that place. How about Thursday?

Buy me dinner!

Sure!!!

We can go Wednesday.

Love that place. How about Thursday?

(thumbs u

Hi:

Found this deal on Groupon for a NYC hotel for those out of towners coming into the city for the NYCC. Not sure if it helps but thought I'd share what I've found:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-bk-the-double-tree-by-hilton-hotel-metropolitan-new-york-city-2?p=1&utm_source=channel_getaways-deals&utm_medium=email&sid=73f90852-81c6-4aaf-b561-aaedf5de09f4&user=6d825644460c20afc7c8c0047b25e0fc01fe94b543acae4430d6597647017691&date=20130806&s=body&c=title&d=Getaways_deal

Also found out that Saturday Tickets have completely sold out. Not sure if that's the case with retail vendors like MIDTOWN COMICS or FORBIDDEN PLANET.

I live really near the Javits center and will try to post some advice when I can.

the advice already given is very good - what you want to do, no matter where you stay, is make sure that you can get to Penn Station or Herald Square reasonably quickly. This means you want to have good access to the following subway lines:

A, C, E, 1, 2, 3 - Penn Station

B, D, F, M, N, Q, R - Herald Square

Here is a link to the subway map: http://www.mta.info/maps/submap.html

the advice to stay in Hoboken or Jersey City is good, as long as you can easily get to the Path train (which takes you to Herald Square)

Eating: Yeah, the Javits center is really out there, but along the way walking there you'll find a Chipolte (34 between 8th and 9th) and on 9th avenue there are a number of reasonably cheap places to eat. But definitely bring your own water & snacks! You can grab some stuff at the Duane Reade (a local mega drugstore chain, part of Walgreen's now) on 34th & 8th when you get to the area.

for night time, one of the best pizzerias in the city is on 8th avenue, between 30th & 31st - Pizza Suprema - it looks like just a regular joint, but it's amazing. There's also Co. at 24th and 9th which is more sit-down up-scale. I'd also highly recommend getting tickets for the Upright Citizen's Brigade Theater (26th & 8th - google it, it's cheap!) and checking out the Highline Park.

please feel free to ask questions (but PM me to let me know!)

I have a question someone here might know from years past at NYCC. If CGC is taking submissions and i drop off 2 silver age comics to be graded on saturday morning, would i be likely to pick them up sunday night or would they be mailed back to me? Do i need to package the comics before i bring them or do i just hand them over? thanks

I have a question someone here might know from years past at NYCC. If CGC is taking submissions and i drop off 2 silver age comics to be graded on saturday morning, would i be likely to pick them up sunday night or would they be mailed back to me? Do i need to package the comics before i bring them or do i just hand them over? thanks

They don't do on-site grading at NYCC as it is a big place and pretty chaotic. If you go to www.cgccomics.com and look at the other locations CGC will be attending, they'll state specifically if they do on-site grading.

You need to fill out the CGC form, hand them your comics and tell them which shipper you want to use (USPS or UPS). I believe you can expedite the grading prcess with Fast Track for an add'l $10. CGC Fee for Processing paperwork is $5. Grading Silver Age books are higher than Modern Age. If they're key issues and of higher value, the grading fee may go up. Just ask the CGC Booth. Everyone there is extremely friendly.

Hope this helps. Been doing this for over a year and have been addicted ever since!