• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book art you just don't like.

423 posts in this topic

I love painted comics! Sienkiewicz was (and is) one of my all-time favorite artists. Elektra Assasin and Moby were awesome. I loved the switch to an original style. As the father of the Graphic Novel, think about what wouldn't have happened if he hadn't stepped out....

That being said, I can see why some don't like him. I just happened to be exposed to his art when I was young and impressionable. If I had grown up with Ditko and Colan, I might feel otherwise.

I also have to give a shout out to David Mack. His painted work for DD vol 2 was simply awesome.

I also enjoy Maleev's work, especially when paired with Bendis's moody dialogue. My only critique of him is the obvious photographic tracing he employs from time-to-time for certain panels - made worse by replicating the same traced-panel 8 times only zooming in a bit each time. That's just lazy.

In the same vein, I also like exaggerated styles as well. McFarlane, Larsen, and Campbell come to mind. Never did like Liefeld or Bagely though, I guess I just prefer a certain type of exaggeration.

I know a lot of people don't, but I like Sienkiewicz and really like his work on Elektra Assassin.

ac667735.jpg

And if anyone didn't think marijauna kills brain cells, here's your proof.

28980476.jpg

I think I spent 30 seconds typing that post and that was the first time I've ever beached about him.

ac667735.jpg

And if anyone didn't think marijauna kills brain cells, here's your proof.

28980476.jpg

I think I spent 30 seconds typing that post and that was the first time I've ever beached about him.

He was talking about me. I take every opportunity I can to laugh at Humberto Ramos, and have been doing it since these Boards started ;)

That's what Simonson's work looks like these days? :sick:

Unless I am thinking of another Avengers book, that's NOT Walt inking himself and that's certainly not someone like Laura Martin on the colors.

It make a tremendous difference.

Alex Maleev's artwork offended me when he used Robert DeNiro as a photo reference for Sub-Mariner. Plus, neither the linework or layouts are appealing.

I want to see that artwork.

namor_deniro.jpg

Unless I am thinking of another Avengers book, that's NOT Walt inking himself and that's certainly not someone like Laura Martin on the colors.

Are you saying that a Kirby/Harmon original wouldn't look as good as a Kirby/Royer original?

Agreed.

Humberto Ramos.

Thread closed, none are worse.

Yeah, he's bad. I think he has finally given up the spider man flippers

and hot dog fingers which is a move in the right direction.

I would like to add Eric Canete as well. What a turd!

131280.jpg

:P

You've posted that single panel before, haven't you?

Canete is a friggin genius and the sum total of his body of work is pretty damn impressive.

Anyone can render a panel that isn't pablum to the drooling masses, not just anyone can create they way Eric does.

I'll say it because it has to be said:

STEVE DITKO SUCKS.

Man that felt good.

Yes, I understand what he is going for. He is just terrible, the way Frank Robbins is terrible.

I know he is a sacred cow, and I imagine there will be a contrary opinion or two in response, but his work is just awful and amateurish. As for myself, I graduated top of my class from the Massachusetts College of Art, and have been a successful art director for over 20 years. This doesn't make me "right," as art is subjective, but I do believe it lends weight to my (professional) opinion. You may now pile on.

Are you saying that a Kirby/Harmon original wouldn't look as good as a Kirby/Royer original?

It would not look as good....it would look BETTER!!!

Humberto Ramos.

131280.jpg

You've posted that single panel before haven't you.

Canete is a friggin genius and the sum total of his body of work is pretty damn impressive.

Anyone can render a panel that isn't pablum to the drooling masses, not just anyone can create they way Eric does.

You actually like his art in The End League?

I don't like a lot of the new art from the last 10 years. It is clear the artists are skilled, what I don't like is that the panels are so detailed and the artist uses the same line weight throughout the entire page what you lose is a sense of foreground - middleground - background. It makes it a complete chore to even look at the page.

I also really hate the over detailed stuff out there. Like this:

InvincibleIronMan01_QuesadaCover.jpg

No denying the skill of the artist, but does every single surface of the armor need a squiggle/detail?

STEVE DITKO SUCKS.

Man that felt good.

Yes, I understand what he is going for. He is just terrible, the way Frank Robbins is terrible.

I know he is a sacred cow, and I imagine there will be a contrary opinion or two in response, but his work is just awful and amateurish. As for myself, I graduated top of my class from the Massachusetts College of Art, and have been a successful art director for over 20 years. This doesn't make me "right," as art is subjective, but I do believe it lends weight to my (professional) opinion. You may now pile on.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course...but the resume recitation reminded me of this somehow. lol

STEVE DITKO SUCKS.

Man that felt good.

No way you can compare Ditko to Robbins.

Humberto Ramos.

131280.jpg

You've posted that single panel before haven't you.

You actually like his art in The End League?

I don't read a lot of new comics, at least outside of indies, but I have seen dozens of Eric's covers, paintings and stand alone works and the guy has a gift that might be misplaced in comics and is certainly not something that's going to get appreciated by the generic "Tights and Boobs" crowd.

Alex Maleev's artwork offended me when he used Robert DeNiro as a photo reference for Sub-Mariner. Plus, neither the linework or layouts are appealing.

I want to see that artwork.

namor_deniro.jpg

Oh my - how terrible is that doh!