• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion.

576 posts in this topic

Just doesn't make any sense.

If fantasy making sense is high on your list of priorities, you may want to consider other interests.

I do like things to be logically sound. Fantasy doesn't imply stupidity. It implies suspension of disbelief, not suspension of intelligence.

Ooo, better zing.

First one was snappier.

True, but he doesn't man Mackenzie999's booth at cons lol

If fantasy making sense is high on your list of priorities, you may want to consider other interests.

I do like things to be logically sound. Fantasy doesn't imply stupidity. It implies suspension of disbelief, not suspension of intelligence.

Ooo, better zing.

First one was snappier.

As a shill for Roberts, I gotta job to do here, Balls.

Ooo, better zing.

First one was snappier.

its all about team

Ooo, better zing.

First one was snappier.

its all about team

You can't spell "meat" without "team"...wait, what?

Ooo, better zing.

First one was snappier.

its all about team

Depending upon which company you prefer...

He's the Pluto to my Mickey, or he's my Padawan.

Ooo, better zing.

First one was snappier.

its all about team

Is Watson your Donald Duck?

Ooo, better zing.

First one was snappier.

its all about team

Is Watson your Donald Duck?

I figured Tupp was his sand worm. (shrug)

Well I guess a Star Wars Theme park would fit in next to the Epcot center in the Disney World.

Lucasfilm has been present for well over a decade at Disney. Indiana Jones Stunt Show, Star Tours ride, Star Wars Weekends, exclusive merchandise, etc etc. I'd love to see it expanded to a full theme park.

Well I guess a Star Wars Theme park would fit in next to the Epcot center in the Disney World.

Lucasfilm has been present for well over a decade at Disney. Indiana Jones Stunt Show, Star Tours ride, Star Wars Weekends, exclusive merchandise, etc etc. I'd love to see it expanded to a full theme park.

I'd also love to see a true superhero-only themed park as well at Disney. I love the Marvel set-up at Universal Islands of Adventure, but I wonder what Disney could do with the characters on a larger scale if/when the Universal park rights run out. Maybe they could merge a Star Wars/Marvel park together? hm

I'd also love to see a true superhero-only themed park as well at Disney. I love the Marvel set-up at Universal Islands of Adventure, but I wonder what Disney could do with the characters on a larger scale if/when the Universal park rights run out. Maybe they could merge a Star Wars/Marvel park together? hm

+1 :golfclap:

Pardon this long post, as I have been up most of the night and live an hour from Philly. We recovered from Hurricane Sandy just over the last few days. My posting has remained 'sparse' over the last week or so. I hope all those who survived this massive storm are safe and sound!

As an investor in Disney, I am excited of the news and was both surprised and NOT so surprised when the news first broke. This is sort of an odd statement to say the least.

First, Disney has made it fairly clear that they are looking to buy other properties.In fact when I was watching CNBC one day at work, I do recall a few years back that Disney had made plans to start looking to buy other properties that they thought could add value to their own portfolio. I was also equally in 'awe' when they bought Marvel Comics. Thus far, that deal has worked out well for Disney, Marvel Comics, and the true enthusiasts of the brand. I think they will stay true to Marvel Comics and the history of the brand as well.

As for Star Wars, I am a little more cautious. I could tell that George Lucas seemed to be getting annoyed at his hardcore fan base who kept criticizing every remake or update (i.e. change) he made to the original trilogy. In his defense (and I solely agree with him on this), it is HIS creation to do as he pleases. While I will always know that 'Han shot first;' if Lucas feels a need to change this and add other scenes, it is HIS OWN right. During a lot of the interviews concerning the release of the 'prequels' and the criticism he received, one could tell he was upset and frustrated by this. Personally, I LOVED Revenge of the Sith and consider it one of the best Star Wars films ever. It is in my opinion, much better than watching the Ewoks running around ruining my hopes of having an awesome ending to the Return of the Jedi. I think most will agree to that.

Lucas was also not very well versed in writing good dialogue between charcaters. This is evident by the simple 'one liners' that occupy most of the Star Wars films. Some of these lines are classics. Who could forget one of my favorite lines, 'He is no good to me dead' or 'Master Yoda, you survived!' I worry that Disney may not be able to mesh both the story and dialogue seemlessly to create a well thought out third trilogy. I also do worry that it may become FULLY COMPUTER GENERATED. In my opinion, this would kill the property. While I doubt Disney would do this, there still is a possibility that the franchise could face that kind of fate.

On a positive note, I think everyone can agree that as long as Lucas held the rights to Star Wars, virtually no more full feature length films would be made. At least Disney will allow more films to be made and as long as they are released in a trilogy format and done well, this may be the best thing to happen to the franchise since it was created. My issue with Lucas was one of stagnation. Due to the massive amounts of licensing revenue streams the Star Wars franchise generates, Lucas became more interested in selling the 'rights' to other companies then moving the franchise forward. In my opinion, the decision to lengthen the Lego Star Wars license will hurt the value of these products on the secondary market overall (how many different versions of the Slave I do we need?). This is NEVER a good sign and just shows how success can cause a franchise to remain stale and boring over time.

In conclusion, I have high hopes for the next film and hope they continue to release these films as part of a planned trilogy. Otherwise I fear that Star Wars may become the next Star Trek franchise, with films being made that serve no basis or relation to other films in the series (much like what happened to the Star Trek:The Next Generation films). At this point, the Star Trek series continues to serve only one purpose; make money for Paramount Pictures. It is ashame as this franchise had a lot of hope and promise as well...many years ago. For the reord, I was always a Deep Space Nine fan myself!

Thanks for reading!

Respectfully,

'mint'