• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hurricane Sandy

245 posts in this topic

Pretty consistent at 35 to 40 mph here with gusts over 60. I live on a small pond, it's cool to see the white caps, but scary to see all of the diseased trees around my house rocking back and forth and some of the branches hitting the house.

Billy Tucci & others posted on Facebook pic that the honor guard is still @ the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in DC

They are always there.

Someone posted a pic in the WC, but Blowie found out it was from earlier this year.

Still, they are always there. They don't abandon the post. If you're ever in DC for a visit and you have the time, you should try and visit Arlington and watch the Changing of the Guard at the T.O.U.S. Well worth it. (thumbs u

Up in one of the highest points in Manhattan here with the wind wailing away across the Hudson and the windows pelted with rain. It's going to be very interesting to see what happens with the storm surge + astronomical high tide in NYC tonight. The flooding of low-lying areas could be unprecedented, even worse than 1960 when Donna pushed 3 ft+ of water into areas of downtown. I suspect we haven't seen the worst of this one yet... :eek:

We (in NYC) were very lucky with Irene, but there were a lot of surrounding areas of NY, NJ, and CT that suffered very serious flooding, power outages, and infrastructure damage. This could be exponentially more serious over a much larger area.

When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping.

Instead of sitting around fretting over the storm, I decided to do some Christmas shopping. Found out Half Ouff Depot was having a 40% off sale so I got half my Cristmas presents taken care of.

Every storm cloud has its silver lining.

Pretty consistent at 35 to 40 mph here with gusts over 60. I live on a small pond, it's cool to see the white caps, but scary to see all of the diseased trees around my house rocking back and forth and some of the branches hitting the house.

30-40 mph winds with 60 mph gusts is pretty standard stuff where I live. I'm waiting to hear about the sustained 100 mph winds they were talking about on the news at noon. That's when you'll need to worry about those trees. Not sure what the leaf situation is on the trees out East - but hopefully many have already fallen off and reducing wind resistance. Having trees downed can do serious damage.

Does anyone in NYC know if street sweeping is suspended on tuesday?

To make a long story short - I'm in queens, my car's in brooklyn and public transit is suspended, leaving me no way to get to my car and move it if I need to. And I didn't want to assume that it's cancelled tomorrow just because it is today.

From the NYC DOT site:

Alternate Side Parking (street cleaning) rules and parking meter rules are suspended citywide Monday, October 29 and Tuesday, October 30 due to weather conditions.