• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion.

576 posts in this topic

just saw this on CNBC.

It's official, I am quitting my corporate IT job and going to work for Disney. (haven't told the wife yet) :)

I would love to be part of this experience!

Personally, I am excited about this news. I think Disney has done a great job with Marvel and they have what it takes to reboot Star Wars. The rumors I am hearing from a friend who works for Disney says that the Thrawn Trilogy is not off the table as a possible option for the next three movies. Lucas has always wanted to make 9 movies. The last 3 he waited until technology caught up with his vision and then the next three he would do after the original actors naturally aged. I think with what we have seen with movies like 'The Avengers', Avatar, and now 'Cloud Atlas', anything is possible!

But I am seriously thinking about how I could somehow get on this project! hm

I find its always a sad day when your own peers attack you because it most certainly means that the people who find us risible have won for one more day.

No it doesn't. It demonstrates some sanity within our ranks.

Folks our age who insist on 4-6 are really insisting on their childhood, not the cinematic merits of Star Wars.

That's a very eloquent way of saying they've gotten old and crusty. :preach::baiting:

(worship)

It's also another way of describing bitter-clinger fanboy syndrome.

I've looked, but I can't find an eloquent way of saying head in arse syndrome hm

Dinner at Casey's?

Sorry, I don't have any Skittles or Schlitz for you :sorry:

You don't have Skittlebrau?

skittlebrau.jpg

made by the cast and crew with all the knowledge of an already existing Star wars universe.This is what taints the films.

They thought nothing can go wrong and how could they ever fail,but it most certainly did.They forgot the heart and went for the plot holes,the cheesy love scenes,the fat...creatures

I know. I thought Return of the Jedi was junque too.

Spock < Solo

Solo < Spock < Starbuck

Solo is better than damn near any sci-fi character ever. Starbucks couldnt carry Chewbacca's electric clippers. :sumo:

Wrong.

James T Kirk > all science fiction characters across all media + all television characters ever created

I've seen Lucas on the Daily Show a few times over the last year or two...he seems a lot looser now than he used to. The fact that he's willing to bury the hatchet over what Hamill said about him makes me think he took a look at himself at some point over the last decade and didn't like what he saw and is willing to forgive Hamill's rudeness, possibly because there was some truth to it. Good for him! :applause:

And not to be snarky but keeping in mind they do whatever they want to regardless of what Zahn said in his book or wrote. Zahns opinion probably means bupkis

I thought Lucasfilm has tried for years to keep the continuity straight and have rejected hundreds of ideas from novels/comics/games/etc that broke continuity? Are they less strict than I've heard?

Spock < Solo

Solo < Spock < Starbuck

Solo is better than damn near any sci-fi character ever. Starbucks couldnt carry Chewbacca's electric clippers. :sumo:

Wrong.

James T Kirk > all science fiction characters across all media + all television characters ever created

I'd call this a ^^ if it was so patently obvious!! (worship)

He has said a few times that Vader is modeled after the part of himself that decided to build a big corporation, that he himself started out as idealistic and ended up selling out and becoming evil as Anakin did...guess he's similarly turning back from the dark side in his old age. :angel:

And not to be snarky but keeping in mind they do whatever they want to regardless of what Zahn said in his book or wrote. Zahns opinion probably means bupkis

I thought Lucasfilm has tried for years to keep the continuity straight and have rejected hundreds of ideas from novels/comics/games/etc that broke continuity? Are they less strict than I've heard?

Star Wars Canon

In 2000, Lucas Licensing appointed Leland Chee to create a continuity tracking database referred to as the "Holocron". As with every other aspect having to do with the overall story of Star Wars, the Holocron follows the canon policy that has been in effect for years.

The Holocron is divided into five levels (in order of precedence): G-canon, T-canon, C-canon, S-canon, and N-canon.

G-canon is absolute canon; the movies (their most recent release), the scripts, the novelizations of the movies, the radio plays, and any statements by George Lucas himself. G-canon overrides the lower levels of canon when there is a contradiction. Within G-canon, many fans follow an unofficial progression of canonicity where the movies are the highest canon, followed by the scripts, the novelizations, and then the radio plays.

T-canon[4] refers to the canon level comprising only the two television shows: Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the Star Wars live-action TV series. Its precedence over C-Level canon was confirmed by Chee.[5]

C-canon is primarily composed of elements from the Expanded Universe including books, comics, and games bearing the label of Star Wars. Games and RPG sourcebooks are a special case; the stories and general background information are themselves fully C-canon, but the other elements such as character/item statistics and gameplay are, with few exceptions, N-canon.

S-canon is secondary canon; the story itself is considered non-continuity, but the non-contradicting elements are still a canon part of the Star Wars universe. This includes things like the online roleplaying game Star Wars: Galaxies and certain elements of a few N-canon stories.

N-canon is non-canon. "What-if" stories (such as stories published under the Star Wars: Infinities label), crossover appearances (such as the Star Wars character appearances in Soulcalibur IV), game statistics, and anything else directly contradicted by higher canon ends up here. N-canon is the only level that is not considered official canon by Lucasfilm. A significant amount of material that was previously C-canon was rendered N-canon by the release of Episodes I–III.

Judging by that last line, it seems likely that the Thrawn trilogy will be demoted from C-canon to N-canon if necessitated by future film releases.

Wow! I know he championed education charities...this is VERY generous. Looks like he went from evil emperor to humble jedi in no time. Bravo, Lucas! This does imply then that he's selling his Disney shares?

Now that's how an already cool story gets even better. (thumbs u

I guess Spielberg and everyone that know Lucas personally where right about him having a big heart. :)

This photo tells you more about his heart than his business acumen.

This man deserves our thanks for the epic universe he's been shepherding on our behalf.

The Clone Wars cartoon alone is enough to hold us in his debt for life.

Something in my gut tells me that George is not healthy and that the next announcement will be that he is either sick or deceased.

That is a excellent point. Honestly the thought never passed my mind, but would make sense.

He also stepped down from LFL less than 6 months ago as a transition into retirement and handed the reigns over to Kathleen Kennedy. This coming so soon after that occurring also lead me to believe he may have health issues. Especially since he has been so controlling over Star Wars these years for him to say it's now time for a new generation of film makers to take over the franchise sounds very out of character.

Interesting point, but regardless it's his decision to make--and if it's simply retirement he's definitely deserved it. I will be keeping my ears to the ground though.

Maybe now he will lay off all the artwork. He's always got first crack at all the Star Wars and Indy stuff and has had his people go looking for older stuff in private collections.

No doubt. I would love a Byrne Indy page for my office. :wishluck:

I guess Spielberg and everyone that know Lucas personally where right about him having a big heart. :)

This photo tells you more about his heart than his business acumen.

This man deserves our thanks for the epic universe he's been shepherding on our behalf.

The Clone Wars cartoon alone is enough to hold us in his debt for life.

That's true...if I had to pick the one thing he's created that I have enjoyed almost to the level of ESB it would be the Clone Wars Series. It's, hands down, better than everything else.

And it looks like it gives him a chance to avoid giving away a sizable chunk to the IRS by having it transferred to a charitable organization. The money would be more kindling on the fire to the government, but in a properly run charity it may actually do some good. :applause: