• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC 2013 - It's Never to Early, Oct 10-13

531 posts in this topic

There might be issues for those who are waiting to purchase their tickets in comic book stores. MIDTOWN COMICS - Downtown Store has a line around the block to buy tickets. Also believe only 1 day tickets are being sold, not 3 or 4 day tickets.

Anything left over will be sent to their other 2 stores but I'm not sure they'll be anything left considering how crazy ticket sales are on Ebay. Check it out:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=NYCC+ticket&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I'm not a fan of people buying tickets and asking for crazy money for them as it creates a big scalpers market. It's bad enough for Broadway shows and baseball tickets, now comic conventions?

To those buying tickets in comic shops, good luck as you'll certainly need it.

There might be issues for those who are waiting to purchase their tickets in comic book stores. MIDTOWN COMICS - Downtown Store has a line around the block to buy tickets. Also believe only 1 day tickets are being sold, not 3 or 4 day tickets.

Anything left over will be sent to their other 2 stores but I'm not sure they'll be anything left considering how crazy ticket sales are on Ebay. Check it out:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=NYCC+ticket&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I'm not a fan of people buying tickets and asking for crazy money for them as it creates a big scalpers market. It's bad enough for Broadway shows and baseball tickets, now comic conventions?

Spoke to one of the workers for Midtown Comics, was told the other stores have their own tickets. The line was insane for downtown, better to wait till tomorrow, or even Monday when all stores get their orders of tickets.

Spoke to one of the workers for Midtown Comics, was told the other stores have their own tickets. The line was insane for downtown, better to wait till tomorrow, or even Monday when all stores get their orders of tickets.

Yeah, all Midtown comics' stores will have their own tickets. Just get them on Monday. Forbidden Planet, Kinokuniya Book Store and Montasy Comics will all have 3-day and Saturday passes. Kinokuniya Book Store and Montasy Comics are both within 4 blocks of Midtown Comics' Time Square store.

Plus there are other places to get tickets: http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/Buy-Tickets/Retailer-Tickets/

Why would you only go and buy from Midtown Comics?

Yeah, all Midtown comics' stores will have their own tickets. Just get them on Monday. Forbidden Planet, Kinokuniya Book Store and Montasy Comics will all have 3-day and Saturday passes. Kinokuniya Book Store and Montasy Comics are both within 4 blocks of Midtown Comics' Time Square store.

Plus there are other places to get tickets: http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/Buy-Tickets/Retailer-Tickets/

I bought my 4 Day VIP ticket the minute they started selling them online. It's my friend's wife and bro that need tickets because they suddenly want to go to the con.

Usually other shops have tickets but NYCC organizer have made a few of them unhappy with the way the tickets have been distributed. Only reason I know is I personally called a few about it. I guess we'll really know how good or bad the ticket situation is in the next few days.

I already have my ticket but the reason Midtown could be a safe bet is that they claim they have more than enough tickets. We will see how that works out over the next couple days but they probably get more than the other stores.

This will be my first NYCC (even though of all the people on this board, I probably live closest! ;-) )

If I'm just more interested in going to buy stuff, which is the best day - Friday or Sunday?

Also, are the dealer tickets cheaper than the on-line? (just trying to figure out the advantage of buying at a dealer... other than being about to get a Saturday ticket...)

This will be my first NYCC (even though of all the people on this board, I probably live closest! ;-) )

If I'm just more interested in going to buy stuff, which is the best day - Friday or Sunday?

Also, are the dealer tickets cheaper than the on-line? (just trying to figure out the advantage of buying at a dealer... other than being about to get a Saturday ticket...)

From what I've heard, the ticket prices are the same. It won't be cheaper. If you're just going there to shop, get the Sunday ticket. Back in 2011, I got some sweet deals on Sunday. Every dealer who wanted to make money had deals.

From what I've heard, the ticket prices are the same. It won't be cheaper. If you're just going there to shop, get the Sunday ticket. Back in 2011, I got some sweet deals on Sunday. Every dealer who wanted to make money had deals.

Thanks for your advice!

Friday may be a cheaper ticket than Sunday but Sunday is when you really get the sweet deal. Many dealers want to take less back than what they brought. As such, they're more open to making great deals a few hours before the end of the show then they would at the beginning of the show.

Now if it's an exclusive item you're looking to get, the earlier you get to the con the better. If that's not your goal and getting deals on comics, toys and statues are, then go on Sunday.

Although I bought tickets online, I needed an extra. I walked into Midtown Comics (Times Square) today at 11:30 AM and bought a 4 day badge. No line. :banana:

When tix went on sale yesterday (Midtown Comics - Downtown) there was a frenzy and most people waited on line an average of 6 hours. :sick:

Surprisingly, 3 day tix are sold out at all Midtown Comics locations. Plenty of 4 day badges and individual day badges are available. As co-sponsors of NYCC, Midtown is only retailer that has the 4 day badge.

Other stores like Forbidden Planet will start selling their allotment on Monday. There should be enough 3 day and individual passes for sale at Forbidden Planet.

Cheers!

N.

will walking dead actors be there? I'm guessing yes since they are on the badges...i hope there are some good celebrities this year..last year I got Bill Paxton from Aliens and The Doc from back to the future autographs.

Some WD cast members should be there but they might charge for autographs.

2 years ago, before the show aired, the entire cast was there. AMC wanted them to promote the show. No one knew who they were. Andrew Lincoln even had the sheriff's hat on. People were thrown off by the British accent. He was friendly and trying to explain the show.

Fans did know Robert Kirkman as he was signing copies of comics for fans (for free as always).

A year later, the cast became rock stars.

I believe a few of the cast were at the Wizard shows this year and charged for autographs. :sick:

NYCC has been slow with announcing guests this year.

Cheers!

N.

With SDCC (paid) attendance at a measly 125,000, I will go out on a limb here and say this year, NYCC's numbers will be higher.

Last year NYCC was at 116,000. Part of the Javitz convention center was under renovation. This year, with the extra space available, they should be able to sell more tickets. Pretty amazing when you consider SDCC has about 4x the convention space than NYCC.

Cheers!

N.

Saturday is definitely the worst day. Last year the bottleneck was the single security checkpoint. The organizers have promised more entrances and exits this year.

The badges now have RFID chips embedded in them to allow staff with portable scanners to move people in/out faster. It will also eliminate counterfeit badges (which contributed to the overcrowding).

The downside is the ability to track your every move.

Thankfully, I spent the majority of my time in artist alley. Last year it was in a separate wing the size of an airplane hangar. Crowded but still room to breathe. Plenty of restrooms in that section as well. (thumbs u

Cheers!

N.