• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to securely mail in comics to CGC? I don't trust cardboard!

19 posts in this topic

hi y'all

i have some books to send in for CGC grading, and even though i use the "heavy" corrugated cardboard, sometimes 2 or 3 pieces on each side of a comic, i'm just not convinced that this method is damage proof. even that much cardboard could still bend or dent

anybody have suggestions?

thanks - - much appreciated!

Lots of taoe, lots of cardboard, lots of bubble wrap, double boxed. The key is to make sure your comics don't move around and can survive being dropped, thrown or crushed.

You also have to let go of the trepidation of mailing your gems to CGC. It's hard to do. My first time submitting, I sent the most expensive raws in my collection (at the time) and it was torturous wondering if they got damaged. I packed 'em tight and they were just fine.

also,....

do you insure?

do you send priority mail? or some other expensive service (fed ex, etc.)?

thanks again

Mostly what Dr.Balls said. Everything ships safer in a sturdy box that is large enough to allow for cushioning material around the top, bottom and all four sides. If the books can't move around and are not touching the box, you should be fine.

Priority mail is fine.

Insurance? Think about it. If the post office lets it fall off the truck and it's picked up by a homeless guy who sells your books to the nearest comic book store for 10cents on the dollar, would you be upset? Yes - you insure the package for what it is worth. If it is worth more than about $1000, sending it registered (post office service) is both safer still and less expensive.

I have private insurance and they cover me if anything happens. I just need to use signature confirmation or express mail. When you buy postal insurance it's not hard for postal employees to figure out how much your package is worth. Obviously the package that has a $50 label vs a $10 label is going to be a bigger target.

I have private insurance and they cover me if anything happens. I just need to use signature confirmation or express mail. When you buy postal insurance it's not hard for postal employees to figure out how much your package is worth. Obviously the package that has a $50 label vs a $10 label is going to be a bigger target.

Private shipping insurance (usually as part of a collectors policy) is a great money saving idea - especially if you ship regularly and ship some expensive packages. But policies start around $250 a year and there is typically a deductible - mine $200. So if you ship mostly inexpensive packages there is not much value there. You still pay for insurance or choose to ship at your risk.

If the postage costs are coming up at more than $30 you need to forget regular mail and ship registered. It travels a little slower but loss or damage is all but unheard of. Every person that touches the box has to sign for it and when not traveling it's locked up.

Which is boozad's thread, Sulphur.

Yes, I think you can ship books safely in cardboard envelopes too, provided you use kind of cardboard which is enough stiff, and the bubble wrapping. Of course, this is for a limited number of comics.

Link.

Double wall cardboard has never let me down yet.